Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

float tubing

Options
  • 06-11-2015 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Anybody on here do any float tubing for pike in Irish waters?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fairway

cant edit the above post for some reason.
    Is there a float tube club / group in Ireland?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I've tried it but never felt comfortable sitting in the tube. i also found it very difficult to steer with my flippers and any breeze at all and you were whisked across the water. I gave it up and bought a kayak..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

A friend does it all the time - he now even has a little motor for what he calls his "belly boat". My opinion is that it's a bit of a loner fishing method - everyone else is either on a boat or the shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

bpmurray wrote: »
    A friend does it all the time - he now even has a little motor for what he calls his "belly boat". My opinion is that it's a bit of a loner fishing method - everyone else is either on a boat or the shore.

Correct but the real advantage of having a floattube is having easy access to lakes where it's relatively impossible to fish from the shore or launch a boat. OP I just got my floattube during the summer and I can't recommend it enough. Literally makes any water accessible, easy fished from and easily transported, and very handy if u want to do some fly fishing for pike. There not too expensive either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

http://www.greenhobbymodel.com/floattubeireland/

That's your man. Used be on here, still may be. Irish float tuber or something like that was his username.
    I love tubing and I know many who do but I also know many who hate it. You will know pretty quickly if it's for you so I'd recommend having a go with someone's gear first if you can. A gale/ huge water might not be the ideal way to start let's say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

love it!! the best way to fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

for anyone who flyfishes for pike the pike flyfishing association have an Irish branch who are quite active and have regular meetings around the country. I don't have time to attend them but know many of the members fish from tubes on a regular basis. You have to be a member to access their forum. http://www.pffa.co.uk/forum/

I mostly fish for trout in my tube but have had only jacks when targeting pike. My best pike with a flyrod have all been from a boat but that is down to luck and boat being my preferred method overall. The amazing thing about floattubes is how close you can get to fish without spooking them. I've had trout rise less than a rod length from my fins. Too close to cast a fly to in fact!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Auldloon said:
    http://www.greenhobbymodel.com/floattubeireland/

That's your man. Used be on here, still may be. Irish float tuber or something like that was his username.
    That would be me. :-)
    Irishfloattube is another handle I use but not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Welcome back coolwings :)

Advertisement