Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm New To Xbox Megathread : CHRISTMAS 2015 EDITION

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

I'm pretty sure if you just buy one of those plug converters you'll be grand. Open to correction on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

pop a new 3 pin plug top on if needed, problem solved :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

So 48 hours in. Still haven't had much time to get used to it, but I'm seriously underwhelmed by the new UI. Updated the second I got it out of the box, so never got to experience the launch UI.

Updates are painfully slow and really irritating in the way they're handled. Insert BLOPS3 and select the option to update. Leave the house and come back two hours ish later. Game is 98% installed. Left it alone for another 40 minutes. 98% installed. I begin to wonder has this stalled. Look to see if I see precisely what it's doing. Is it still actually pulling down data? Nope, can't see that.

Deletes and I start the install/update again.

Start making dinner. Comes back in. 68%. GAME IS READY TO LAUNCH. I try to start it. Error code. Game is installing. There's now two different notifications on two separate screens telling different things. Ready to launch is still there, while I've another "window" telling me it's installing.

Why can't I play without the update. The 360 and PS4 allow you to play while updating, just without the online elements.

The console's UI is slow overall. Layout isn't great either.

Also, not sure why it's not turning on the telly. I've the option selected and still nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,317 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So 48 hours in. Still haven't had much time to get used to it, but I'm seriously underwhelmed by the new UI. Updated the second I got it out of the box, so never got to experience the launch UI.

Updates are painfully slow and really irritating in the way they're handled. Insert BLOPS3 and select the option to update. Leave the house and come back two hours ish later. Game is 98% installed. Left it alone for another 40 minutes. 98% installed. I begin to wonder has this stalled. Look to see if I see precisely what it's doing. Is it still actually pulling down data? Nope, can't see that.

Deletes and I start the install/update again.

Start making dinner. Comes back in. 68%. GAME IS READY TO LAUNCH. I try to start it. Error code. Game is installing. There's now two different notifications on two separate screens telling different things. Ready to launch is still there, while I've another "window" telling me it's installing.

Why can't I play without the update. The 360 and PS4 allow you to play while updating, just without the online elements.

The console is UI is slow overall. Layout isn't great either.

Also, not sure why it's not turning on the telly. I've the option selected and still nothing.

Your TV might have a setting to allow commands through HDMI.

You can play the game once it says ready to install but only up to a certain point.

I'd say its slow installing because its downloading patches for the game at the same time. Disconnect from Live and it'll do them separately. I find Live is a lot more stable than PSN and games download much faster for me.

UI takes a little getting but use LT to fast scroll to your Pins and RB and LB to scroll left and right in your tabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Your TV might have a setting to allow commands through HDMI.

You can play the game once it says ready to install but only up to a certain point.

I'd say its slow installing because its downloading patches for the game at the same time. Disconnect from Live and it'll do them separately. I find Live is a lot more stable than PSN and games download much faster for me.

UI takes a little getting but use LT to fast scroll to your Pins and RB and LB to scroll left and right in your tabs.

TV works with everything else.

PS network has always seemed like shambles to me. Very slow, bizarre maintenance schedules etc.

It's lack of transparency thats really irritating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

There's definitely a big change since the Windows 10 update. It's slower to boot, slower to react, things crash more often and there's less information available.

So totally in keeping with Microsoft's os philosophy since Vista...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,317 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

There's definitely a big change since the Windows 10 update. It's slower to boot, slower to react, things crash more often and there's less information available.

So totally in keeping with Microsoft's os philosophy since Vista...

I don't see any of that to be honest.

Xbox boots up extremely fast.
    Opening/inviting people to parties is snappy.
    I get no OS crashes what so ever.
    Snapping apps is quicker.

I don't use the TV side so can't comment on that part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

or if you dont fancy chopping the plug just use a differant lead they use the 3 prong "kettle lead"

black-kettle-lead-with-3-pin-plug.-7726-p.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

in terms of your games updating, if you have the power mode set to always on it will download an update when it released instead of right when you want to play a game, it will also boot quicker and if you stop a game it will resume the game right where you stopped instead of loading it again

only downside it uses more power becuase its always on in a sence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If the xbone is replacing a 360, just use the kettle lead from that

• Advertisement

Got mine set up over the weekend. Quietly impressed even if not fully adapted to the menu system. The TV set up works well, being able to power on the TV, xbox and surround sound with a single voice command is pretty sweet. EA Access is awesome, best £20 I've spent in a long time. Between that and the Doom alpha, I've still yet to buy an actual game and probably won't for a while!

Quick question, If i buy a didital game for my daughter through my account on my xbox can she play it on her own xbox then? Or do I need to set her xbox as my home xbox for that to work more easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

cadete wrote:
    Quick question, If i buy a didital game for my daughter through my account on my xbox can she play it on her own xbox then? Or do I need to set her xbox as my home xbox for that to work more easily

Yeah you'll have to set her xbox to your home xbox for it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Hello123

New to the xbox one ... Do I need to buy anything extra in order to play this game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Do you have a Kinect with your Xbox One / Xbox 360? If you do, then you don't need anything extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Hello123

nO dont think so ... I have the 500 MB XBOX ONE with FIFA 2016 bundle. Box un opened but I doubt Kinect is also included.

Those games are deigned to work with a kinect for tracking your movements/dancing as opposed to playing them with a controller.

Those games are deigned to work with a kinect for tracking your movements/dancing as opposed to playing them with a controller.
    A Kinect for Xbox One can be picked up for under €50 from CEX or Gamestop.ie

A Kinect for Xbox One can be picked up for under €50 from CEX or Gamestop.ie

2nd hand, FYI OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

There is a Just Dance App so you can play games with your phone through the Xbox One.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

Best place for Xbox one games during sales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Argos, or keep an eye out for amazon lightning deals. Got arkham knight for £20 that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi all
    My niece is looking for a personalised 360 wireless controller for chistmas. Does anyone know if there is such a thing and where we could get one?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Hi all
    My niece is looking for a personalised 360 wireless controller for chistmas. Does anyone know if there is such a thing and where we could get one?
    Thanks!
    Scuf is the first one to mind but you'll never have it for Xmas at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

Hi all
    Thanks!

http://www.sharqcontrollers.com/

these are good too but your too late for Christmas delievery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Prob too late for xmas anywhere but depending on what you're personalising it with you could always print out the matching picture/whatever it is and make her card out of that and write in the card about the controller being ordered and on the way and give a small token gift on the day. I'd appreciate that anyway!

Not too late yet, just checked scuf still doing "Christmas Guarantee Build Service", i ordered one for a friend last saturday was delivered on Wednesday! you pay an extra £20 for the rush job though, personally i would buy one off adverts or done deal, you will get it much much cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Two questions for anyone who has done this ..

1. Can one person play on the console against another player on a windows 10 PC (on the same home network)

2. Can multiple windows 10 PCs play against each other with one xbox one console (on the same home network)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭dor83

Basically your xbox just sends the same thing that is, or would be, on your TV screen to your PC, it doesn't act as another console just streams to it. The best you might be able to get is split screen with someone in a different room but I haven't actually tried that to so not sure if that would even work, and even if it did whoever was playing on the PC would be at a disadvantage because there is a tiny bit of lag, on my network at least.

• Advertisement

dor83 wrote: »
    Basically your xbox just sends the same thing that is, or would be, on your TV screen to your PC, it doesn't act as another console just streams to it. The best you might be able to get is split screen with someone in a different room but I haven't actually tried that to so not sure if that would even work, and even if it did whoever was playing on the PC would be at a disadvantage because there is a tiny bit of lag, on my network at least.
    This is correct.

The display and audio from the Xbox One (basically everything that it is outputting to your TV) is being streamed to your Windows 10 PC. The input from your controller is being streamed back to the console. In fact, if you leave the TV on, you will see exactly the same thing on both the TV and the console.

It is not that you are playing against each other, or the Windows 10 PC acts like another Xbox One.

So, if you are playing Split Screen against someone you are both seeing the Split Screen exactly the same way. They will also have the advantage of being local to the console. So there's no benefit.

Some games (like Fable Legends) will be properly Cross-Play. So you can be playing on Windows 10 (natively) and the friend could be on Xbox One.

Advertisement