Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick and dirty car wash thread!

• 06-11-2015 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭

Don't have time to dedicate a whole day to cleaning? don't have the disposable to spend hundreds on gear? don't know where to start?

this is definitely more "cleaning" than "detailing" but sometimes the lines between the two are rather blurred anyway. however, i said i'd take people through my usual car wash, which is, on occasion, a quick affair. i love cars and i love when my car looks good, it saddens me when i see the wheels black with brake dust, bird sh1t on my bonnet or a build up of dirt outside of the swept area of the windscreen wipers. i find washing and cleaning the car very therapeutic but given my lack of time, money and willing to be out in the cold and darkness any longer than i should, here's how i clean my car with <€25 worth of supplies in under an hour, most of the time.

indeed my car has swirl marks. but it has 250k km's on the clock and has been resprayed in places before, has severe road rash along the front, rust and lacquer peel in places and sometimes the cat sleeps on it, so although i don't want to inflict any heavy damage, minor wear and tear on the paint is not something i'm trying to worry about.

this is really just to show what can be done with limited resources to noobs who may have a casual interest in making their car more presentable and are looking to dip their toes in. It's also in the hope that people like myself who are considered once a month/ week warriors who still enjoy cleaning their car to post up pics and the process etc :)

first off, some delicious pictures of the dirt. this is 5 days and around 1500km's worth.

DSC_0111.jpg

rear bumper
    DSC_0114.jpg

inner wheel arch
    DSC_0116.jpg

front wing
    DSC_0118.jpg

drivers side door
    DSC_0119.jpg

front bumper
    DSC_0120.jpg

front wheel
    DSC_0121.jpg

rear wheel
    DSC_0122.jpg

front bumper
    DSC_0126.jpg

drivers window
    DSC_0130.jpg

passenger side
    DSC_0125.jpg

first off, i got one of these pressure sprayer bottles from Mr. Price, €2 and it's the business, i fill this with around 50ml Simoniz car shampoo (€4.50 in Tesco for 500mls) and the rest with warm water, i spray it around the wheel arches, the wheels and tyres themselves, along the lower bodywork and any heavily soiled places like the windscreen, front bumper etc.

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

following on from that i rinse the car from the top down with the pressure washer, paying particular attention to the heavily soiled areas around the wheel arches, lower body panels and wheels etc, making quite sure to rinse away all the heavy grit.

pressure washer pre shampoo rinse
    DSC_0144.jpg

driver side rear bumper
    DSC_0145.jpg

driver side rear wheel arch
    DSC_0150.jpg

drivers window
    DSC_0152.jpg

drivers side wing
    DSC_0153.jpg

front bumper
    DSC_0157.jpg

at this point, i work away at the bodywork, a 10L bucket full of warm water with 50ml of the same Simoniz shampoo and a wash basin to rinse the sponge in. I'm using a microfiber sponge, €3 in Tesco. washing from the top down.

microfiber sponge for bodywork
    DSC_0158.jpg

after the whole car has been rubbed down i give it a thorough rinse and then give the whole car a spritz with Demon Shine (€10 for 2000ml) which helps to dry the car and offers a small amount of gloss to the finished article. i used an old, well rinsed Mr. Muscle bottle to apply the Demon Shine, seems to work rather well and it was much more cost effective the one i paid €2 for in Mr. Price.

shampoo rinsed
    DSC_0162.jpg

Demon shine spritz
    DSC_0165.jpg

while the Demon Sine is doing it's thing, i set my attention to first blasting the wheel faces with the power washer, giving them a shampooing and then rinsing them and applying Demon Shine to them also. it's the same process as the bodywork really. i'm just using a conventional yellow sponge on the wheels these are usually less than €1 and my wheels, like most are far from "mint" so it's more than sufficient but i guess a second microfiber couldn't hurt. i also applied Meguiars Endurance Gel to the tyres in early September which still leaves the tyres looking contently black with no need for reapplication once they've been washed and dried.

after pressure washer rinse
    DSC_0166.jpg

yellow sponge for wheel faces
    DSC_0167.jpg

drivers side rear wheel face after shampoo rinsing
    DSC_0168.jpg

drivers side front wheel face after shampoo rinsing
    DSC_0169.jpg

once the wheels are looked after, i set about rinsing the whole car from the top down one last time to really get the Demon Shine moving before drying. to dry it i use a JML Drying towel, you see these in Halfords, Tesco and the likes, usually around €5 quid, it's a decent big size and quite soft and absorbent, it's not a microfiber, more wolly. Once i've dried the bodywork i usually drive the car around the block which does an awesome job of drying the wheels and it also gets all the water out of the water pockets like door mirrors, sills, bumper gaps etc so i can run around to those and dry them off once more.

the Demon Shine working away on the driver side. in real life, these beads are rolling down the car, not static.
    DSC_0172.jpg

beading away
    DSC_0174.jpg

Demon Shine on the boot
    DSC_0175.jpg

drying towel
    DSC_0176.jpg

then i stand back, admire, go inside and spend some time on boards :)

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

how's the beading? respectable. at the start of September i slapped on 2 coats of Jetseal with no preparation whatsoever and it's still beading pretty strongly despite this being my wash process every week for the last 9-10 weeks and me covering just shy of 9k at this time of year. i'l take some photos after the next rain shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Great job.
    On a car of that condition and value.
    But to be fair, It is not a method I would advice and a new ( er ) car or a car with a decent value.

Thanks for the comment Vectra :) although i'm not so sure what the value of the car has to do with the wash process as such.

it rained during the night, which is typical seeing as i had just washed the car :pac: here's a few beading photos.

this is 2 coats of Jetseal 109 applied over absolutely no prepwork at the start of September, the car has since been washed around 10 times with the Simoniz shampoo and covered around 9k km's on national routes in all kinds of weather. i think it's holding up rather well.

IMG_20151107_091112.jpg

IMG_20151107_091244.jpg

IMG_20151107_091141.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭2forjoy

very impressive method

• Advertisement

Thanks for the comment Vectra :) although i'm not so sure what the value of the car has to do with the wash process as such.

Credit where credit is due.
    But that is more of a valet than a detail.
    Good job though as it came out clean.
    Personally for the price of products I would recommend Soft99 Fusso x 2 coats.

As for my comment about the value of the car. Well to be fair what is the value of it?
    I simply could not use those products on a car worth a substantial amount of money.

I can assure you if you spent an extra hour or 2 on that car and clayed it, Then applied 2 coats of Fusso ( you can do the wheels as well with it. )
    You would have a much easier job washing it in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Think what vectra saying ' it's a old banger that'll do', bit of number plate snobbery maybe :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Its clean your happy, yes?? then happy days, it looking well.

I would agree with Vectra though that perhaps a damn good session (if you have the time n dollar) with a suitable durable wax/sealant will reduce the inter rim wash's to as little as a good rinse with washer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

The beading you are showing in the picture above is the beading from the Demon Shine.
    JetSeal would bead in a different way, tighter, rounder beads, like this

IMG_1487-1_zps69db9d04.jpg.html

Fair play for taking the time to show what can be achieved on a tight budget.

Interesting :) I thought the jetseal beads would weaken over time though, kinda like they are in those photos. I mean they aren't just going to be perfect week 1, perfect week 2, perfect week 3, then one day just gone, they would deteriorate from tight beads to looser beads like those over time right?

I didn't think the demon shine would bead like that tbh as i've often used it as a drying aid on friends cars that i've washed, that would never have had any previous protection applied, and i've never seen them bead like that afterwards, the water would generally still be pretty much dead on the paint.

Might go a fortnight without demon shine as a drying aid and see how things are looking. All in the name of science :)

Thanks for the comment anyway! the whole thing kind of stemmed from a post I seen on detailing world years ago when I was much more fanatical about detailing, someone said "a product doesn't have to be expensive to be good" and I though that that was a great, often overlooked point.

I mean the real "damage" is done through the direct contact in the was process isn't it? So once you are careful to remove as much solid debris as possible before contact, your wash should be fairly safe and damage free, I mean Simoniz and a yellow sponge doesn't cause swirl marks; grit does. Think the opposite of the phrase "all the gear, no idea", that's what i'm aiming for. Not much gear but a good idea.

Interesting :) I thought the jetseal beads would weaken over time though, kinda like they are in those photos. I mean they aren't just going to be perfect week 1, perfect week 2, perfect week 3, then one day just gone, they would deteriorate from tight beads to looser beads like those over time right?

I didn't think the demon shine would bead like that tbh as i've often used it as a drying aid on friends cars that i've washed, that would never have had any previous protection applied, and i've never seen them bead like that afterwards, the water would generally still be pretty much dead on the paint.

Might go a fortnight without demon shine as a drying aid and see how things are looking. All in the name of science :)

Thanks for the comment anyway! the whole thing kind of stemmed from a post I seen on detailing world years ago when I was much more fanatical about detailing, someone said "a product doesn't have to be expensive to be good" and I though that that was a great, often overlooked point.

I mean the real "damage" is done through the direct contact in the was process isn't it? So once you are careful to remove as much solid debris as possible before contact, your wash should be fairly safe and damage free, I mean Simoniz and a yellow sponge doesn't cause swirl marks; grit does. Think the opposite of the phrase "all the gear, no idea", that's what i'm aiming for. Not much gear but a good idea.

In ways you are somewhat correct in this post but..!

Yes, The real damage is done in the wash process,

This can be helped though by having a good quality sealant on the paint,
    This serves 2 purposes
    1) Obviously protecting the paint.

2) Makes washing the car much simpler.
    ie.
    Dirt and grit does not stick to protected paint as much as it literally "embed" itself in unprotected paint.

so basically when you pressure wash a protected car most of the grit slides off.

Pressure wash unprotected paint and you are leaving behind hidden dirt and grit. Which in turn could get dragged around the rest of the car. Especially with a sponge.

If it were me in your shoes and want to do minimal work but have the car clean I would clay it.
    followed by two coats of Jetseal if you still have some.
    Then possible top up coat of jetseal every couple of months,
    It would make the job much easier.

Failing that you have some 109 left. Go get a tin of Soft99 Fusso
    or
    FinishKare 1000P

OH
    and only use the demon shine as a clay lube.
    I find the above sealants look much better on their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Sorry Vectra but it is posts and attitudes like this that have ruined this section of boards. I used to love learning and reading the posts in the detailing section and trying to contribute myself. However, There is a group of regular posters in here (yourself included) that are totally unaccepting of any other product or methods than those you use and make sure to belittle anyone who doesn't use them.

Also bringing up the value of someone else's car is totally irrelevant to detailing. Just because you have a scheme going to drive a new econobox diesel means nothing. The true value of a car is what it means to the owner. A car that is "worth" €500 might be worth the world to someone and is worth a €€€€ detail to them.

a lot of posters don't have the time to spend hours on their cars like you seem to. They have full time jobs, long commutes, friends, hobbies, girlfriends, wives etc. So a quick, cheap and relatively safe wash like TFB has demonstrated is all they have time for.

Ded_Zebra; you've been missed in these parts! :)

I think most people on here have the best intentions when replying and are only pointing out potential risk of wash damage, or whatever. Nobody is knocking doing a quick wash or using cheaper products, but rather giving 'a stitch in time, saves nine' type of advice. At least thats how I hope my advice is perceived? Perhaps not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

To be fair, I've learned a lot off this Forum and I've been able to ask questions and get constructive replys from most people here, including Vectra. People have different posting styles, some more straight to the point than others, but I've taken all on board.

When it comes to get a proper polisher/pads and polish I'll be asking here on what to get and I'll follow their advice on technique/application.

My cleaning regime has changed totally and I've learned all of that from here. I have bugged some regulars here (Vectra, Curran and more) and they have all provided solid advice. Thanks to the tricks learned from here, I normally spend less than an hour on the car, with a proper detail every two or three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Sorry Vectra but it is posts and attitudes like this that have ruined this section of boards. I used to love learning and reading the posts in the detailing section and trying to contribute myself. However, There is a group of regular posters in here (yourself included) that are totally unaccepting of any other product or methods than those you use and make sure to belittle anyone who doesn't use them.

Also bringing up the value of someone else's car is totally irrelevant to detailing. Just because you have a scheme going to drive a new econobox diesel means nothing. The true value of a car is what it means to the owner. A car that is "worth" €500 might be worth the world to someone and is worth a €€€€ detail to them.

a lot of posters don't have the time to spend hours on their cars like you seem to. They have full time jobs, long commutes, friends, hobbies, girlfriends, wives etc. So a quick, cheap and relatively safe wash like TFB has demonstrated is all they have time for.

Have to agree here. As a long time reader but very rare poster I've grown a little bit tired of the usual "detailing" threads here. If I want dim, mundane threads with overpriced designer products(imo) I'll go to detailingworld. Don't get me wrong I love my car to be clean but I'm not anal about it. Just let us have this 1 thread!

When I saw the thread title, I looked forward to seeing a thread a bit more "Joe Soap :pac:", everyday products still using proper techniques to achieve a decent result that the owner was happy with. "Detailing" doesn't have to be a set standard lads :rolleyes:

I don't care that you've APC'd your wheel arches or that I can see my reflection in your door shuts :pac:

"Clean" is relative, I for one think that celica looks brilliant for an everyday driver. Maybe I'm just more of a valeting guy or I'm just in the wrong forum altogether who knows :D

Curran wrote: »
    Ded_Zebra; you've been missed in these parts! :)

I think most people on here have the best intentions when replying and are only pointing out potential risk of wash damage, or whatever. Nobody is knocking doing a quick wash or using cheaper products, but rather giving 'a stitch in time, saves nine' type of advice. At least thats how I hope my advice is perceived? Perhaps not?

Your posting style definitely doesn't fall into this category! Don't worry!
    ianobrien wrote: »
    To be fair, I've learned a lot off this Forum and I've been able to ask questions and get constructive replys from most people here, including Vectra. People have different posting styles, some more straight to the point than others, but I've taken all on board.

When it comes to get a proper polisher/pads and polish I'll be asking here on what to get and I'll follow their advice on technique/application.

My cleaning regime has changed totally and I've learned all of that from here. I have bugged some regulars here (Vectra, Curran and more) and they have all provided solid advice. Thanks to the tricks learned from here, I normally spend less than an hour on the car, with a proper detail every two or three months.

I'm in the same position as you! I've learned loads on here and there's lots of good advice too. I also try to apply as much of it as I can and try to learn and contribute more (or used to anyway). I've had my current car since January, Since then it's only been washed (for the most part I try to do it carefully 2BM etc). It was polished by hand once in April and waxed after that. It really could do with being clayed but I haven't had the chance. I could never have posted the polish/wax procedure that I used because I would have been ridiculed for not claying it and the wax that I used is probably hopeless with the polish I used! However, after this "quick and dirty" valet this is the result. IMO looks class for the hour and a half spent on it. (not the best picture unfortunately, lighting is a bit funny!)

52192F86BB2648818706D5AD1CC061A6-0000363222-0003818074-01024L-60E91B9E0AE0458097EC9D8BD6629699.jpg

Posters should be able to post up stuff like this, even if it's not considered proper detailing.A specific thread (like this one) might be the way to go for sharing how to get the job done quickly, affordably and with reasonable safety for the car. Also those who want to do it 100% correct don't have to look at it. Everyone starts somewhere and only has time for a certain amount of care.

(also, the wing and front bumper have actually been changed since this pic for better ones...slightly better!)

Your posting style definitely doesn't fall into this category! Don't worry!

I'm in the same position as you! I've learned loads on here and there's lots of good advice too. I also try to apply as much of it as I can and try to learn and contribute more (or used to anyway). I've had my current car since January, Since then it's only been washed (for the most part I try to do it carefully 2BM etc). It was polished by hand once in April and waxed after that. It really could do with being clayed but I haven't had the chance. I could never have posted the polish/wax procedure that I used because I would have been ridiculed for not claying it and the wax that I used is probably hopeless with the polish I used! However, after this "quick and dirty" valet this is the result. IMO looks class for the hour and a half spent on it. (not the best picture unfortunately, lighting is a bit funny!)

52192F86BB2648818706D5AD1CC061A6-0000363222-0003818074-01024L-60E91B9E0AE0458097EC9D8BD6629699.jpg

Posters should be able to post up stuff like this, even if it's not considered proper detailing.A specific thread (like this one) might be the way to go for sharing how to get the job done quickly, affordably and with reasonable safety for the car. Also those who want to do it 100% correct don't have to look at it. Everyone starts somewhere and only has time for a certain amount of care.

(also, the wing and front bumper have actually been changed since this pic for better ones...slightly better!)

You got any links to recent posting issue's that your seeing.

Only really seen 1 thread which was shall we say had a disagreement on policies of posts.

I would have said that other parts of motor section come up with more ridicule/slating with such open topics like which tyres, bad driving, selling price's etc

NickDunne wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just more of a valeting guy or I'm just in the wrong forum altogether who knows :D

Whats the name of this forum! :pac:

I agree, there is a place for every style of car cleaning. Not everyone is that bothered about keeping their car spotless, and for the majority of motorists, a washed car is good enough, no matter how it was performed.
    When you are among enthusiasts, if you are not so enthusiastic, you will feel a little out of your league. I mean if I were to try talk fashion to a group of 10 women, Im going to feel out of my depth, but Im happy with the cloths I wear, that they might ridicule me for wearing. Do I have to take on board what they have to say; nope. And people here post with the best intentions and dont mean to offend anyone.

Even with the cheapest products and a tight time line, there is always room for improvement; a more efficient work flow, or a safer method using the products that are already being used, and its that type of thing, I like to think, that people are picking up on, rather than ridiculing their post, though, I can understand how it may come across that way!

Sorry Vectra but it is posts and attitudes like this that have ruined this section of boards. .
    Have to agree here.

Err..
    Could I ask you both to reply under here what exactly is the name of this particular forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

vectra wrote: »
    Err..
    Could I ask you both to reply under here what exactly is the name of this particular forum?

Are you insinuating that someones work has to be of a certain standard before it can be classed as "detailing" so they can post in this Car Detailing forum?

Tell me where the line is where valeting changes to detailing?

The ethos of Detailing is the strive towards perfection.

That's all I'm saying, as my intention is not to take sides on this!

• Advertisement

Are you insinuating that someones work has to be of a certain standard before it can be classed as "detailing" so they can post in this Car Detailing forum?

Tell me where the line is where valeting changes to detailing?

Not sure if you know it or not but Detailng and Valeting are worlds apart.

I honestly cannot see why I am being slated here for posting my opinions on cleaning procedures and products used.

This reminds me of a recent thread of someone starting an issue over a few guys having a friendly ge ttogether and not officially inviting members from here. But that is another story.

Not sure if you know it or not but Detailng and Valeting are worlds apart.

I honestly cannot see why I am being slated here for posting my opinions on cleaning procedures and products used.

This reminds me of a recent thread of someone starting an issue over a few guys having a friendly ge ttogether and not officially inviting members from here. But that is another story.

I'm not too sure how this reminds you of that to be honest. As far as I'm aware the topics couldn't be less related.

As for the standard of detaining... What actually is the benchmark then for what can be posted?

There is a group of regular posters in here (yourself included) that are totally unaccepting of any other product or methods than those you use and make sure to belittle anyone who doesn't use them.

My thoughts exactly.

This subforum is located within Irelands largest motoring forum, there is huge traffic passing it, the Buying and DIY subforums either side of it appear to be far busier day to day.

Virtually every car guy loves washing his car, this is a fact of life, but as was said, there is an air of unacceptability in this forum that if you don't follow the same products and processes that your actions should be frowned upon, or is there a reason that more people aren't posting their handywork on here? As it stands it appears there is a very limited number of posters on here, 40% is thinly veiled advertising and the other 60% is lads patting one another on the back for using a limited range of expensive gear.

As was said, I think i'm pretty ordinary. I'm in college Monday to Friday, I work 20 hours over Saturday and Sunday, and in between all that I study in the evenings, spend time with Mrs. Fanboi and I have a dog that needs walking aswell as shopping and ordinary stuff so if I can give the car 60 minutes for a decent job, i'm happy with that and i'm sure there are more like me :).

I'm not looking to start a row or to put anybody down, I must make that clear, i was just hoping to open cleaning/ valeting/ detailing up to the masses a little bit, to let the "two hours of a Saturday" guys post up their work, because they are just as as proud as you guys who spend two days and we can all learn from each other, learning isn't a one way system and all that. That was my thinking behind this thread. Call it "Post a pic of your quick job here", maybe.

The Celica? Spent last week doing nearly 1k kms in the rain, then it got caught in a mucky flash flood (some of you may have seen the pics), spent the weekend under a tree and it's in Dublin Airport long term car park all this week so it will be mauldy by the time I get to wash it again, should be interesting. I'll keep you posted :)

Thanks everyone for the feedback, good and bad, hopefully the thread gains momentum for the good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I do quite a lot of "quick" washes with normal products. I just like giving the car a quick clean in between details. I use a microfibre mitt and two buckets, and regular car shampoo. I dry it after so I don't have water marks. It's good practice and no more effort than any other method and in the long run your car will look better for it. That would be my version of a quick and dirty wash.

Take a basic wash and dry, for example.

Person says they gave their car a clean using; one bucket, washing up liquid, a sponge and dry chamois.

Someone comes on and replies saying that ideally they should using
    - two buckets; a) to prevent dragging dit water back onto the car, thus preventing bad water staining, b) top help separate dirt and grit into a separate bucket and thus limiting wash damage and overall deterioration of their paintworks appearance
    - a wash mitt, so that any grit is absorbed into the fibres, unlike a sponge, thus limiting damage
    - a pH neutral shampoo, as washing up liquid is essentially very fine abrasives suspended in liquid.
    - a microfiber drying towel, as a chamois will likely cause future damage.

Other than the extra time involved in filling a second bucket, and having to rinse out the mitt in a rinse bucket before going to the wash bucket, there is very little differnece in time taken and in the wash and dry process, but taking the Detailing mentality the cars paintwork will look a lot better for a lot longer.
    Even of the poster was to take the advice, and buy a mid range mitt, Shampoo and drying towel, they have still vastly improved on their original wash process. It is not belittling their efforts, nor is it suggesting that their post wasn't detailing related and that they should reconsider their whole approach, by getting a lance, power washer, clay, polishes, etc, but rather a friendly bit of advice.

Take a basic wash and dry, for example.

Person says they gave their car a clean using; one bucket, washing up liquid, a sponge and dry chamois.

Someone comes on and replies saying that ideally they should using
    - two buckets; a) to prevent dragging dit water back onto the car, thus preventing bad water staining, b) top help separate dirt and grit into a separate bucket and thus limiting wash damage and overall deterioration of their paintworks appearance
    - a wash mitt, so that any grit is absorbed into the fibres, unlike a sponge, thus limiting damage
    - a pH neutral shampoo, as washing up liquid is essentially very fine abrasives suspended in liquid.
    - a microfiber drying towel, as a chamois will likely cause future damage.

Other than the extra time involved in filling a second bucket, and having to rinse out the mitt in a rinse bucket before going to the wash bucket, there is very little differnece in time taken and in the wash and dry process, but taking the Detailing mentality the cars paintwork will look a lot better for a lot longer.
    Even of the poster was to take the advice, and buy a mid range mitt, Shampoo and drying towel, they have still vastly improved on their original wash process. It is not belittling their efforts, nor is it suggesting that their post wasn't detailing related and that they should reconsider their whole approach, by getting a lance, power washer, clay, polishes, etc, but rather a friendly bit of advice.

I do always try to use safe methods. Snow foam, 3 buckets (one for wheels) but I still only have time to wash the car occasionally and never really have time for more than that. I wish I still did have enough time! It would be great I think to have a section in here where cheap, quick but still relatively safe washing methods can be discussed.

I can sort of see both sides of what people are saying. Yes, if people can't for very little effort dramatically improve the safety of their wash technique then happy days. But, on the other hand the bashing that TFB recently got in the today I did some detailing (I think the thread was) is too far the other way.

I also think that the comments about the value of his car etc in this thread is not acceptable. I think it's the value of the car to the owner that makes it worth a full detail or not as well as the environment it is used in. I'm not sure if you remember my Toyota Levin, I had it fully detailed at one stage and was worth taking the care to preserve IMO even though it wasn't worth more than TFBs Celica.

I do always try to use safe methods. Snow foam, 3 buckets (one for wheels) but I still only have time to wash the car occasionally and never really have time for more than that. I wish I still did have enough time! It would be great I think to have a section in here where cheap, quick but still relatively safe washing methods can be discussed.

Im not knocking, yours or anyones, wash technique; the purpose of my post earlier was to try show the type of advice people here try to give. But also, in a way, to also show, that where does one draw the line on the advice they give....in the same way Vectra was asked to define the line between valet and deatail. My point is, on a detailing forum, you are always going to get strong views, but if I were to post in the main forum that I put 5w30 oil into a BMW M5, what kind of reaction am I going to get - a similar one with lots of people saying, are you crazy, it needs 10w60. Is it better to leave the person off with the 5w30, for the sake of saving them feeling a bit ridiculous - I know if someone with the expertise advised me I was using the wrong oil, I'd be damn glad of it. Extreme example, but you understand the point Im trying to make!

And just to add, Im all for people showing off what can be achieved with cheaper products - but with that, points on where one might be able to improve on, will naturally happen. Its all part of the learning process! We all started out somewhere, with T-Cut and an auld rag!! ;)

You wouldnt believe the current state of my car....its FILTHY!! I too, am like most on here, that have limited time, but I'd prefer not to wash it, than to rush it and risk doing damage - that said, its well swirlled at this stage, as its 5 years since its been polished, but at most, its very light, thought a lot, of swriling, which will be fairly easy to correct and return the car to its former glory!

And for the record, the value of any car doesnt come into it for me - my car isnt worth more than 3k, at a push, but I still wouldnt wash it any other way than if it were a 30k motor. Nor would I wash anyone elses any different if I was asked...its like driving without a seatbelt, its just not right doing it any other way! :)

Im not knocking, yours or anyones, wash technique; the purpose of my post earlier was to try show the type of advice people here try to give. But also, in a way, to also show, that where does one draw the line on the advice they give....in the same way Vectra was asked to define the line between valet and deatail. My point is, on a detailing forum, you are always going to get strong views, but if I were to post in the main forum that I put 5w30 oil into a BMW M5, what kind of reaction am I going to get - a similar one with lots of people saying, are you crazy, it needs 10w60. Is it better to leave the person off with the 5w30, for the sake of saving them feeling a bit ridiculous - I know if someone with the expertise advised me I was using the wrong oil, I'd be damn glad of it. Extreme example, but you understand the point Im trying to make!

And just to add, Im all for people showing off what can be achieved with cheaper products - but with that, points on where one might be able to improve on, will naturally happen. Its all part of the learning process! We all started out somewhere, with T-Cut and an auld rag!! ;)

You wouldnt believe the current state of my car....its FILTHY!! I too, am like most on here, that have limited time, but I'd prefer not to wash it, than to rush it and risk doing damage - that said, its well swirlled at this stage, as its 5 years since its been polished, but at most, its very light, thought a lot, of swriling, which will be fairly easy to correct and return the car to its former glory!

And for the record, the value of any car doesnt come into it for me - my car isnt worth more than 3k, at a push, but I still wouldnt wash it any other way than if it were a 30k motor. Nor would I wash anyone elses any different if I was asked...its like driving without a seatbelt, its just not right doing it any other way! :)

I know you weren't knocking my, Just saying that I try to use safe methods quickly!

I appreciate that it is a difficult line to define. I don't really know how to either! Generally I think the forum has become less supportive than it was. It's difficult to give exact examples though. It's more of a culture change and it's very difficult to capture with just a few posts given as an example. I hope that makes sense and you don't think I'm a bit mad :P.

As I said, some regular posters are very helpful (yourself and MM for example) others are not so much. More condescending than unhelpful.

Maybe its the winter months, and they cant get out and do some cleaning that has them all frustrated! :D

• Advertisement

Maybe its the winter months, and they cant get out and do some cleaning that has them all frustrated! :D

Perhaps, but until the attitude in the detailing section changes I for one won't be posting here.

Perhaps, but until the attitude in the detailing section changes I for one won't be posting here.

If you do that the people you refer to have won. It's a bit of a cutting off your nose to spite your face situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

hard to beat a topaz roller wash for €5... done in 5 minutes and don't have to leave the car to get cold /wet or work up a sweat... you get the same result more or less :)

hard to beat a topaz roller wash for €5... done in 5 minutes and don't have to leave the car to get cold /wet or work up a sweat... you get the same result more or less :)

Yep!! ;)

*Kol* wrote: »
    If you do that the people you refer to have won. It's a bit of a cutting off your nose to spite your face situation.

Would tend to agree here! :)

Perhaps someone should contact the admins and ask for the forum to be changed to the "Car Cleaning & Detailing" forum, because, as it is, a lot of people wouldnt know what detailing is, and we have random posts appearing in the forum too!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Perhaps someone should contact the admins and ask for the forum to be changed to the "Car Cleaning & Detailing" forum, because, as it is, a lot of people wouldnt know what detailing is, and we have random posts appearing in the forum too!

That's a good idea and should cater for more people.

I do like to have my car looking well but with life and kids I can't always spend the time "Detailing" but more a maintenance wash, albeit with safe methods.

I've learnt a lot from posters here and it wind be a shame to ailinate people if they are not into the full detailing side of things.

I think there's enough room for all of us here anyway, the end aim is the same, get our motors looking well, how far we take that in terms of time/product should be catered for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Another vote for that change, and maybe a big sticky about Cleaning Vs Detailing, followed up with others called "Cleaning 101" and "Detailing 101". A third could be a " How do I clean this?", aimed at total novices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Put yer handbags away ladies!

This a detailing forum not valeting which is probably what a load of us do or are somewhere in between Detailing and Valeting. If Detailing means to strive for perfection, then its probably what we all strive for and some of us obviously are very good at it and some of us aren't i.e. dont have the time to commit to it etc but try our best with the time and resources we do have.

If some of the experienced lads like MM, Curran, Vectra etc offer you advice, take it and act on it or ignore or dont bother posting, they wont lose sleep over it. I've learnt a hell of a lot from the guys on here and they are giving you advice on what products they have tried to get the best results etc. If they say - dont use brand x because it isnt worth it and will ruin your bodywork, then they are normally telling the truth. If you are happy with the results, keep using it; don't attack them because they're using superior products.

I actually think changing the title of the forum will be detrimental to the likes of such posters that have made this forum a wealth of information, for the likes of us amateurs, and will become messy with photo's and silly threads.

Mc Love wrote: »
    .... for the likes of us amateurs, and will become messy with photo's and silly threads.

Every person has to start somewhere! And if they were to become frequent posters here, they will pick up tips and tricks, etc, and develop their skills. Its all about informing people of where they are going wrong, and its then that they might realise, swirls, etc, are avoidable.....or might even look closer at their paintwork to notice them.

I also think that the comments about the value of his car etc in this thread is not acceptable.

Comments I made regarding car was a tongue in cheek and more towards Vectra, there was no other intention and I thought the smiley faces made it clear but you obviously have not taken time to understand this.

edburg wrote: »
    Comments I made regarding car was a tongue in cheek and more towards Vectra, there was no other intention and I thought the smiley faces made it clear but you obviously have not taken time to understand this.

I think he is referring to the comments by Vectra not you. Yours were obviously in jest.

I washed the car this morning. Snow foam a bit of a brushing and a rinse. 15 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Just to share my experience of a bit of learning from this forum,

The 1st wash of my new car was after it had 500 miles on the clock. I washed it using 1 bucket and a sponge, didn't dry the car. The second wash was by €5 car wash guys and they dried it with the blade. Third wash was again with 1 bucket, sponge and this time I dried with an old t-shirt :). Whatever tiny amount of swirl marks I have on the car are from those three washes (i think).

I will always be thankful to Curran and Vectra for criticizing my method and pointing me in right direction i.e. 2BM, ph neutral shampoo, mitt, Dry Me Crazy Towel, Collinte 845 etc. The last time I spend some time (1 hour) in "detailing" was in July when I applied a coat of Fusso. Since July, I been washing in the underground car park and the method I used is the same as OP except that spray pump. As Vectra said, washing becomes so much easier when the paint have some protection on. I am with Vectra what he has said and I'm also with TFB for my routine washes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

a topaz roller wash for €5 Blasphemy in the Detailing World.

I can sort of see both sides of what people are saying. Yes, if people can't for very little effort dramatically improve the safety of their wash technique then happy days. But, on the other hand the bashing that TFB recently got in the today I did some detailing (I think the thread was) is too far the other way.

I also think that the comments about the value of his car etc in this thread is not acceptable. I think it's the value of the car to the owner that makes it worth a full detail or not as well as the environment it is used in. I'm not sure if you remember my Toyota Levin, I had it fully detailed at one stage and was worth taking the care to preserve IMO even though it wasn't worth more than TFBs Celica.

I know this is pointed directly at me.
    Show me where I insulted anybody about the value of their car?

I know this is pointed directly at me.
    Show me where I insulted anybody about the value of their car?

Probably referring to your first post in this thread. Nobody likes the condition/value of their car being mentioned if it's their pride and joy. I would see it as being a bit insensitive at most.

Great job.
    On a car of that condition and value.
    But to be fair, It is not a method I would advice and a new ( er ) car or a car with a decent value.

Let me be more specific then

Condition - That car is in good condition mechanically & astethically

My point was it could be in much better condition Had it had a bit more attention when prepping and maintaining the paintwork.

Value -

Every persons car is their pride and joy, ( well most anyhow)be it at a lower cost scale or at the top level of cost.
    Again my point was that I would not use this method on a new ( er ) car.

No insult was intended.

Credit where credit is due.
    But that is more of a valet than a detail.
    Good job though as it came out clean.
    Personally for the price of products I would recommend Soft99 Fusso x 2 coats.

As for my comment about the value of the car. Well to be fair what is the value of it?
    I simply could not use those products on a car worth a substantial amount of money.

I can assure you if you spent an extra hour or 2 on that car and clayed it, Then applied 2 coats of Fusso ( you can do the wheels as well with it. )
    You would have a much easier job washing it in future.

My point is in bold above
    Read it incorrectly if you wish.
    *Kol* wrote: »
    Probably referring to your first post in this thread. Nobody likes the condition/value of their car being mentioned if it's their pride and joy. I would see it as being a bit insensitive at most.

Absolutely 100% Correct.
    This is exactly why I spent hundreds of hours on my sons cars with him to ensure they were looked after as good as humanly possible.
    His first car cost €2,450
    Second car was €2,850
    Third car was €2,800

All of those car arrived in shocking condition through bad ( very bad ) was routines.

As I said above,
    Spen the time look after them
    seal them properly
    and they will be very very easy to to the "Occasional maintanence wash"

And just to round things off a little.

I may come across as abrupt, Insulting ??
    But with me it is a case of "Like me or not"
    I will offer my advice to those that appreciate it.
    if any of you do not a[ppreciate it then read a different post,
    I won't lose any sleep if you like me or not. :)

His first car arrived looking like this

252891_227978107229343_5621631_n.jpg?oh=b9b6e144dc98340ddd13d450b93468ac&oe=56F19859

Nice dull faded bonnet

250673_227978143896006_5844312_n.jpg?oh=6c2222953ba501d698c88d777bed7d99&oe=56F5DAF0

Much improved

251210_227980197229134_1795384_n.jpg?oh=82d1e26ed4d3b43e6cf0cb2931a58f88&oe=56EAD709

Next up

Arrived like this
    298391_295572460469907_896841781_n.jpg?oh=0899f66a28483f218025830b5c99d8fd&oe=56EAF62E

That paint might look ok there but trust me. it gave the appearance of something washed with a wire brush.

Ended with this

537859_587541714606312_354650181_n.jpg?oh=3e19d72806747f75875c68ce48da423c&oe=56DF60DF

Much inproved you think?
    I can assure it was much much easier to keep clean.

And then this

486817_608037862556697_229106173_n.jpg?oh=df6922da404ff5a5d22788d68667d43a&oe=56E992BA

To This

1012206_697298693630613_1071172110_n.jpg?oh=9277cc461b9a2fec3004550584bfb67f&oe=56EECE85

So I will refer to my first comment.
    If you'r car is cheap then it is you'r own choice as to how you want to treat it.
    Me.
    I strive for as good as possible. As such I will continue to offer any advice or experience in methods or products invovled in DETAILING a car.

Those that wish to make use of it are very welcome to any help I can offer.
    Those who wish to flame me.!
    Then they can please themselves on how to "Scrub" their cars.

this is definitely more "cleaning" than "detailing"
    I strive for as good as possible. As such I will continue to offer any advice or experience in methods or products invovled in DETAILING a car.

This thread was never to be about detailing, all you had to read was the first line of the OP to know that.

This thread was meant to be about lads cleaning their cars. Lads who don't want or need advice, lads who are just happy to have her presentable and want to show it off and maybe pick up a handy tip but have no interest in "going pro".

Just as you will continue to post on about long expensive details (which i'm sure you and others enjoy) I will (and hopefully others will come out of the woodwork) continue posting my quick and dirty wash and valet stories. People will love it or hate it, it's the internet after all. Some fellas might enjoy the read :)

This thread was never to be about detailing, all you had to read was the first line of the OP to know that.

Yawn....Yawn and more Yawn..
    This forum is about detailing.

All you had to do was read was the heading to know that.

There's no need to be rude.

I'm not the first person to post valeting or quick and dirty wash pics in here. Maybe ther first to admit it though.

Anyway, look, if the thread is breaking your heart maybe you should stop looking at it. It's been derailed pretty badly already. If you think the thread isn't befitting of the forum, report it and have it moved. Mods havn't touched it yet so it mustn't be a million miles from it's natural home.

There's no need to be rude.

I'm not the first person to post valeting or quick and dirty wash pics in here. Maybe ther first to admit it though.

Anyway, look, if the thread is breaking your heart maybe you should stop looking at it. It's been derailed pretty badly already. If you think the thread isn't befitting of the forum, report it and have it moved. Mods havn't touched it yet so it mustn't be a million miles from it's natural home.

Wrong again.
    I was not the one to derail it.
    I simply offered advice. Isn't that exactly what this forum is all about?
    Maybe it is others you should be having a dig at.

I'm not saying what you did or didn't, nor am I throwing digs at anyone, I wouldn't be into fighting on the internet.

I didn't really ask for advice. My aim was to generate a positive discussion around cheaper products and quicker, riskier methods for those who dont have the time or aren't interested in large scale detailing.

We're going in circles again now though, so i'l leave it at that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement