Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm New To Xbox Megathread : CHRISTMAS 2015 EDITION

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Sonic is on the list of compatible titles, and it will show up in the XBox One store.... as "Bundle only". If you click on the "bundle only" it claims it can't find anything. In any case it won't download.

Apparently if you have one of the Sonic games from the xbox 360 it downloads the "BC" version and plays that one. But it doesn't look like you can buy it.

Buy them via xbox.com?

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-IE/Search?query=sonic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Sonic is on the list of compatible titles, and it will show up in the XBox One store.... as "Bundle only". If you click on the "bundle only" it claims it can't find anything. In any case it won't download.

Apparently if you have one of the Sonic games from the xbox 360 it downloads the "BC" version and plays that one. But it doesn't look like you can buy it.

If I buy the physical game, will that work ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Supposably.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Looking for recommendations for an Xbox one game for a 6 year old!

Any simplistic shooting/ fighting games would be preferable.

Looking for recommendations for an Xbox one game for a 6 year old!

Any simplistic shooting/ fighting games would be preferable.

Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare I'd say would be ideal, very fun for kids AND adults :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_0gZFfqK3w

€40 to buy off xbox digital store, not sure if cheap in shops or maybe second hand.

But, if you buy an EA Access subscription, you get the full game as well as 12 or so other games including fifa 15, need for speed, battlefield games (not sure about 6 year olds but they're included if wanted)

It's €25 per year, and more games are added regularly: http://www.ea.com/eaaccess/en_IE.html

You then have Killer Instinct which is free on the xbox store, with added characters and levels you can buy if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Conchy

Probably a stupid question but if my friend has an xbox one with fifa 16 and I have an xbox 360 with fifa 16 will I be able to play against him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Conchy wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but if my friend has an xbox one with fifa 16 and I have an xbox 360 with fifa 16 will I be able to play against him

nope afraid not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Couple of questions if you please.....

Is Minecraft available on any of the subscription services?

I'm looking at getting an xBox and that's the game I think the 6 year old plays with her cousin (the cousin has an xBox).

So just to confirm...

1). With the xBox Gold or EA Games subscriptions I get to keep and play the games as long as I keep paying the yearly subscription?

2). Also I assume that only older games are available on subscription?

3). If #2 is correct, how long does it take before the new games are released? So for example, when would I expect see FIFA 16 as a free game?

4). What's the media player like ok the xBox - can it play mkv, avi, divx etc? How is it controlled? (I presume KODI/XBMC can't be loaded)

5). I'm confused a bit with reading how to set up family etc. So I'll create an account for myself and probably will need 2 sub accounts for the kids. If I subscribe to Gold/EA Access, can that filter down to them? Or can I download the games and they can play them?

Appreciate any input!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

SachaJ wrote: »
    Couple of questions if you please.....

Appreciate any input!

You're confusing what's being offered with Xbox Live Gold and EA Access. Xbox Live Gold is primarily about being able to play online. Without it you cannot play any Xbox games online. In recent years they've also started giving away some free games every month (Games with Gold) and discounts on games (Deals with Gold). These change every month but if you get a game during the offer period, it's yours to keep. Edit: MiskyBoyy points out below that GwG games are only playable if you have an active Gold subscription. My mistake. This seems to have changed from the 360 setup.

EA Access is a subscription service which (amongst some other things) gives you access to their "Vault". Any game in the Vault can be download and played by subscribers but if you cancel your subscription, you lose access to these games.

Regarding the turn-around time, it all depends on the internal decisions of the company but I'd expect Fifa 16 to show up next summer. Probably around the same time as the new one is getting ready to launch. That's just a guess though. We've no way of predicting these things really except for looking at what they've done before.

Regarding the family account stuff, ya if you get Gold for 1 account, it will work with the other ones. I think you/your account will have to do the downloading but they should be able to play them without issue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

SachaJ wrote: »
    4). What's the media player like ok the xBox - can it play mkv, avi, divx etc? How is it controlled? (I presume KODI/XBMC can't be loaded)

Media player is pretty good, if basic. No library function on it though, which is disappointing coming from KODI.

Plex is supported though, only with a PlexPass at the moment, but it's there and looks good. Haven't tried it myself, but maybe someone here has.

• Advertisement

You're confusing what's being offered with Xbox Live Gold and EA Access. Xbox Live Gold is primarily about being able to play online. Without it you cannot play any Xbox games online. In recent years they've also started giving away some free games every month (Games with Gold) and discounts on games (Deals with Gold). These change every month but if you get a game during the offer period, it's yours to keep.

Regarding the turn-around time, it all depends on the internal decisions of the company but I'd expect Fifa 16 to show up next summer.

I think games with gold on xbox one requires you to have an active gold subscription to be able to play any game you acquired through the games with gold program.

It used to be yours to keep forever on 360 but afaik it's only as long as you have an active gold subscription on xb1.

FIFA 15 was added to the ea access vault the start of May, so probably be about the same time again next year for 16. Average turnaround seems to be about 8 months from a game being released to going into the vault.

CatInABox wrote: »

Plex is supported though, only with a PlexPass at the moment, but it's there and looks good. Haven't tried it myself, but maybe someone here has.

I use PLEX with a Now TV Box, it's fantastic. They're constantly making new devices free to use without a pass, so hopefully it won't be long until the XB1 is one of them. You have to have a PC turned on with your media stored on it tho which some people might not like.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I use PLEX with a Now TV Box, it's fantastic. They're constantly making new devices free to use without a pass, so hopefully it won't be long until the XB1 is one of them. You have to have a PC turned on with your media stored on it tho which some people might not like.

I've got a ReadyNas with 6TB always on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

CatInABox wrote:

I use plex all the time on the xbox find it excellent.

Plex doesn't need to transcode mkv either on the Xbox

But it does need to transcode Dts audio

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sicky

Hi Guys,
    Is it possible for Santa to bring an external drive with new games downloaded onto it - without them showing up on the XB1 before Christmas morning??

Sicky wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Is it possible for Santa to bring an external drive with new games downloaded onto it - without them showing up on the XB1 before Christmas morning??

Yeah I'm pretty sure you can download digital games & move them to external HDD without them showing up, as long as you don't launch the game, it shouldn't show up anywhere when the HDD isn't plugged in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,317 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hi Guys,

Nope.

To download the games you'd have to hook the HD up to the One and download the game to it. The game would then show up in the ready to download queue.

Maybe if you have a main account set up(ie your account) download the game from the HD there and try remove the the game from the Ready to Download section. Maybe the game wouldn't show up on the child's account ?

Yeah I'm pretty sure you can download digital games & move them to external HDD without them showing up, as long as you don't launch the game, it shouldn't show up anywhere when the HDD isn't plugged in.

But when you unplug the HDD would the game not show up again in the Ready to Download section ?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    But when you unplug the HDD would the game not show up again in the Ready to Download section ?

Yeah, you're right, I never thought of that. Is the hide button still broken on NXOE too?

It's messy but what you could do is create a new account just for buying/downloading the games, then remove that account from the xbox until you're ready to play the games again. Whilst having the game files stored on HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sicky

Yeah, you're right, I never thought of that. Is the hide button still broken on NXOE too?

It's messy but what you could do is create a new account just for buying/downloading the games, then remove that account from the xbox until you're ready to play the games again. Whilst having the game files stored on HDD.

This sounds like a plan, plus it would stop my small fella buying 70 euro games like he did (for the second time) last week! :mad:

• Advertisement

Yea that could work. A lot of faffing about though.

OP what games are you looking for ? We might know where to pick up disks a bit cheaper.

This sounds like a plan, plus it would stop my small fella buying 70 euro games like he did (for the second time) last week! :mad:

Take the xbox off him for a week if he does that. A week's a long time for a gaming junkie like us , even longer for a kid I'd imagine :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

Hi all,

I bought the One about a month ago now having been on the 360 the last 8 years or so and I have to say it's really a great console and worthwhile upgrade, the new dashboard is much better for new users IMO and the Xbox feels much faster too.

One tip I have for new users who will be using the Headset, plug it into the controller then bring up the new guide, then go to the settings icon and in there you can adjust the volume of the Headset. I was having trouble hearing people in party's before I noticed this :P

If anyone here is going to be playing either GTA V, FIFA 16 or Forza 6 then add me, my GT is: DanC090
    unfortunately some of the lads from the 360 are going to PS4 instead of the One so I'm looking for new gaming buddy's :P :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I should be receiving my xbone today. That is all.

:D

DanC90 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I bought the One about a month ago now having been on the 360 the last 8 years or so and I have to say it's really a great console and worthwhile upgrade, the new dashboard is much better for new users IMO and the Xbox feels much faster too.

One tip I have for new users who will be using the Headset, plug it into the controller then bring up the new guide, then go to the settings icon and in there you can adjust the volume of the Headset. I was having trouble hearing people in party's before I noticed this :P

If anyone here is going to be playing either GTA V, FIFA 16 or Forza 6 then add me, my GT is: DanC090
    unfortunately some of the lads from the 360 are going to PS4 instead of the One so I'm looking for new gaming buddy's :P :D

There's a Gamertag thread in the Xbox Forum so pop it GT up there and add the others.

Welcome DanC90 & theteal :D :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My wife (I think) just ordered me an Xbox One for Christmas/my birthday. Haven't had an Xbox for a couple of years and back then I didn't get involved to much on line. Do you need live sub these days just for
    General
    Gaming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Xbox 360 question:

Lego dimensions....I don't get it...do I have to buy the starter pack AND a team set or can I just buy a team set?

Help me through this rabbit hole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

zeffabelli wrote: »
    Xbox 360 question:

Lego dimensions....I don't get it...do I have to buy the starter pack AND a team set or can I just buy a team set?

Help me through this rabbit hole!

You need at least the starter pack, which is sufficient to complete the game. Additional fun packs, team packs, etc add content, but are not required.

• Advertisement

I ordered an xbone from amazon france will there be any problems with power here...

Advertisement