Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front door glass broken.

Options
  • 06-11-2015 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Just got a message from my tenant that the front door is sticking after rain , wooden door, he tells me a glass panel is cracked because of the force needed to close the door, I responsible to fix the glass.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

mcko wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Just got a message from my tenant that the front door is sticking after rain , wooden door, he tells me a glass panel is cracked because of the force needed to close the door, I responsible to fix the glass.

is this a question a statement or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Sounds like wear and tear to me. Do you have reason to believe otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Some external doors do warp and expand at this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

mcko wrote: »
    Hi All,

If you're asking if you're responsible for fixing the door/glass then yes, you need to have it repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

When a tenant breaks something like a door it is their responsibility to pay. It is not wear and tear. The claim the door was sticking after it breaking is their fault. If they had asked you to fix it and then it broke further such as the glass I would say the landlord is responsible. The fact they told you about the problem after making it worse is their fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Hi i am a glazier and i do a lot of work with landlords in this situation. Some pay some don't. But I always find in the long run if the bill is split between Tennant and landlord. And the Tennant warned in the future to report any faults as soon as they are discovered. Generally the house is then kept to a better state of repair. It is true that a wooden door can expand in the cold weather but it is never instant that the glass would break like that so it must of been stiff for a while. I'd say the door needs to be planned slightly and glass repaired. So this doesn't happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    When a tenant breaks something like a door it is their responsibility to pay. It is not wear and tear. The claim the door was sticking after it breaking is their fault. If they had asked you to fix it and then it broke further such as the glass I would say the landlord is responsible. The fact they told you about the problem after making it worse is their fault.

It was wear and tear if the door was poorly installed in the first place. Which is was. A wooden door shouldnt stick in wet weather if its sealed properly.

So if this was they couldnt close the hall door early in the morning. The tenant was supposed to tell the LL they couldnt close the door. Phone into work to say they cant come in as their hall door wont shut?

OP stick in glass more suitable for a hall door eg laminated glass or toughened glass. Seal the door, so it doesn't stick this time.

Advertisement