Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of Car Parking in North Docklands

Options
  • 07-11-2015 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

Anyone else noticed the lack of secure car parking in the North Docklands and around the 3 Arena in particular.

Whilst the underground car park at the Point Village is top class it is very often full to capacity.

Surely with the number of vacant sites in the area it would be a good business opportunity to build a new multi-storey car park.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

subpar wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed the lack of secure car parking in the North Docklands and around the 3 Arena in particular.

Whilst the underground car park at the Point Village is top class it is very often full to capacity.

Surely with the number of vacant sites in the area it would be a good business opportunity to build a new multi-storey car park.

I disagree. That part of the city is super car unfriendly. Why wouldnt it be? The people living that close to town dont need cars. Everyone in an office there wouldnt really want to deal with the quays in the morning. Plus the traffic from a concert is insane.

There is no real shopping or restaurants to attract people either. Look at Phisboro. There is very little parking in the entire area. But it works as most people are so close to town that they dont own cars(like the point area). There isnt really a whole load of Businesses for the large population.

There isnt a car park in the point, as there is no real need for it. Dublin City is getting more car unfriendly by the year. Its just easier to use public transport or shop/eat in the suburbs

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

newacc2015 wrote: »
    I disagree. That part of the city is super car unfriendly. Why wouldnt it be? The people living that close to town dont need cars. Everyone in an office there wouldnt really want to deal with the quays in the morning. Plus the traffic from a concert is insane.

There is no real shopping or restaurants to attract people either. Look at Phisboro. There is very little parking in the entire area. But it works as most people are so close to town that they dont own cars(like the point area). There isnt really a whole load of Businesses for the large population.

There isnt a car park in the point, as there is no real need for it. Dublin City is getting more car unfriendly by the year. Its just easier to use public transport or shop/eat in the suburbs
    Also, when people leave the car ferry and the industrial parks near there it's busy enough without encouraging more cars to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Its policy now to reduce the amount of parking in Central Dublin, increasing parking would only encourage more car use. DCC would want to start removing the parking along the quays too. Using the riverfront as a car park is 70s oil fetishism.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There used to be a couple of illegal parking yards in the empty plots but they have all dried up now the the dock lands SDZ has been released and construction activity is increasing. The land owners all want their land back and clean (planning enforcement wise).

And as above, you'll find that DCC will not approve any more car parks in the city centre unless it's part of an office, residential development in order to encourage sustainable commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,861 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've never seen the point village carpark full except possibly during a gig - which people can use public transport for like they did before it opened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

There are 5 car parks off the top of my head within a few minutes walk of the Point:
    • Point Village
    • Convention Centre
    • Spencer Hotel/NCI
    • Jury's Hotel
    • Connolly Station
    If you cross over the bridge you also have the carpark at the Bord Gais Energy Theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

There are 5 car parks off the top of my head within a few minutes walk of the Point:
    • Point Village
    • Convention Centre
    • Spencer Hotel/NCI
    • Jury's Hotel
    • Connolly Station
    If you cross over the bridge you also have the carpark at the Bord Gais Energy Theatre.

Yes , but they are all full at peak times and Connolly station car park is too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,861 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What peak times are you experiencing?

I work in the area and never experience that kind of congestion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Yes , but they are all full at peak times and Connolly station car park is too far away.

Could you not hop on the Luas after parking in Connolly?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

newacc2015 wrote: »

That's not true. Just because you live in town, it doesn't necessarily follow that you live your entire live in Dublin 1 & 2, or that you can get every where you need to go by public transport. I lived in the IFSC for two years. I definitely needed a car to do the weekly grocery shop, visit work clients, go visit family and friends in other parts of the city, or just go off for a weekend drive somewhere. The lack of parking was a pain. I had my own reserved space, but it was constantly being taken by others. Trying to arrange parking for family and friends who were visiting me (that didn't cost an arm & a leg) was a total pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Notice on the DCC website that Planning Permission has been granted on a temporary basis for a 50 vehicle Bus Park on CIE lands north of Spencer Dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Notice on the DCC website that Planning Permission has been granted on a temporary basis for a 50 vehicle Bus Park on CIE lands north of Spencer Dock.

Presume that's for the private bus operators to stop them clogging up Nassau Street and Mountjoy Square, been an NTA plan for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Presume that's for the private bus operators to stop them clogging up Nassau Street and Mountjoy Square, been an NTA plan for a while.

I'd be amazed if there were actually movement on it though. There's been so much circular talk of better pedestrianisation and BRT and what have you but no action.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cgcsb wrote: »
    I'd be amazed if there were actually movement on it though. There's been so much circular talk of better pedestrianisation and BRT and what have you but no action.

Loads of action taken. Buses removed from Mountjoy Square and moved down to the quays and cook street with dedicated bus parking bays and areas for passengers to get off.

Advertisement