Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

How are biking gloves so dear...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

There are decent biking gloves in that price range so not sure what you mean?

Sure buy a pair and try them. You may find they are not as good for controlling the bike as a pair of 150€ alpinestars, dainese etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Because idiots will pay any amount if it has a big name on it.......:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Simona1986 wrote: »
    ... compared to these bad boys:
    http://www.schmitzmittz.com/products/oil-gas-safety

Check out some of the videos.:eek:

I've bought cheaper, and dearer, you must be looking in the wrong shops if you think all bike gloves are more expensive.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Theyre not that cheap, and they look bulky as feck. Youd easily get an equivalent bike glove the same or cheaper. The difference with high end bike gloves is fit (shaped hands) goretex waterproofing (breathable), well designed armour (scaphoid protection for example) and lack of bulk (using high tech liners to hold heat without thick insulation). The better gloves also have the linings bonded so they dont pull out of the glove as you take them off.

Theres a lot more too it than looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I find richa good quality and can be bought for 40/50 Euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Depends what way you look at it, some people will pay €130 for a pair of runners with an "AIR BUBBLE" that does **** all. I dont mind paying for gloves with Kangaroo leather (alot stronger) and Kevlar pads (speaks for itself) with re-enforced gauntlets and scapoid protection.

I might be one of them idiots that pays too much but I am a well protected idiot!!!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

corkgsxr wrote: »
    I find richa good quality and can be bought for 40/50 Euro

Speaking of Richa Gloves, bought a pair from cotters for €75, have them about a year and just discovered a hole in the bastid things yesterday....:mad:

Even the Aldi ones lasted longer.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

I might be one of them idiots that pays too much but I am a well protected idiot!!!

;)

Are you Rossi.....??......you know...the guy who didnt win in Valencia...:D

Are you Rossi.....??......you know...the guy who didnt win in Valencia...:D

Rossi wouldn't catch me either!!!!

Rossi wouldn't catch me either!!!!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

What's dear exactly? There's decent gloves around for very little up to very much lol.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    What's dear exactly? There's decent gloves around for very little up to very much lol.

I bought a pair of quality skiing gloves in TKMAXX last year..theyre sooo warm,cordura, have leather on the palms and knuckles..cost €25....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It's like anything else, there's a product for every wallet. And cost doesn't always equal quality. I have a very good pair of gloves that cost about the same as those in the link.

A quick look on Amazon has brought up similar gloves from £20 to nearly £200, I'm sure there are differences in stitching etc but you can certainly live within a limited budget, unless you're a GP rider who regularly slides down the road at 160khmh+ you're unlikely to need kevlar as plastic will be up to the job (once anyway).

A quick look on Amazon has brought up similar gloves from £20 to nearly £200, I'm sure there are differences in stitching etc but you can certainly live within a limited budget, unless you're a GP rider who regularly slides down the road at 160khmh+ you're unlikely to need kevlar as plastic will be up to the job (once anyway).

Same can be said for nearly everything you wear, why buy a Knox back protector when you get one free in nearly all leathers and textiles???

Could even go as far as tyres, Why buy PR4 tyres when most of us would never even exceed the grip on tyres half the price!

All I know is that the gear I wear makes me feel extremely safe and protected when I ride, and there is no substitute for that IMHO.

Each to their own I have no probs with anyone wearing mittens and a pot on the head TBH.

Same can be said for nearly everything you wear, why buy a Knox back protector when you get one free in nearly all leathers and textiles???

Could even go as far as tyres, Why buy PR4 tyres when most of us would never even exceed the grip on tyres half the price!

All I know is that the gear I wear makes me feel extremely safe and protected when I ride, and there is no substitute for that IMHO.

Each to their own I have no probs with anyone wearing mittens and a pot on the head TBH.

All good but OP was questioning why gloves are so expensive etc etc, they're not .

Sure why ride a bike under a false sense of protection when you could feel properly protected in a truck? Anyhoo, each to their own n all that.

All good but OP was questioning why gloves are so expensive etc etc, they're not .

Sure why ride a bike under a false sense of protection when you could feel properly protected in a truck? Anyhoo, each to their own n all that.

Thats just it mate, its not a "FALSE" sense of protection. Its a state of protection higher then the normal run of the mill stuff and if I do have an off I want as much in my favour as I can get!

Having said all that, even the good gloves could be priced lower....it is alot of bucks.

Having said all that, even the good gloves could be priced lower....it is alot of bucks.

Always loved the Alpinestars kit, they were first proper boots I bought, complete in mad shell suit colours, feckers just fell apart over 4-5 years of light enough use, the logo at the side gave and peeled away, not knocking them but I have a pair of Richas (costing literally half the price) I got after that and they're still going strong. :confused: Price is no guarantee of quality.

It is false though, I've had all sorts from high end to Aldi and tbh unless you're really pushing on there's not going to be much between them (helmets possibly included though I'll err on the side of caution and quality there).

That said, a good set of sticky tyres (like you mentioned) is better than most protective gear you can buy, nothing will make you need protection more than duff tyres believe me.

Mate of mine just paid over €500 for a new lid, didnt need to as he has at least 10 lids, but because its Rossi's latest design...same with all his leather suits, gloves and boots..he just buys them to "wow " the audience....now thats an idiot...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thats just it mate, its not a "FALSE" sense of protection. Its a state of protection higher then the normal run of the mill stuff and if I do have an off I want as much in my favour as I can get!

Just like Joey won all the races because he knew he was on the best bike because he had prepared it himself, the mind can do some great things.

• Advertisement

I've said that oo's of times when guys have a go at me when i wear the jeans and Doc's on the bike...its because "I" feel safe....ATGATT if thats for you, grand..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to bike gear.

My jacket is at least 25 years old, my pants are Aldi pants held together with duct tape (no kidding). My gloves are a few years old and also from Aldi and an old KBG open face helmet (but its a Captain America design so I'll keep it).

Oh, and my boots are hiking boots with a hole in the left boot from the gear selector!.

I'm a fooking brilliant rider, so I feel safe :p

Del2005 wrote: »
    Just like Joey won all the races because he knew he was on the best bike because he had prepared it himself, the mind can do some great things.

Different times back then, name me one road racer that skimps now on protection!!!!

Anyway getting off topic now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Different times back then, name me one road racer that skimps now on protection!!!!

Still happens, you're around road racing long enough to have seen bikes, leathers & helmets which leave people amazed they got through scrutineering.

Different times back then, name me one road racer that skimps now on protection!!!!.

Dissagree a bit there matey..walls and hay bails are still the same as back in those days, only difference is 100mph is now 160kph.....but these days you can get well kitted out in far superior gear for very little money, back then bike gloves were basically driving gloves or yer da's old ones he didnt want..i remember my first pair were plastic...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Depends what way you look at it, some people will pay €130 for a pair of runners with an "AIR BUBBLE" that does **** all. I dont mind paying for gloves with Kangaroo leather (alot stronger) and Kevlar pads (speaks for itself) with re-enforced gauntlets and scapoid protection.

;)

Knox, well worth the cash, thin and strong. I love the ratchedy thing to tighten them. Mine are getting a bit stiff, do you lubricate/clean yours?

Knox, well worth the cash, thin and strong. I love the ratchedy thing to tighten them. Mine are getting a bit stiff, do you lubricate/clean yours?

I use Leather Lube that I got in a sports shop for my gloves and boots. It softens the leather and makes it waterproof at the same time. You could also use chelsea dubbin but the leather lube is only a fiver and lasts years. I found when I did the palms and fingers the leather went lovely and supple.

Advertisement