Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness Industry/Visa

Options
  • 07-11-2015 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey, Hope ye can help me out.

Currently working as a Personal Trainer and am looking to head to the States to work in this area. I cannot get the J1 graduate visa as I graduated in 2012. Just curious as to my other options on obtaining a Visa for 12months. Majority of my friends are sponsored in companies in New York. Is there any way of getting a Visa for a certain amount of time or do you have to have a sponsorship lined up? Being scrolling through the embassy website but curious if any one has gone through the process of getting a visa without sponsorship.

Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You can't get a visa without being sponsored. Other than the Green Card, there is no stand alone work visa, that is not linked to a job.

There are B category visas for foreign born sports coaches and trainers to live & work in the US long term, if they are working with/for US based athletes/teams. But you'd have to be at a pretty high level of your specific sport to qualify for one. You also have to have a training accreditation with the governing body of your specific sport, or the Olympic Council of your home country to qualify for such a visa. Being a personal trainer on its own, wouldn't be enough to qualify for it.

There are some GAA clubs in the States, who sponsor Irish GAA coaches for short term visas to do coaching in their club. But again, that is specific to an individual sport & there is not a ready supply of US born coaches able to do the job. Just being a personal trainer wouldn't be enough to get one. There are plenty of personal trainers in the US, no offense intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It took my friend almost 2 years to get sponsored and her visa granted to work in a boxing gym. Her visa is a 5 year visa IIRC. She had been out on a J1 with a different company and came across this crowd while there and she made it happen for herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Unless you know of someone that can help its a waste of time looking.

I myself have a contact with team gb ice hockey head coach who has a friend in usa hockey. He is trying to help me go over so I can get more experience in hockey coaching.

hoping for a good email to come back

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ck1987

Cheers, appreciate the feedback from all. :)

Advertisement