Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm New To Xbox Megathread : CHRISTMAS 2015 EDITION

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Ivan hardly believe it. FIFA 16 is now playable on the new xboxOne... It's now waiting for Santa to deliver it tomorrow night.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Happy Christmas to all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Lisha wrote: »
    Ivan hardly believe it. FIFA 16 is now playable on the new xboxOne... It's now waiting for Santa to deliver it tomorrow night.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Happy Christmas to all

Happy Christmas, may your son have many happy gaming hours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Chopper Dave

I wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction:

I've a new Xbox One in the house for Christmas and have followed all the setup instructions in this thread (thanks) including setting up a Microsoft/Xbox account.

My problem is that I have received a number of 14 day and 2 day codes for the Xbox Live service. I've now redeemed three of these but when I go to Xbox live I'm told that I have no subscription. Initially I though I'd made a mistake on the first code but I've carefully input the second two and I'm getting 'success' messages. However the service is still not active and when I re-input the codes I'm told they were already redeemed.

Is there something I'm missing in how I set up the console as to why this has happened? Any help gratefully received.

I should say that everything else about the console has worked fine

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I've a new Xbox One in the house for Christmas and have followed all the setup instructions in this thread (thanks) including setting up a Microsoft/Xbox account.

My problem is that I have received a number of 14 day and 2 day codes for the Xbox Live service. I've now redeemed three of these but when I go to Xbox live I'm told that I have no subscription. Initially I though I'd made a mistake on the first code but I've carefully input the second two and I'm getting 'success' messages. However the service is still not active and when I re-input the codes I'm told they were already redeemed.

Is there something I'm missing in how I set up the console as to why this has happened? Any help gratefully received.

What do you mean when you go to Xbox live ? Are you trying to play online in a game ?

Those codes allow you time to play multiplayer games , they are trial codes so it will say you have no subscription , theres no issue .

Just a head up though do not pay the microsoft rate for a gold sub, plenty of places to get a years membership and the free games every month for under 40 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Lads Does every xbox come with kinnect In the box?or should it?i bought my sons 1tb edition in argos and it didn't.
    And when playing fifa 16 the screen flickers in play.it doesnt do this at any other time during any other game.any idea why it s doing this?

Oh and does anyone know if forza horizon 2 can be made a two player game?is it a two player game?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Lads Does every xbox come with kinnect In the box?or should it?i bought my sons 1tb edition in argos and it didn't.
    And when playing fifa 16 the screen flickers in play.it doesnt do this at any other time during any other game.any idea why it s doing this?

Thanks.

No, kinect doesn't come with it if you didn't buy it in a bundle. Try holding on to the X button on the front of the console for 10 seconds to completely reset it and see if it gets rid of any flickering. Enjoy the new xbox!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Chopper Dave

emmetkenny wrote: »
    What do you mean when you go to Xbox live ? Are you trying to play online in a game ?

At the moment I was checking the status of the sucscription both online and on the Console. Both say I'm unsubscribed and offer payment options for 1,3 and six months. Gold games, etc are not free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

At the moment I was checking the status of the sucscription both online and on the Console. Both say I'm unsubscribed and offer payment options for 1,3 and six months. Gold games, etc are not free

There must be a restriction on certain stuff so. As Enfilade was saying, you can get xbox live cheap online. Try here http://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/memberships

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mother of glob, these install times are insane!
    And it seemed patchy if a title installed while on stand by our not.
    Also, half the room on the HDD has disappeared, with a handful of titles there!
    On a brighter note, finally got to play Elite Dangerous, or rather the training stuff, it's amazing, No Man's Sky can bugger off!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

All of the Games with Gold and (some of) the Deals with Gold require a paid subscription, i.e. a free trail of gold won't get you the freebies/best deals.

Install times can be a little extreme, take your console offline to install the games from disk, and then bring it back online to install the patches. Also, an external hard drive will generally reduce install/load times as well, the drive in the Xbox One is a cheap as chips drive, and it shows with the speed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Might pick up an external drive in the sales, though my other current gen machine doesn't seem to be quite the HDD hog.
    My son has taken over the console to play Minecraft Story Mode, so I'll be wrestling the controller from him to play a spot of Halo 5 shortly!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Might pick up an external drive in the sales, though my other current gen machine doesn't seem to be quite the HDD hog.
    My son has taken over the console to play Minecraft Story Mode, so I'll be wrestling the controller from him to play a spot of Halo 5 shortly!

It really depends on the games to be honest, some are tiny, and then some are abnormally huge! Make sure the hard drive is USB 3 and above 256GB and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Choosey

Does anyone know when more games will be added to the the compatibility list?

My son got a Xbox one for Christmas but none of his Xbox 360 games will play even though most of them are relatively new eg Lego Jurassic Park, Lego Marvel Super Heros, Minecraft, Batman.

Thanks

Choosey wrote: »
    Does anyone know when more games will be added to the the compatibility list?

My son got a Xbox one for Christmas but none of his Xbox 360 games will play even though most of them are relatively new eg Lego Jurassic Park, Lego Marvel Super Heros, Minecraft, Batman.

Thanks

They might never come to Backward Compatibility. If he enjoys playing those games he would be as well to keep the 360 for them and get the newer games he wants on the One.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Choosey

Ok thanks. Do you know how they determine what games are made compatible?

Cheers

Choosey wrote: »
    Ok thanks. Do you know how they determine what games are made compatible?

Cheers

No, it's all a mystery at the moment. The first step is getting permission from the publisher, which is no sure thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Just thought I'd give a summary of this XBox One newbie and how Christmas went.

Son unwrapped a whole bunch of presents: the 1Tb console, extra controller, charging kits, chatpad, XO One headset, 12 months Live Gold card, and games (Minecraft, LEGO Dimensions, Halo 5, LEGO Batman 3).

Set up was quick, thanks to advice received here and 24 hours in the attic in early December.

We've been playing LEGO Dimensions together, doing a mission or two per day. He's tried Minecraft for a while, but not enjoying it as much as he does the one on his laptop (he's a Titan on Mineplex). He's looking forward to add his class mates as XB1 friends, but doesn't know gamertags.

Meanwhile, I've been trying to revive some of my youth by downloading Madden 16 and Need for Speed (couldn't resist the reduced prices). I'm only playing an hour or two while the son and SWMBO are sleeping.

Now looking for a place to unload the Wii U.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

JoyPad wrote: »

Son unwrapped a whole bunch of presents: the 1Tb console, extra controller, charging kits, chatpad, XO One headset, 12 months Live Gold card, and games (Minecraft, LEGO Dimensions, Halo 5, LEGO Batman 3).

Set up was quick, thanks to advice received here and 24 hours in the attic in early December.

We've been playing LEGO Dimensions together, doing a mission or two per day. He's tried Minecraft for a while, but not enjoying it as much as he does the one on his laptop (he's a Titan on Mineplex). He's looking forward to add his class mates as XB1 friends, but doesn't know gamertags.

Meanwhile, I've been trying to revive some of my youth by downloading Madden 16 and Need for Speed (couldn't resist the reduced prices). I'm only playing an hour or two while the son and SWMBO are sleeping.

I'm also new to Xbox and also (for family reasons) having limited gaming time. Why unload the WiiU though?

I have a gaming PC and a WiiU already, but found the PC was being monopolised by my SWMBO! I'm loving the XBox so far, but the WiiU does have spectacular catalogue of exclusives and you can play Off TV as well.

Thanks JoyPad, great to get positive feedback on this thread! Welcome to the Xbox family, hope you and your family enjoy your gaming!

• Advertisement

druss wrote: »
    [...]Why unload the WiiU though?
    It had been collecting dust for a while now.
    CatInABox wrote: »
    Thanks JoyPad, great to get positive feedback on this thread! Welcome to the Xbox family, hope you and your family enjoy your gaming!
    I received a lot of help, on this thread as well as the headset discussion, and the BA thread has helped me save a few bob here and there.

Forgot to mention that the most appealing features, so far, come from Kinect: auto-login, voice commands, controlling the TV and the sat receiver. Son loved these things above all else.

It had been collecting dust for a while now.

I received a lot of help, on this thread as well as the headset discussion, and the BA thread has helped me save a few bob here and there.

Forgot to mention that the most appealing features, so far, come from Kinect: auto-login, voice commands, controlling the TV and the sat receiver. Son loved these things above all else.

Yeah, the Kinect isn't what I'd call necessary, but it's in the "extremely nice to have" bracket.

Get yourself an EA access account, around €26 a year, and you can have a bunch of games from their vault, including Need for Speed Rivals, Plants Vs Zombies, Battlefield 4 and several sports games. This collection will change over time.
    You also get to download trails of the likes of Star Wars Battlefront.
    I got it myself and it's well worth the few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

My son got a xb1 for Christmas. I am struggling to find the monthly free games on the store. It looks like you have to search for the game by name and then download. Found Thief. But what about the 360 ones ? There is just a link with "play on xb1". Is this available for free ?

Also, storage is disappearing fast. Does any game run off the disc ? It looks like everything has to install to the drive. I wasn't counting on adding a 2tb drive so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Use a omputer/Laptop/Mobile phone to find the game on xbox.com and then add it through there, it will appear to the far right of the Games section in My Games and Apps.
    Games are quiet big on the XB1, you might want to buy an external HD to install them on.
    I got a 1TB for €70ish, they are currently on sale in PC World, I have 60 games installed on it between ones I bought and the GWG for XB1 and 360

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Get yourself an EA access account[...]
    I thought I'd be smart and save a few bob on this one, and placed an order on eBay for £11.99 in early December. The link was in the BA thread.

Unfortunately, I've not received the thing yet, and I have a Paypal non-receipt claim still open. When I get refunded, I'll probably get it the usual way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

Use a omputer/Laptop/Mobile phone to find the game on xbox.com and then add it through there, it will appear to the far right of the Games section in My Games and Apps.
    Games are quiet big on the XB1, you might want to buy an external HD to install them on.
    I got a 1TB for €70ish, they are currently on sale in PC World, I have 60 games installed on it between ones I bought and the GWG for XB1 and 360

Tried Xbox.com on mobile-very poor
    Loaded smart glass for xb1- much better but when I go to store and scroll past featured, I get just thief listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

From what I gathered and from my own expereince, you cant get a 360 GWG by looking for it through the XB1.
    If you have a 360, download it from there and it will then appear on the One, otherwise, what I usually do, I look for it on xbox.com and get it on there, it then appears on the One in My Games and Apps to download.
    Thats what I have been doing for the past year anyway

Damien360 wrote: »
    Tried Xbox.com on mobile-very poor
    Loaded smart glass for xb1- much better but when I go to store and scroll past featured, I get just thief listed.

It should also show Killer Instinct Season 1.

Each GWG title will only be available for around two weeks. Once that time is gone you can't get them anymore.

The best way to get all the games for both One and 360 is to use Xbox.com on your laptop browser.

The SmartGlass app your using is an Xbox One SmartGlass app and only shows Xbox One related content.

Log in as normal and look along the bar for Xbox Live. Click in here and look for Games with Gold. Follow though to the end and you will own the games. If you have your One set to instant on the games will download in the background.

Just a note from your earlier post. All new consoles need the game installed on the HD. The advantage the One has over the PS4 is that it allows for direct play from a connected external drive. On the PS4 you need to swap out the internal drive to gain more storage.

• Advertisement

My Xbox One is one week old and I have about 60Gb left on a 500Gb hdd.
    To say I was surprised is an understatement!
    The fact that they say they have this wonderful "perfect" emulation of the 360 but expect you to install the whole game on the hdd to use it is mad, and then just use the game disc as a key.
    I have similar numbers of physical games on my PS4 and far more digital titles on the system but the format just isn't as much a hog of space.

Advertisement