Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick and dirty car wash thread!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Curran wrote: »
    Exactly what I thought when I seen the post!! ;)

I have to say that is the attitude that I got when reading your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Mc Love wrote: »
    I have to say that is the attitude that I got when reading your post.

That I was trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

lambasted by the Tupperware crew...

10 hail mary's for that one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

What's the point of this thread then? To share experiences and advice no?

Or to brag about doing a poor job and damaging your car :confused:

Well my point is, there is no reason a professional detailer to come in and say.. "You should use this top off the range polisher or that polish, because well it's good because it very expensive. So it works"

"Poor job???" My car is washed and has a shine. The whole point of this thread it to prove that it's possible to get great results, from inexpensive method/products... Did you read the OP?

"Damaging your car" please point out the damaged caused on the pics of my car or ToyotaFanBoi car? That's a outrageous claim to make... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

job seeker wrote: »
    Well my point is, there is no reason a professional detailer to come in and say.. "You should use this top off the range polisher or that polish, because well it's good because it very expensive. So it works"

"Poor job???" My car is washed and has a shine. The whole point of this thread it to prove that it's possible to get great results, from inexpensive method/products... Did you read the OP?

"Damaging your car" please point out the damaged caused on the pics of my car or ToyotaFanBoi car? That's a outrageous claim to make... :rolleyes:

That is either one of the 2 following :

1)
    You simply do not want to believe there is a right way and a wrong way to look after your car's paintwork.

2)

You are misguided and believe the wrong advice.

A wash mitt is not an expensive item and will look after your paintwork much better than a sponge.
    I too was like you. I honestly thought a sponge was perfect for the job.

Please quote where the professional detailer you speak of, has posted something saying that something expensive should be used.

vectra wrote: »
    That is either one of the 2 following :

1)
    You simply do not want to believe there is a right way and a wrong way to look after your car's paintwork.

2)

You are misguided and believe the wrong advice.

A wash mitt is not an expensive item and will look after your paintwork much better than a sponge.
    I too was like you. I honestly thought a sponge was perfect for the job.

That's fair enough, but I really don't see why someone would have to "De-Ironise" the paint work.. :D Sounds abit extreme to me. Detailing is great by all means, but only if you have the time/money for it..
    Curran wrote: »
    Please quote where the professional detailer you speak of, has posted something saying that something expensive should be used.

just speaking in general terms... But I created a thread a while back, it's all big named products used.
    found the Farcela, AutoGlym and Meguiars products that Halfords stock do the job perfectly!
    Polish paintwork:

Halfords site down – but getAutoglym super resin polish”
    Seal paintwork (same as wax – protective layer):

Halfords site down – but getAutoglym extra gloss protection

For better protection apply 1 layer and wait an hour then apply a second layer

It's all in the Thread <----Here

EDIT: So why would you have to get "Autoglym extra gloss protection" when windowlene or vinegar even can be used to do the exact same job for the fraction of the price????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

That's fair enough, but I really don't see why someone would have to "De-Ironise" the paint work.. :D Sounds abit extreme to me. Detailing is great by all means, but only if you have the time/money for it..

just speaking in general terms... But I created a thread a while back, it's all big named products used.

EDIT: So why would you have to get "Autoglym extra gloss protection" when windowlene or vinegar even can be used to do the exact same job for the fraction of the price????

The de-ironiser your refer to (iron x, pueple rain etcetc) would remove bonded crap that is tiny and not seen by the eye, this stuff would be like brake dust, small bits of worn disc, rust etc etc that gets stuck to cars paint work and causes long term damage to paint to point may even cause the start of rust if left for ever.

Your fairy liquids, snow foams and car shampoo's would not be able to remove such items.

As I participated in that thread your referring to the gear and suggestions I have referred to are only items that are easily got hold of via halfords/motor factors. They were not mentioned just because they big name/expensive and must be good theory. P.S if you think they are big name/expensive you have never dug into the detail world that much, there is products out there that will cost thousands just for a small tin, wax that put you back 10-15k.

As for your Edit bit your autoglym bit is a Sealant/a protectant/ a layer what ever way you want to say it. It's design is for it protect and help preserve the shine/cleanliness of a cars paintwork.

Where as your windowlene/vinegar would be cleaning agent (loose terms anyway) on glass I dont for see an issue with windolene but as for paint work there is a chance that a product like these can cause significant damage to clear coats on cars.

First off.
    It is not absolutely essential to de-ironize the paint.
    Though I say that reluctantly.
    What I mean is,
    Wash >> Mitt / Shampoo are cheap
    Clay >>> Cheap
    Rinse, >>> Water is cheap
    Dry, >>Towel is cheap
    Coat with something Collinite or Fusso >> Dirst cheap.

How is that expensive?

Why would you use Windowlene or vinegar over EGP ??:confused:

EGP? Ah well that shows how much I know about detailing... :D What I was referring to is using say windowlene or vinegar as apposed to Autoglym window polish, or what would I be missing out on by not using the Autoglym product to clean my windows?

The bottom line is that I have neither the time or funds to get into detailing as big as other members here. So this standard of cleaning ( or whatever you want to call it) will do me just fine. :)

• Advertisement

EGP? Ah well that shows how much I know about detailing... :D What I was referring to is using say windowlene or vinegar as apposed to Autoglym window polish, or what would I be missing out on by not using the Autoglym product to clean my windows?

The bottom line is that I have neither the time or funds to get into detailing as big as other members here. So this standard of cleaning ( or whatever you want to call it) will do me just fine. :)

You see this is the thing.
    You really do not nee dto pump loads of money into it to have your car looking great while giving it very good protection at the same time.

Secondly, The better the protection the lesss time and effort you will have to input to keep it that way.

As for the window cleaning?
    On a budget it would be hard to beat Mr. Muscle window cleaner.
    This is also excellent at cleaninb your interior plastics ( Dash~ Door panels etc )

mr-muscle-glass-cleaner-242-p.jpg

job seeker wrote:

So, lets take that thread for an example....and as you say
    job seeker wrote:
    'professional detailer to come in and say.. "You should use this top off the range polisher or that polish, because well it's good because it very expensive. So it works"

if you mean, me as the 'professional detailer'??
    - gave advice on why sometimes the more expensive products are beneficial
    - gave advice on the full detailing process
    - nowhere did I mention a single product

So
    - you take the advice; some, all or none of it
    - you decide on what quality of products you choose to buy

At no point did I say you must buy, X, Y, or Z, or you are doing it wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I think this thread should be moved to the main motors forum as it has little or nothing to do with Detailing or the detailing forum. People post/read this forum on how to get the best look for their car, some of us maybe don't have much time as some lads but we still take the advice they give on wash technique/products etc and even impart our own experiences of products.
    If you can find something that is cheaper and still gives the same if not better finish than that of some of the more expensive products, it will be tried out and posters will give their feedback.

Advertisement