Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm New To Xbox Megathread : CHRISTMAS 2015 EDITION

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Faker74 wrote:
    I do not have a Kinect, but I do have the Xbox Media Remote if that makes any difference

Kinect is what controls the other devices as it has ir built in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

For those looking for a controller check out adverts, got a controller and kinect for 40

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

A note on "download code" games: as far as I can tell only the person who redeemed the code can play it.

So if you've got 3 Xbox users set up for you and your kids, and kid 1 redeems the code to download the game, only they can play it.

There is a setting which lets them set their user as "open" or something, and then people can use their downloaded games, but I'm not 100% sure how that works.

This doesn't apply to disc based games, you can just put in the disc and anyone can play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

A note on "download code" games: as far as I can tell only the person who redeemed the code can play it.

So if you've got 3 Xbox users set up for you and your kids, and kid 1 redeems the code to download the game, only they can play it.

There is a setting which lets them set their user as "open" or something, and then people can use their downloaded games, but I'm not 100% sure how that works.

This doesn't apply to disc based games, you can just put in the disc and anyone can play.

So long as that account is signed into the Xbox, then the game will work. You can sign in through the guide, so it's pretty easy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Kinect is what controls the other devices as it has ir built in

Well that is a pain! Looks like I'll be keeping it all separate so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Rayman and Halo are both good options. Specially if you (or someone else) plays with him. They good on they're own but even better with someone else.

FWIW, Rayman is the game of choice for my 8yr old (girl) and 6 (boy) even though they've completed it a few times. He says he's done with the Lego games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Getting a Xbox One for the young lad for Christmas.
    Can anyone recommend some good sites for buying games?

One stipulation though, I live on the mainland and many Irish & UK sites won't post to here. Usually I buy from Amazon, but there's got to be others that offer more value.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

One stipulation though, I live on the mainland and many Irish & UK sites won't post to here. Usually I buy from Amazon, but there's got to be others that offer more value.

Cheers

Mainland? (Europe?) As in France or? Just be easier to help you if we knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Cheers

Amazon.es/de/it would be worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Set the xbox as "home" for each of the kids profiles?

• Advertisement

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Mainland? (Europe?) As in France or? Just be easier to help you if we knew.

Sorry, Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

CatInABox wrote: »
    So long as that account is signed into the Xbox, then the game will work. You can sign in through the guide, so it's pretty easy too.
    maximoose wrote: »
    Set the xbox as "home" for each of the kids profiles?

As far as I know, only one person can set the console as their "home" console.

whoever owns that account should redeem any codes, that'll allow anyone else to play that game then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

How do you set up a child account?

I created an account for me and one for the son, then logged into son's account to add Gold, but it still wants a credit card. He doesn't have a credit card! Does it not work from my account's payment method?

For example, with Apple, when he wants to buy something, I get prompted on my devices, and I can approve or reject the transaction, and it uses my card for payments.

Thanks.

JoyPad wrote: »

I created an account for me and one for the son, then logged into son's account to add Gold, but it still wants a credit card. He doesn't have a credit card! Does it not work from my account's payment method?

For example, with Apple, when he wants to buy something, I get prompted on my devices, and I can approve or reject the transaction, and it uses my card for payments.

Thanks.

Add your paypal account to his, that should work

Add your paypal account to his, that should work

And then he can buy whatever he wants from the store? No, thanks.

UPDATE: spoke to Microsoft support and he advised to use codes. I buy nominal value digital codes, he redeems into his account, and can only spend that much. Top up as needed. No card, no paypal.

And then he can buy whatever he wants from the store? No, thanks.

https://support.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-one/security/prevent-unauthorized-purchases

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Thanks.

One Gold account per Xbox should be all you need, so you could register yourself as Gold and he'd be able to piggy back off that.

He might need to be registered as Family for this to work but that's probably worth doing too. They've changed the dashboard recently so can't say exactly how but I did it by logging into my own account, going to settings and was able to set him to Family there.

The XBox will be in his room, and I don't intend to have an account on it.
    He's going to decide what to buy with his own money, which he earns by doing well in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Picking up a used console today is there anything i should be checking/common faults?
    Also where is the cheapest place to buy the yearly sub?
    And just to confirm all games are region free?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

cadete wrote: »
    Picking up a used console today is there anything i should be checking/common faults?

Nothing has really come up so far, MS didn't want another widespread console unit failure like the 360, the Xbox One is well ventilated.

Cheapxboxlivecodes.con are terrific, a year sub is 22 pounds and you get it quickly via email.

Xbox One and PS4 are region free. Wii U isn't.

• Advertisement

cdkeys.com is a couple euro cheaper for the 1 year xbox live: http://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/memberships/12-month-xbox-live-gold-membership-xbox-360

Liking their facebook page will give you a further 5% off discount code.

Hi Folks,

Does anyone have much experience using the Digital TV Tuner on the Xbox one.

I currently have sky tv in the house. Could I disconnect the skybox, use the statellit in cable from that into the digital tv tuner? If so what channels would I then pick up?

Cheers

Faker74 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Does anyone have much experience using the Digital TV Tuner on the Xbox one.

I currently have sky tv in the house. Could I disconnect the skybox, use the statellit in cable from that into the digital tv tuner? If so what channels would I then pick up?

Cheers

No, it won't work with satellite. It will only work with coaxial cable from aerials meant for Saorview etc.

You would pick up all the Saorview channels, and if you live in Northern Ireland you would get the bbcs etc too.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    No, it won't work with satellite. It will only work with coaxial cable from aerials meant for Saorview etc.

You would pick up all the Saorview channels, and if you live in Northern Ireland you would get the bbcs etc too.

Not in the north so no BBC for me.

Renting the house, need to check if there is an aerial in place, think it is the dish only. Don't recall seeing the coax cable.

Faker74 wrote: »
    Not in the north so no BBC for me.

Renting the house, need to check if there is an aerial in place, think it is the dish only. Don't recall seeing the coax cable.

It works with a standard indoor aerial for me, worth a try.

cadete wrote: »

i would check the disc drive with a few games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Hi, total newbie here. Bought an Xbox One for my kids for Crimbo. It came with FIFA16 on it, and have also bought Minecraft. The daughter wants a Sonic game and I believe that it is now possible to buy an Xbox 360 version of the game and it will work on the One?

Couple of questions….in order to avoid impatience etc. on the big day are there things I should do to the Console beforehand? Will software need to be updated? Accounts need to be set up etc?

Basically I want to try and avoid a situation whereby they are all excited about having it, and then have to wait around for a couple of hours while I try and set it all up for them.

Thanks

Couple of questions….in order to avoid impatience etc. on the big day are there things I should do to the Console beforehand? Will software need to be updated? Accounts need to be set up etc?

Basically I want to try and avoid a situation whereby they are all excited about having it, and then have to wait around for a couple of hours while I try and set it all up for them.

Thanks

fifa is more than likely a code so that game will need to be downloaded
    and since its the fifa bundle it wouldnt have the new xbox experence
    so it'll need a pretty big update when you turn on the console first (about 4gb)

you will also need to setup a live account to be able to redeem the fifa code

i would recommend turning it on and downloading the update setup the live account and download fifa as depending on your broadband it could take a while to download

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Hi Cullenswood,

Get the xbox out and get it setup because there will be an update due and it can take a while depending on the size and your connection speed.
    Also, probably a good idea to install the games so that they are ready to go when the kids open up their present.
    As for Sonic, not all 360 games are BC, I dont know what the deal is on Sonic but iirc, it wasnt on the list of BC titles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Sonic is on the list of compatible titles, and it will show up in the XBox One store.... as "Bundle only". If you click on the "bundle only" it claims it can't find anything. In any case it won't download.

Apparently if you have one of the Sonic games from the xbox 360 it downloads the "BC" version and plays that one. But it doesn't look like you can buy it.

Advertisement