Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm New To Xbox Megathread : CHRISTMAS 2015 EDITION

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

Fallout 4 €55 on amazon, includes franchise book and soundtrack (idk if that's good value cause I never buy those sort of things but anyway)

Wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭ab4248

My son wants an Xbox One for Christmas. That I have managed but tonight he woke up all worried because he didnt tell Santa he wanted lots of memory on it. I told him it would be fine. Not knowing tbh! Hes 9 and has been happy out using a PS2 til now. Only gripe he had was that he couldnt save game progress. I have bought a 500GB console with Forza 6, Minecraft, FIFA 16 and Farming Simulator. Question is: Is this enough memory? Hes not a serious gamer by a long shot. Also can I expand the memory? If so how? Sorry for the trivial questions but so dont have a clue. Thanks in advance:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

ab4248 wrote: »
    My son wants an Xbox One for Christmas. That I have managed but tonight he woke up all worried because he didnt tell Santa he wanted lots of memory on it. I told him it would be fine. Not knowing tbh! Hes 9 and has been happy out using a PS2 til now. Only gripe he had was that he couldnt save game progress. I have bought a 500GB console with Forza 6, Minecraft, FIFA 16 and Farming Simulator. Question is: Is this enough memory? Hes not a serious gamer by a long shot. Also can I expand the memory? If so how? Sorry for the trivial questions but so dont have a clue. Thanks in advance:confused:

That should be plenty of memory for him. I've 7 games installed on mine and still have a good bit of space left over. The space can be expanded with an external hard drive but you probably won't need it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

500GB console should be fine, but if get a chance, you should take the advice from the Xbox FAQ thread:

I’ve bought an Xbox One for my child as a Christmas present, do I need to do anything pre-Christmas?

In order to have the smoothest Christmas morning, yes, you do. Connect the Xbox to your TV, and to your internet, and then turn it on. It will download and install the latest update, which can take some time depending on your internet connection. Once that’s complete, you should then install any games that you bought with it. In some Xbox One bundles, the game comes as a code that allows you to download the game.

All the games you bought will need to be installed, and probably have updates downloaded. If your broadband is terrible, I'd suggest bringing it to a friends house for the initial set-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

The game saves are all stored online via the cloud now so they don't even take up space really. I think there's about 420GB or so on the xbox when you get it new (O.S system files etc take up the rest)

Forza 6 = 46GB

Minecraft = 770mb

Fifa 16 = 17GB

Farming Simulator = 2.81GB

They all add up to nearly 67GB so you still have 353GB remaining.

You should check out the I'm new to Xbox megathread

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

MOD NOTE:

Combined a few question threads into this one. Redirects will disappear from the forum in a couple of days.

CIAB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Would echo the comments about allowing plenty of time to set up. Admittedly I am a bit clueless on it (think a mega drive was the last console I set up!), but with hardwired efibre it was probably a couple of hours to install including updates, setting up accounts etc.. And that was just one game!

Pleased I was doing it for a Birthday rather than under pressure on the 24th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,316 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Would echo the comments about allowing plenty of time to set up. Admittedly I am a bit clueless on it (think a mega drive was the last console I set up!), but with hardwired efibre it was probably a couple of hours to install including updates, setting up accounts etc.. And that was just one game!

Pleased I was doing it for a Birthday rather than under pressure on the 24th!

If the games are on disc disconnect the Xbox from the internet and install the games. Then when you have them all installed click into the game and update that way.

It's much faster to install first then update the games rather than install and download updates at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I bought an Xbox a few days ago and should have it by the weekend. I'm living in Belgium and there are some decent offers around the place.

Anyway, i have the 1tb version with Fallout 3 (digital), Fallout 4 ( disk) and GTA V (disk). I purchased the 12 months Live Gold membership from cdkeys and got FIFA 16 as well. Probably should have gone with EA Access instead.

Presume any further digital purchases should wait on the online sale? Was thinking of Ori and a few platform-y type games. Even though my beloved Wii U has me sorted there.

Is there anything worth preregistering for, in terms of Games with Gold? Can I preregister on Smart Glass?

Without getting into a VPN discussion, I understand that Belgian media apps side isn't all that. What is available in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭ab4248

Thanks for your responses. Ye answered questions I didnt even know I had to ask! Sorry for post in wrong place. Total Technophobe so will enlist help of a neighbours teenager! I Just dont know how I became my mother all of a sudden! The TV remote was enough too drive her over the edge :) Happy Christmas to all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Lockster

We've got our son a Xbox One for Christmas bundled with FIFA 16. He already has a Xbox 360. Going by all the advise to save time on Christmas morning I was thinking of doing the set up of the One in advance as I understand that download the console update and FIFA 16 could take up to 2 hours. However if I do this will he know from Gamer profile on the 360 that this has been done? Can I at least start up the Xbox One and download the console update without having to log on to Xbox live?

Thanks in advance for any help and does anyone have any other tips to make Xmas morning as smooth as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Lockster wrote: »
    We've got our son a Xbox One for Christmas bundled with FIFA 16.
    I'm pretty sure the FIFA in the FIFA 16 bundle is a download code so you're going to have to download it before playing it.
    He already has a Xbox 360. Going by all the advise to save time on Christmas morning I was thinking of doing the set up of the One in advance as I understand that download the console update and FIFA 16 could take up to 2 hours. However if I do this will he know from Gamer profile on the 360 that this has been done? Can I at least start up the Xbox One and download the console update without having to log on to Xbox live?
    I think mine updated before looking for login details but I can't be certain. I'd suggest trying it. If it looks for login details before updating you can always turn it off. Or else create a new account for yourself and do all the updates/installs. Then include the account details on a slip of paper in the box from santa. You can add his account later and he'll have access to all the games & services.
    Thanks in advance for any help and does anyone have any other tips to make Xmas morning as smooth as possible.

It sounds like you'll have to connect the Xbox to the internet to get your game so there's no way around that. Will the Xbox be close to your internet router? Try and connect it using a wired connection if at all possible. It will be much faster than using wifi. If you need to run a wire across the room to reach the router then you can switch to wireless after the initial update and game install is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

. However if I do this will he know from Gamer profile on the 360 that this has been done?

Presumably Santa will be doing this when your son is asleep on christmas eve so he won't see it happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Lockster

Thanks for the replies and help. I was going to do the set up before Christmas Eve and then re-pack up the Xbox One, but perhaps it might be best doing it all on Christmas Eve when he has gone to bed then he won't have a clue. The 360 is connected to our router via powerline plugs so will use the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

I'm pretty sure the FIFA in the FIFA 16 bundle is a download code so you're going to have to download it before playing it. I think mine updated before looking for login details but I can't be certain.
    I did this a couple of weeks ago. As soon as the XBox was turned on and connected it told me there was an update. I downloaded it without any login details.

FIFA is a download code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I'm a little confused about how downloaded games work on XB1.
    I've created a child account for the son, and signed him up for Gold. However, he cannot make any purchases, because it's a child account. Not even free stuff (GWG) cannot be added to his account.
    If I log in to the XB1 with my own account (the parent), and make a purchase, will he be able to play it, or will it be exclusive to me?

We only have the one XB1, and I don't intend to play it, but I could log in for downloads to install, if that's what's required.

Thanks.

JoyPad wrote: »
    I'm a little confused about how downloaded games work on XB1.
    I've created a child account for the son, and signed him up for Gold. However, he cannot make any purchases, because it's a child account. Not even free stuff (GWG) cannot be added to his account.
    If I log in to the XB1 with my own account (the parent), and make a purchase, will he be able to play it, or will it be exclusive to me?

We only have the one XB1, and I don't intend to play it, but I could log in for downloads to install, if that's what's required.

Thanks.

No, if the game is DL to the console then all Gamefertags on that console will have access to those games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

emmetkenny wrote: »
    No, if the game is DL to the console then all Gamefertags on that console will have access to those games.

I've read somewhere here that:
    1. If one account on that XB1 has Gold, then all Gamertags will benefit.
    2. If your Gold runs out, then the downloaded GWG will cease to work.

So far, I only used the one month trial Gold, on both my account and the child account. But I could only buy GWG with my account, like I said. Keeping in mind (1) and (2) above, sounds as if I should keep my account subbed to Gold, and not his. Am I right?

Thanks.

JoyPad wrote: »
    I've read somewhere here that:
    1. If one account on that XB1 has Gold, then all Gamertags will benefit.
    2. If your Gold runs out, then the downloaded GWG will cease to work.

So far, I only used the one month trial Gold, on both my account and the child account. But I could only buy GWG with my account, like I said. Keeping in mind (1) and (2) above, sounds as if I should keep my account subbed to Gold, and not his. Am I right?

Thanks.

Yes, 1 gold sub covers all accounts (think you have to enable that in the settings somewhere) Keep gold on what ever account you use to download the games with gold, even just for the sake of keeping things simple buy stuff with that account only and it will be accessible to all accounts on the same xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Just a reminder for all those people that are setting up xboxes before xmas

I would recommend starting to update them now and download whatever digital games you got.

Alot of the xboxes have EA access trials as well at the moment - so a handy thing to do it register the overall account now - and kick off downloads now a few days in advance of the games that are free to play.

If this is being done in stealth mode it will take a few nights to get something usable for xmas - (am setting up one for a friend at the moment - and its taking ages - even with a half decent bb connection)

It may not be clear to people but if you are unpacking one of these for the first time - and its a busy time on the microsoft servers (like christmas day) - it may not be usable that day. Even now its taking a long time to setup from scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

Can someone plz explain the xbox rewards to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Afte much begging we finally agreed Santa would bring an Xbox one to buy 8yr old son.

I bought the 500gb Fifa 16 download.

It took me 2 days but I got the initial download done and the accounts set up. (Even though I think I've given the child the adult settings and vice Versace) that's an issue for another day.

I just cannot get Fifa (fcuking) 16 to bloody download.
    I realized my bb was shiite so I upgraded that. Doing tests I've gone from .88 down load up to a 2.5 speed.

But Fifa 16 is still nightmarishly slow..... I'm thinking of staying up tonight and serif I can get it sorted..
    Any advice please?

Also I've bought farming simulator and minecraft on disc. Right now if I put them into the Xbox are they playable??

I know this sounds stupid but gaming is quite simply not my thing!!

I just don't want drama Christmas morning !!!!

Lisha wrote: »
    Afte much begging we finally agreed Santa would bring an Xbox one to buy 8yr old son.

I bought the 500gb Fifa 16 download.

It took me 2 days but I got the initial download done and the accounts set up. (Even though I think I've given the child the adult settings and vice Versace) that's an issue for another day.

I just cannot get Fifa (fcuking) 16 to bloody download.
    I realized my bb was shiite so I upgraded that. Doing tests I've gone from .88 down load up to a 2.5 speed.

But Fifa 16 is still nightmarishly slow..... I'm thinking of staying up tonight and serif I can get it sorted..
    Any advice please?

Also I've bought farming simulator and minecraft on disc. Right now if I put them into the Xbox are they playable??

I know this sounds stupid but gaming is quite simply not my thing!!

I just don't want drama Christmas morning !!!!

If you can at all, borrow fifa 16 off someone on disc, install it onto the xbox from the disc will only take about 30 mins, then you can give it straight back to whoever it was you borrowed it off. Maybe someone on here if they live near you might oblige.

There might be updates for Minecraft & Farming Simulator but they should be tiny in comparison with downloading FIFA 16. Put them into the xbox & launch them to initialize any updates for them.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    If you can at all, borrow fifa 16 off someone on disc, install it onto the xbox from the disc will only take about 30 mins, then you can give it straight back to whoever it was you borrowed it off. Maybe someone on here if they live near you might oblige.

There might be updates for Minecraft & Farming Simulator but they should be tiny in comparison with downloading FIFA 16. Put them into the xbox & launch them to initialize any updates for them.

I'm seriously tempted to just buy Fifa 16 on bloody disc.... Thanks for that suggestion :) I'll see what I can do

One things that is puzzling me....
    Pre eircom upgrade I was getting broadband speeds of 0.6 to 0.8 mps.
    When I went into network settings on Xbox I was getting speeds of less that 0.6.

Now I'm getting test speeds of 2.5 but when I check in Xbox network settings it's still saying its 0.8..... I've rebooted router and Xbox several times...

In 2hrs I've gone from 2 - 10% Fifa 16 uploaded....

One things that is puzzling me....
    Pre eircom upgrade I was getting broadband speeds of 0.6 to 0.8 mps.
    When I went into network settings on Xbox I was getting speeds of less that 0.6.

Now I'm getting test speeds of 2.5 but when I check in Xbox network settings it's still saying its 0.8..... I've rebooted router and Xbox several times...

In 2hrs I've gone from 2 - 10% Fifa 16 uploaded....

Are you in the middle of nowhere ?it might be best to set your console to offline.

If all comes to all rent a copy of Fifa from Xtravision and use that disc to install.

Also as mentioned previously make sure the console is set to offline mode when installing from disc as otherwise the Xbox will try to install and download any patches to the game at the same time.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Are you in the middle of nowhere ?it might be best to set your console to offline.

If all comes to all rent a copy of Fifa from Xtravision and use that disc to install.

Also as mentioned previously make sure the console is set to offline mode when installing from disc as otherwise the Xbox will try to install and download any patches to the game at the same time.

Ok thanks.

From your statement so when ism installing games from disc I need to set it to offline. Which I assume is in settings.

I don't want him online yet. So when he is playing games I can have console set to offline.

That's a handy one to know. If I do it that way from the start then he might not know any different for a while. (I know prob not for long but you've gotta try)

We are now at 18%. When it hits 20% I'm going to bed I'm wreaked. I'd love to be able to have it done by Christmas Day . I just did a speed test there and it's back to 0.8 again. So I'm hoping that there is a reason for this and it Wil be better Monday night...

We are now at 18%. When it hits 20% I'm going to bed I'm wreaked. I'd love to be able to have it done by Christmas Day . I just did a speed test there and it's back to 0.8 again. So I'm hoping that there is a reason for this and it Wil be better Monday night...

You can safely leave it on whilst downloading and go to bed you know :cool:

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    You can safely leave it on whilst downloading and go to bed you know :cool:

But then they will see it in the morning :)

Which would make Santa sad :(

PRe plugging xbox I was getting test speeds of 2.5, when Xbox was in speeds were 0.8. After Xbox speeds were back to 2.5.... So im assuming this just means that Xbox was using everything ?
    Or am I wrong??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

But then they will see it in the morning :)

Which would make Santa sad :(

PRe plugging xbox I was getting test speeds of 2.5, when Xbox was in speeds were 0.8. After Xbox speeds were back to 2.5.... So im assuming this just means that Xbox was using everything ?
    Or am I wrong??

If possible bring the Xbox to a friends house who might have better download speeds and it can then be left plugged in over night to get everything downloaded.

Also look into the parental settings on the Xbox. As any user can toggle the offline/online setting.
    If the parental controls you can specify what they can and can't do online.

Advertisement