Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm New To Xbox Megathread : CHRISTMAS 2015 EDITION

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

If possible bring the Xbox to a friends house who might have better download speeds and it can then be left plugged in over night to get everything downloaded.

Yes that's an option I'm leaving open alright. Trouble is where I leave most bb is poor and also most people I could ask have Santa kids too.so that's a bit tricky.
    We must go out now and husband is going to take kids yo shop. I'll plug it in here and hopefully I will be able to hide it.

So between one thing and another hopefully it will get sorted .

It's very stressy though. I can only imagine the drama this will cause in some houses Christmas Day .

Thanks to all for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Lisha wrote: »
    Yes that's an option I'm leaving open alright. Trouble is where I leave most bb is poor and also most people I could ask have Santa kids too.so that's a bit tricky.
    We must go out now and husband is going to take kids yo shop. I'll plug it in here and hopefully I will be able to hide it.

So between one thing and another hopefully it will get sorted .

It's very stressy though. I can only imagine the drama this will cause in some houses Christmas Day .

Thanks to all for your help

Probably an obvious question but do you have it wired? It's much faster.

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Probably an obvious question but do you have it wired? It's much faster.

Yup it's wired using the yellow Ethernet cable. Which makes it harder to leave on without kids seeing it. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yup it's wired using the yellow Ethernet cable. Which makes it harder to leave on without kids seeing it. Thanks :)

Leave it downloading over night. I may take two nights as I am like you and have really slow download speeds and takes forever to download games. And about the kids lock the door in the room with xbox when you go to bed so kids won't see it in the morning.

Leave it downloading over night. I may take two nights as I am like you and have really slow download speeds and takes forever to download games. And about the kids lock the door in the room with xbox when you go to bed so kids won't see it in the morning.

It's downloading now since 2 today.
    I rearranged things so that its hidden in a press in the kitchen.
    It can only be in one place as we only have phone point to connect yellow internet cable to xbox.
    But so the kids don't cop it I've taken away the tv. I'm assuming it will work away without the tv??
    I'll connect tv later to see. It can stay in this press until it down loads..

One question: I looked at it there and the blue light behind Xbox on/off button is off.
    Is this ok? Or has the download stopped??

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It can only be in one place as we only have phone point to connect yellow internet cable to xbox.
    But so the kids don't cop it I've taken away the tv. I'm assuming it will work away without the tv??

One question: I looked at it there and the blue light behind Xbox on/off button is off.

Thanks again

Could you get a set of power line adaptors ? You plug the yellow cable from the router into a power line adaptor and then plug that into a wall socket.

Then hook the Xbox up in your room/another room. Plug the second power line adaptor into the wall socket beside the Xbox and plug the cable from the Xbox into the second power line adaptor. Lock the door and the kids won't see it.

Here's a link to power line adaptors

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4273888.htm?cmpid=COJUN&storeId=10152&_%24ja=tsid%3A30390%7Cprd%3A7708057&referredURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.ie%2Fstatic%2FProduct%2FpartNumber%2F4273888.htm&referrer=COJUN

As long as you have the Xbox set to instant on it will continue to install the games in sleep mode. Just be careful that it has plenty of ventilation if your leaving it in the press because it can overheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Thanks again

It'll resume the download as soon as your xbox is switched on.

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    It'll resume the download as soon as your xbox is switched on.

So I should press that on now so?
    It was on when I left home earlier.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Judging by the download speeds that your getting, wireless won't be a bottleneck for you, so you should see the same download speed whether you are wired or wireless.

That means that you could connect it to the WiFi, then plug it in somewhere safe that has a WiFi signal (i.e. if your phone has WiFi there, then so should the Xbox). It should work without a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

So I should press that on now so?
    It was on when I left home earlier.
    Thanks
    Go to settings, power options and switch to "instant on" mode. This will keep the Xbox downloading the game while the Xbox itself appears to be off. It goes into a low power mode and continues the game download.

If it remains in Power saver mode it will power off every (x amount of time), not sure how long. Instant On mode will avoid this and the xbox will look like its turned off so no bright light being spotted by young eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've just a few more sleeps until the XB1 gets a spot by the TV, and now I realise there's going to have to be some hard decisions in terms of HDMI privileges.
    At the moment I've a WDTV Live doing streaming duties, a Sky HD + box, PS3, PS4, 360 and WiiU occupying ports.
    I think the poor 360 may be taking the stairs to the great gamesroom in the attic, and the XB1 get it's spot.
    Still, it pains me to see it move, but I haven't played the 360 in a while and, hopefully, much of my library of titles will work on the XB1 soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I've just a few more sleeps until the XB1 gets a spot by the TV, and now I realise there's going to have to be some hard decisions in terms of HDMI privileges.
    At the moment I've a WDTV Live doing streaming duties, a Sky HD + box, PS3, PS4, 360 and WiiU occupying ports.
    I think the poor 360 may be taking the stairs to the great gamesroom in the attic, and the XB1 get it's spot.
    Still, it pains me to see it move, but I haven't played the 360 in a while and, hopefully, much of my library of titles will work on the XB1 soon.

Or you could plug the Sky box into the One ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is that a thing?
    Will it work?
    Is there magic, incantations or ritual sacrifice needed?
    Will try and report back, on the 25th of Dec... stand by....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is that a thing?
    Will it work?
    Is there magic, incantations or ritual sacrifice needed?
    Will try and report back, on the 25th of Dec... stand by....

Not really, the XB1 had a HDMI in port :P Just launch TV app then to view whatever you have plugged into your xb1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Not really, the XB1 had a HDMI in port :P Just launch TV app then to view whatever you have plugged into your xb1 :)

Yeah that's one of the best features of the xbone"xbox watch tv" boom. I just got eVision and it doesn't work well worth that though:( I had to disconnect the evision as it wasn't keeping the resolution

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Yeah that's one of the best features of the xbone"xbox watch tv" boom. I just got eVision and it doesn't work well worth that though:( I had to disconnect the evision as it wasn't keeping the resolution
    Definitely a great feature, you an even set the Xbox to launch directly into watching TV, so there's no interruption for anyone else in the home.

With the Kinect, it is almost like magic because you turn the Xbox on and it'll switch on your Sky box, TV and sound system for you - you even need to find the remote or a controller.

I've had the Saorview box running through it since launch without any display or sound issues (the only problem I have is that I live in a Freeview overspill area and it doesn't recognise those channels for the OneGuide - I can list Saorview or Freeview, but not both)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

The little one wants to play minecraft with her friends over the net.Will she need one of those headset/earphone things.
    Anyone know if the 360 will connect to the One?

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    The little one wants to play minecraft with her friends over the net.Will she need one of those headset/earphone things.
    Anyone know if the 360 will connect to the One?

The one comes with a headset included in the box.

The one and 360 cannot play together.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

emmetkenny wrote: »
    The one comes with a headset included in the box.

The one and 360 cannot play together.

Not every One Bundle comes with a headset.

I got the 500gb FIFA 16 bundle, and there was no headset in the box.

Faker74 wrote: »
    Not every One Bundle comes with a headset.

I got the 500gb FIFA 16 bundle, and there was no headset in the box.

Really ? That's a bit of an oversight. Did yours come with the newer controller with the 3.5mm jack ? A normal earpiece from a Samsung etc should work then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Is there any way to set the Xbox to "Kid Mode" or such like, whereby when its turned on the games that we have show up, but not much else.

It would be handy not to have all the other options to "distract" the young ones

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Is there any way to set the Xbox to "Kid Mode" or such like, whereby when its turned on the games that we have show up, but not much else.

It would be handy not to have all the other options to "distract" the young ones
    There are parental controls in the Xbox One settings.

In there you'll find varies options for what can be turned on and off. I am not sure what those options are due to never having to use them. I know one is to do with the rating of a game. You can specify the rating best suited for kids and they won't be able to access games above that rating level.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Really ? That's a bit of an oversight. Did yours come with the newer controller with the 3.5mm jack ? A normal earpiece from a Samsung etc should work then.

It did have the 3.5mm jack yes.

I have only used that jack for game audio. Are you saying a standard set of smartphone earphones (with inline mic) will carry voice on that port too?

Faker74 wrote: »
    It did have the 3.5mm jack yes.

I have only used that jack for game audio. Are you saying a standard set of smartphone earphones (with inline mic) will carry voice on that port too?

Yes I think so. Nearly sure I read that it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Faker74 wrote:

It does
    but doesn't work with every earphones
    There's some that don't work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Have been setting up the Xbox for arrival on the big day for the last few evenings, getting games installed and updates downloaded. I had bought Sonic the Hedgehog Xbox 360 game for it, as it was on the list of backwards compatible games. However every time I put the disc in it is giving me error code 0x8082000c and saying the game "is not playable here" and to check the list. It is clearly on the list. Anyone else experienced this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Have been setting up the Xbox for arrival on the big day for the last few evenings, getting games installed and updates downloaded. I had bought Sonic the Hedgehog Xbox 360 game for it, as it was on the list of backwards compatible games. However every time I put the disc in it is giving me error code 0x8082000c and saying the game "is not playable here" and to check the list. It is clearly on the list. Anyone else experienced this.

I think although they've released the list, that doesn't mean the titles are actually playable yet. Gears of war only unlocked last week I think.

It's not the same sonic the hedgehog game as the one thats compatible, the disc based one was released in 2007/8 and is a brand new game, the one thats Backward Compatible is the download only one originally released on the megadrive in 199X???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

It's not the same sonic the hedgehog game as the one thats compatible, the disc based one was released in 2007/8 and is a brand new game, the one thats Backward Compatible is the download only one originally released on the megadrive in 199X???

But you can't download the download only version on the one, and their advice on backward compatibility seemed to focus on people who already had the games either in the 360 library or on disc.

• Advertisement

But you can't download the download only version on the one, and their advice on backward compatibility seemed to focus on people who already had the games either in the 360 library or on disc.

You can buy the game via the Xbox.com website and it'll auto download from there

Advertisement