Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antivirus software options

Options
  • 06-11-2015 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I have been using McAfee Internet Security suite for many years but this year there is a 530% increase on last year's subscription and I am considering other options. Additionally, I have found that McAfee tends to slow down certain processes while downloading updates etc. etc., but possibly this is true of all antivirus programs?

I am seriously considering one of the free antivirus options available online, such as AVG or Avast.

Would welcome any suggestions or recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I use Malwarebytes free version, and do a scan every few weeks.

No need in an antivirus if you don't do stupid crap online tbh, becoming educated about going online (not saying you need it, but in general) is the best way to prevent malware infecting your system

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RIFK590

I Find AVG & Malwarebytes the best option for me as they are both free and very good

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Free Avast and a weekly run of free Malwarebytes.
    Never had a problem.

Prepare for some fun when removing McAfee from your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

I use Malwarebytes free version, and do a scan every few weeks.

No need in an antivirus if you don't do stupid crap online tbh, becoming educated about going online (not saying you need it, but in general) is the best way to prevent malware infecting your system

Thanks for that. I do run a Malwarebytes scan every few weeks at present. I consider myself to be extremely careful online but have always felt more secure, possibly unfounded, by the addition of an antivirus program.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Microsoft security essentials, free and it works away quietly in the background.

• Advertisement

practice wrote: »
    Free Avast and a weekly run of free Malwarebytes.
    Never had a problem.

Prepare for some fun when removing McAfee from your system.

Thanks for that. Can you please advise the best site from which to download Free Avast?

Apparently, from your post, it appears that there may be issues in removing McAfee, can you please advise? Have you experienced issues? Thanks.

delly wrote: »
    Microsoft security essentials, free and it works away quietly in the background.

Thanks for that delly.

Are MS security essentials incorporated in Windows or is it a separate download?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I use Microsoft MSE. As its lighter on old machines. But its not recommended as its not as good as others like Avast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,576 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Avast free (talk like a pirate mode) and malwarebytes (lifetime licence).
    Have avg instead of Avast on another machine but will be swapping it for Avast later today. Avg seems to be updating forever.

beauf wrote: »
    I use Microsoft MSE. As its lighter on old machines. But its not recommended as its not as good as others like Avast.

Thanks for that beauf - is MSE already incorporated in Windows 7 and 8 or is it a program that can be downloaded separately? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Maidhci wrote: »
    Thanks for that beauf - is MSE already incorporated in Windows 7 and 8 or is it a program that can be downloaded separately? Thanks.

You have to get it from Microsoft for free. They couldn't bundle it with Windows for competition reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Avast free (talk like a pirate mode) and malwarebytes (lifetime licence).
    Have avg instead of Avast on another machine but will be swapping it for Avast later today. Avg seems to be updating forever.

IMO AVG is turning into a virus....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/21/avg_freemium_browsing_history_slurp/

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Thanks for that. Can you please advise the best site from which to download Free Avast?

Apparently, from your post, it appears that there may be issues in removing McAfee, can you please advise? Have you experienced issues? Thanks.

Avast free
    www.avast.com/index

You should download the McAffe removal tool from their sit.
    Lots of info on google about removal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

MSE is a separate standalone download for XP and Windows 7 but they changed it from MSE to Windows Defender and that is built into Windows 8 and 10 so for those OS's there is no MSE.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Hi there

As the rest have said malware bytes and eset nod and stay away from any paid antiviris software you dont need it unless your a business,it just slows up pc and free ones do a better job in my opinion.

Advertisement