Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling alone

Options
  • 07-11-2015 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭

I am going on a holiday to the US, it is not for a while, it will in August 2017, will take in the total solar eclipse, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and planning on adding some other stuff.
    The thing is since part of my holiday is an organised tour which takes in the above attractions, and I am travelling alone, I have to pay extra for being single.
    I was asked by the tour organiser if I would be open to a room mate. This would obviously save me many hundreds of euro/dollars.
    Has anyone done a tour on their own and shared with a room with a stranger, obviously as tour goes on the person no longer is a stranger, and is on the tour for the same reason and the same interests - astronomy, scenery, wildlife...
    The only problem I see is one doesn't know what type of person the other person is going to be. I am easy going and I don't snore, no one ever accused me of it anyway when I shared a room with friends.
    I am sure if I do go for this, the other person will be thinking the exact same things.
    What would you do if travelling alone?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I did a similar thing last year for the first time. I was sharing with another female of around my own age, most of the rest of the group were a little younger than us. It worked out fine. On a group holiday you really don't spend much time in your room aside from sleeping as every hour tends to be packed with things to do. If the worst comes to the worst, you can have a quiet word with the group leader and ask them to shuffle the room buddies when you move on to the next place if you don't get along with whoever you're paired up with. I'd recommend doing it for the social aspect as well as the financial saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I've done it on a similar holiday in the states and it was fine. Got on really well with my roommate who was 7 years younger than me.
    My friend did a similar tour this year and paid for the single supplement as did one other girl on the tour. There were 3 people travelling alone on the tour so the third girl got the single supplement for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

miamee wrote: »
    I did a similar thing last year for the first time. I was sharing with another female of around my own age, most of the rest of the group were a little younger than us. It worked out fine. On a group holiday you really don't spend much time in your room aside from sleeping as every hour tends to be packed with things to do. If the worst comes to the worst, you can have a quiet word with the group leader and ask them to shuffle the room buddies when you move on to the next place if you don't get along with whoever you're paired up with. I'd recommend doing it for the social aspect as well as the financial saving.
    This post has been deleted.
    cee_jay wrote: »
    I've done it on a similar holiday in the states and it was fine. Got on really well with my roommate who was 7 years younger than me.
    My friend did a similar tour this year and paid for the single supplement as did one other girl on the tour. There were 3 people travelling alone on the tour so the third girl got the single supplement for free.

Thanks to all of you. It all great to hear how other people fared and it seems to be a very positive experience.
    I was on the side of sharing (but wanted to hear some reassurances) as I plan on going for 2 weeks and this part of the holiday is 7 nights, and it will be the final week.
    I agree it would be socially as well as financially positive.

Advertisement