Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food gems in Melboourne

Options
  • 06-11-2015 5:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Heading over to Melbourne on holidays in January, any cool bars, brewerys or food type places that people would recommend that won't break the bank, thanks

Went to hofbrauhaus last time and loved it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Munich Brauhaus in South Wharf is good. Massive beer selection and food is pretty good. It's huge and usually has a pretty good atmosphere. There are a load of good places in Fizroy e.g. Naked for Satan (rooftop bar/restaurant), Little Creatures Dining Hall and Forester's Hall which are both craft beer/food places. The Night Cat is a good spot to go afterwards, it's a nightclub that has live music most nights.

In the CBD there are plenty of places but I'd recommend Grand Trailer Park Taverna (burgers), Siglo (rooftop bar) and Mamasita (Mexican). As always in Melbourne it's best to get in early or be prepared to wait for a table on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

^^ Little Creatures is closing for good in January so you might not be there in time to go there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

I Think I was in Little creatures before

a few more places I want to go to

1.Meat and wine co
    2.Squires loft
    3.Tamsumi
    4.The longroom
    5.GG

Anyone here been to any of these places? I was in squires loft before and it was awesome, up there with one of the best steaks and ribs ever

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

A few gems here but note the Espy is currently closed.

http://www.thebeerpilgrim.com.au/post/87769948828/the-top-12-places-to-have-a-beer-in-melbourne

There's also a bit of a trend currently for bars to list what kegs they have just tapped. So you can check online beforehand.
    I'm northside so these would be places I've been to and likely to bring visitors to:

The Alehouse Project on Lygon in Brunswick, around the corner from Temple Brewery is pretty good and changes what's on tap weekly, also quite a list of bottled. 2 blocks over on Sydney Road, you'll find the Mess Hall. Spotted Mallard is just down the way & often has live music, as is the Cornish Arms which incidentally has vegan beers & food.

The Beaufort on Rathdowne, Carlton is a good spot for ribs & beer, as is Fancy Hanks by Victoria Market & Le Bon Ton in Collingwood. Other ones I've tried are Nieuw Amsterdam in CBD (bit more $$) There's also Meatmother in Richmond, Meatmaiden in CBD & Smokey's all american bbq in Port Melbourne (bit $ for what we got for lunch)

Easeys in Collingwood is a bit different if you want to have a burger in a train carriage on top of a building.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

If you like a good steak get yourself to Rockpool in Crown. Won't be a cheap night but it's bloody good! Also San Telmo (Argentine) is very good. Squires Loft does do a very good steak though, you can't go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

depends on what you want to spend really.
    nobu on southbank, japanese, pricey but easily worth it.
    The Grain Store. unreal breakfast, wouldn't expect lunch to be anything less.
    third wave in prahan. great brekkie again.
    Hercules Morse Kitchen + Bar, South Melbourne. A must, simple as!!

the above is a short list, really you are spoilt for choice. one thing which aussies do an exceptional job at is breakfast, make the most of that while you are in melbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Heading over to Melbourne on holidays in January, any cool bars, brewerys or food type places that people would recommend that won't break the bank, thanks

Went to hofbrauhaus last time and loved it

Beers on Ponyfish Island on the river is a must. As is checking out some of the rooftop bars - Campari House, Madame Brussels etc

Heartbreaker is a new one and it pretty cool as well - if you like that New York dive bar vibe. Whiskey and alement or boilermaker house if you like scotch, whiskey etc

For beers Local Tap House in St Kilda is great.

Make sure you check out the Queen Vic markets on a wednesday night as well! And if your here in January go the Aussie Open - its a great day out!

Advertisement