Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning wedding rings to jewellers

Options
  • 06-11-2015 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello I was recently about to be married but a long story short it did not work out, Before his I bought a his and hers wedding ring in a jewellers in Cork during the summer. When I tryed to return the rings I was treated awfully by a member of staff, you swear I had robbed the rings by the way she looked at me, I explained my story and had the rings in the bag I got them in and the receipt with them, the rings where still in the boxes and where on touched as It was only two months ago I purchased them. I was not giving a sorry our even an explanation of why the could not take the back or even offered store credit. I understand most stores have there own policies but this was ridiculous, the woman on that day just kept shaking her head at me and not saying a word and I was left standing there like an idiot and all I could do was leave, after hearing loads about how great the store was and how friendly the staff where, I felt wronged by this and I was holding nearly a 1000 euro worth of Jewellery which I was now stuck with. Have I got any rights here? I am at a dead end and any help would be great:) I have never purchased something so expensive and straight away they are worthless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You have zero rights to return an item just based on not wanting it anymore. If the store has an advertised return policy that applies, that should apply, but you have no statutory rights.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The store arent doing anything wrong. A refund (or store credit) for a situation like yours is something that is at their discretion. They dont have to do anything.

It is unusual that they wouldn't take a more sympathetic stance given the circumstances though. Were the rings a special order or personalised in any way? You could always try to speak to management and see if they will do any deal, like store credit minus a restocking charge. Your only other option is a private sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lucy8rory

Thanks so much for the advice guys

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would try emailing them. Maybe the woman was only new or had little authority and was worried about promising anything on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

If the rings were engraved or personalised in any way then you can understand that those rings are no good to the jeweller or to anyone else
    If not I agree it would be worth contacting the boss an appealing to him but , no, you don't have any entitlement to even store credit.
    I'm sorry things didn't work out for you this time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Sorry to hear your story hope you are doing OK.

Sounds like that lady was bad at customer service, all she had to do was explain she couldn't take them back and say sorry about that.

Unfortunately they don't have to accept them back or give a refund in this circumstance as there is nothing wrong with the rings you have just "changed your mind" about the purchase (albeit with a very sad personal reason).

Agree with other poster would you try ringing or emailing the manager? They may offer to buy them back at 50% what you paid.

Look after yourself at this time op.

Advertisement