Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car issues

Options
  • 06-11-2015 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

hey, i bought a second hand car last may and got a 6 month warranty.
    the warranty was verbal agreement.
    In the last 6 months the car has had to be towed 5 times back to the dealer with fuel injector problems. Tonight was the sixth time the car has gone into limp mode and had to be towed back to dealer.

As you can imagine I do not want this car anymore. I have been patient and in fairness the dealer has been pretty good too. he has done work on the car but for some reason the issue remains.

what are my options here.
    Can I have my money back.
    Can i have a replacement car to the same value.
    Can i ask for an independent mechanic to do work on the car.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You have the same statutory rights when you buy a used car as you do when you buy any other consumer item regardless of the warranty (written or verbal). As the seller has failed to repair the problem despite multiple attempts then you have grounds to seek any of those options.

Negotiating should be your first step as it's usually much better all round if you can agree a resolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

slimjimmc wrote: »
    You have the same statutory rights when you buy a used car as you do when you buy any other consumer item regardless of the warranty (written or verbal). As the seller has failed to repair the problem despite multiple attempts then you have grounds to seek any of those options.

Negotiating should be your first step as it's usually much better all round if you can agree a resolution.

thanks for the reply.
    i came to a verbal agreement on saturday.
    he will try and fix the issue again, i will get an extra 3 month warranty and if the issue occurs again we will discuss replacement car or refund.

he seems ok, but should i get this in writing or is verbal ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

thanks for the reply.
    i came to a verbal agreement on saturday.
    he will try and fix the issue again, i will get an extra 3 month warranty and if the issue occurs again we will discuss replacement car or refund.

he seems ok, but should i get this in writing or is verbal ok.

You should always try to get it in writing, verbal you have no comeback is he decides not to honour it.

Include the dates as when he will fix it and 3 months from that date not from today.

Advertisement