Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm New To Xbox Megathread : CHRISTMAS 2015 EDITION

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have similar numbers of physical games on my PS4 and far more digital titles on the system but the format just isn't as much a hog of space.

Multiplatform games are virtually the same size on both systems so I don't really see what you're saying apart from having extra 360 games on the xb1?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My Xbox One is one week old and I have about 60Gb left on a 500Gb hdd.
    To say I was surprised is an understatement!
    The fact that they say they have this wonderful "perfect" emulation of the 360 but expect you to install the whole game on the hdd to use it is mad, and then just use the game disc as a key.
    I have similar numbers of physical games on my PS4 and far more digital titles on the system but the format just isn't as much a hog of space.

Plug an external drive into the USB port. Problem solved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Maybe, but the PS4 is a packed front end of titles, big and small, downloaded from their PS Store, I have it a number of years now.
    The XB1, I have a week, and already it's topping out.
    The Rare Replay disc is one culprit, insisting on installing the 360 titles instead of running them from the disc. I'm assuming they aren't actually on the disc and, when selected from the in game menu, it simply links to the game you've installed.
    Now I already own Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Perfect Dark HD and they run just fine on the 360, it's just a pity they don't run from the disc.

A lot of it is down to the derision heaped upon Nintendo's decision to lob a mere 8Gb of storage in the basic model of the WiiU, while the premium console got a 32Gb storage space. Neither is adequate and both must be enhanced with an external hdd, I've an extra 250Gb plugged in the back.

The XB1, whilst having 500Gb of space, see's that disappear very quickly when a XB1 title gobbles up 60Gb of space a throw!

I don't really buy much in the way of multiplatform titles tbh, more of a platform exclusive fan, that being the reason I own a WiiU, PS4 and an XB1, along with the other 50 odd consoles in my collection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Plug an external drive into the USB port. Problem solved.

Yeah, going to do that in the coming weeks.

Maybe, but the PS4 is a packed front end of titles, big and small, downloaded from their PS Store, I have it a number of years now.
    The Rare Replay disc is one culprit, insisting on installing the 360 titles instead of running them from the disc. I'm assuming they aren't actually on the disc and, when selected from the in game menu, it simply links to the game you've installed.
    Now I already own Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Perfect Dark HD and they run just fine on the 360, it's just a pity they don't run from the disc.

A lot of it is down to the derision heaped upon Nintendo's decision to lob a mere 8Gb of storage in the basic model of the WiiU, while the premium console got a 32Gb storage space. Neither is adequate and both must be enhanced with an external hdd, I've an extra 250Gb plugged in the back.

The XB1, whilst having 500Gb of space, see's that disappear very quickly when a XB1 title gobbles up 60Gb of space a throw!

I don't really buy much in the way of multiplatform titles tbh, more of a platform exclusive fan, that being the reason I own a WiiU, PS4 and an XB1, along with the other 50 odd consoles in my collection.

You have to install all games on the PS4 as well don't you ?

At least Microsoft allow for a plug and play drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Interesting, Didn't know that the PS4 also required this.

The Wii U picked up a lot of flack for only coming with tiny 8gb and 32gb hard drives as standard and assuming that customers would either stick with hard copy format or attach further usb storage. In retrospect this seems a more cost efficient and honest approach. And with Wii U games being much smaller/more optimised, there is no way I'll fill the 1gb drive I brought for the Wii U. (examples: Xenoblade is around 20gb, Bayonetta 2 around 15, Splatoon and Super Mario 3D World barely touch on 2GB!)

To be honest, I assumed my 1tb Xbox would be all i'd need storage wise for a long time. But digital splurge over Xmas and I'm rapidly filling it up. I didn't expect games to be so big or for cd copies to require disk volume as well.

Edit: cross posting with Ciderman! Much duplication...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

When the Xbox One was released in 2013 AAA titles were a good bit smaller in size as were indie titles.

It took me almost a year and a half to fill the 500gb hard drive full of AAA titles and indies before purchasing a portable hard drive.

Now fast forward to today. AAA titles are massive in size in comparison to 2013 sizes. I can see why you think the Xbox One takes up more storage space in game installs since you have only owned it for a week. The reality is the PS4 uses the same storage per game for multiplatform games and games in general.

Rare replay is a great bargain for multiple games but of course that will hit your storage but great to have so many games. Backward compatibility is a gem at the moment with competitors wanting to charge for the privilege.

My recommendation would be to purchase a 2tb portable hard drive.

On reflection it's probably EA Access that's doing it.
    I've installed Battlefield 4, Hardline, Titanfall, Need for Speed and Plants Vs Zombies, not to mention buying Elite Dangerous via the shop, and seeing Halo 5, Halo MCC, Rare Replay and Minecraft Story Mode installed.....
    Yeah, might have to uninstall a couple of them....

And, just so's you know, I'm a console agnostic, I believe in videogaming with all my heart but don't adhere to one church/format, it's all good.

Unless it's a Philips CDi, in which case it's sh1te!

On reflection it's probably EA Access that's doing it.
    I've installed Battlefield 4, Hardline, Titanfall, Need for Speed and Plants Vs Zombies, not to mention buying Elite Dangerous via the shop, and seeing Halo 5, Halo MCC, Rare Replay and Minecraft Story Mode installed.....
    Yeah, might have to uninstall a couple of them....

And, just so's you know, I'm a console agnostic, I believe in videogaming with all my heart but don't adhere to one church/format, it's all good.

Unless it's a Philips CDi, in which case it's sh1te!

So you have

Battlefield 4
    Battlefield Hard-line
    Titianfall
    NFS
    PvZ
    Elite Dangerous
    Halo 1-5
    Rare Replay
    Minecraft Story

That's 13 games right there. Anymore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

emmetkenny wrote: »
    So you have

Battlefield 4
    Battlefield Hard-line
    Titianfall
    NFS
    PvZ
    Elite Dangerous
    Halo 1-5
    Rare Replay
    Minecraft Story

That's 13 games right there. Anymore :D

Battlefield 4 is nearly 90 gig on its own!

• Advertisement

Battlefield 4 is nearly 90 gig on its own!

I flipping know!
    So many first person shooters, so little time!

Advertisement