Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy unbranded phones

Options
  • 07-11-2015 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever bought phones which are not locked down to a particular network. And I don't mean phones which have been jailbroken or unlocked or whatever the term is.

Where would be a good place to start looking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Amazon. Direct from Google or Apple via their websites. Even carphone warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

wont be an iphone
    android most likely. just hat having vodafone or three etc sticking there stuff all over the phone
    what about expansys, are they ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Shop around. If you find a vendor you're not sure about, check back here.

Expansys and CW can both be pricey (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, your terminology is wrong. What you're talking about is buying a 'sim-free' phone. A lot of the network shops sell them though clearly they'd prefer you to buy one on a contract. If you study the models on offer in the Vodafone/3/Meteor shops and the indies like CW, some of them will be priced with no contract. I buy sim-free about every other year, usually from Amazon but you could also check www.expansys.ie who have a large range on offer.

Any phone that you buy sim-free from a UK seller will work no problem in Ireland.

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, your terminology is wrong. What you're talking about is buying a 'sim-free' phone. A lot of the network shops sell them though clearly they'd prefer you to buy one on a contract. If you study the models on offer in the Vodafone/3/Meteor shops and the indies like CW, some of them will be priced with no contract. I buy sim-free about every other year, usually from Amazon but you could also check www.expansys.ie who have a large range on offer.

Any phone that you buy sim-free from a UK seller will work no problem in Ireland.

cheers. "Sim free" it is so

If you buy sim free from Vodafone/Three etc. though would I be wrong in presuming it probably comes with all their crap on it? I want a factory handset which allows me to put on what I want, and not filled with a load of crap Apps, I can't delete and taking up space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Seve OB wrote: »
    cheers. "Sim free" it is so

If you buy sim free from Vodafone/Three etc. though would I be wrong in presuming it probably comes with all their crap on it? I want a factory handset which allows me to put on what I want, and not filled with a load of crap Apps, I can't delete and taking up space.

All their stock will be sim locked and usually customized firmware.

Amazon.de is your best bet 9 times in 10.

ED E wrote: »
    All their stock will be sim locked and usually customized firmware.

that's what I thought.
    ED E wrote: »
    Amazon.de is your best bet 9 times in 10.

why .de ??

I'm about to pull the trigger tomorrow on a few phones from www.fonez.ie
    so would appreciate if anyone has ever done any dealings with them to see if they are ok. coming from Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

I know for a fact vodafone comes with the usual crap bloat .

I'm in the market for a new phone and was looking at m9 in cpw to buy out right it's got vodafone splash screen and about 4/5 vodafone apps . plus you must spend at least €120 on credit before they unlock the phone .

IMO buying a phone out right should be sim free and brand free ! .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I know for a fact vodafone comes with the usual crap bloat .

I'm in the market for a new phone and was looking at m9 in cpw to buy out right it's got vodafone splash screen and about 4/5 vodafone apps . plus you must spend at least €120 on credit before they unlock the phone .

IMO buying a phone out right should be sim free and brand free ! .

And this is why I buy from Google Directly... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Just to point out that buying a network locked phone is usually a good bit cheaper than sim free and there are many sellers of unlock codes on E Bay as cheap as a couple of euro depending on the phone type

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭normakelle

If I buy a samsung galaxy core prime from carphone warehouse will it be locked to the network? I want it for my nephew who is on the tesco mobile network and tesco do not stock it.

I'm buying a HTC m9 from fonez.ie 579 no brand crap and sim free . 629 in meteor and cpw.

NATLOR wrote: »
    Just to point out that buying a network locked phone is usually a good bit cheaper than sim free and there are many sellers of unlock codes on E Bay as cheap as a couple of euro depending on the phone type

yes, but the point is you are stuck with the network user interface with all their crap startup screens and apps.

if I buy a htc/Samsung/whatever, sim free, i don't expect the network to be able to control the apps etc on my phone

I'm buying a HTC m9 from fonez.ie 579 no brand crap and sim free . 629 in meteor and cpw.

ok, so I also ordered from them today. An M9 & An S6 Edge. Neither for me. I'm waiting till the M10 comes out! :D

I actually got a call from Fonez this afternoon after I ordered saying they didn't have the colour in stock and something about a few covers I ordered. As non of them are for me, I kinda said whatever! I'll get them on Monday and will update.

why .de ??

Germans don't do network locking for the most part, its a 90% sim free market. The ones that arent will say. Euro prices, same phones, sim free, same great customer service and now in english. No brainer for me.

ok, so I also ordered from them today. An M9 & An S6 Edge. Neither for me. I'm waiting till the M10 comes out! :D

I actually got a call from Fonez this afternoon after I ordered saying they didn't have the colour in stock and something about a few covers I ordered. As non of them are for me, I kinda said whatever! I'll get them on Monday and will update.

OK so, quick service from Fonez.ie. Received the 2 phones this morning. As I said already neither of them are for me so I won't be opening them up. What I noticed though, is there is a European to UK plug adapter in the package and a sticker on the Galaxy S6 saying European SIM only, so maybe not actually meant for the Irish Market. The seal is also broken on the HTC1 M9 box, took a look inside and looks new, phone wrapped in plastic and has an Irish plug.

I ordered 5 iPhone covers. 2 came as ordered which were €19 each, 1 which was €15 was substituted with another similar cover but also valued at €15. The final 2 were bought at €19 and were substituted for cheaper €15 covers. Charge hasn't hit the credit card et, so I'm not sure if the final bill will be adjusted. It's only €8... but it's my €8 :D

EU markings is correct. We use different LTE bands than the US/Japan so the EU(International Version) is what you want.

I'm not suspicious by nature but for the price of the phones I would be wondering why the seals are broke on both boxes .

I'm not suspicious by nature but for the price of the phones I would be wondering why the seals are broke on both boxes .

seal only broken on the HTC

I sent them an email regarding the covers and they are refunding the difference in price

Lol that doesn't make me feel good as I ordered the HTC. if I even suspect any tampering with the phone it will be going straight back !

Seals are there for a reason .

As far as I know when buying any product you should refuse it if seals are tapered with .

• Advertisement

Lol that doesn't make me feel good as I ordered the HTC. if I even suspect any tampering with the phone it will be going straight back !

Seals are there for a reason .

As far as I know when buying any product you should refuse it if seals are tapered with .

let me know how your phone arrives
    i would be of the same opinion as you, but as i say.. not for me!

OK just got my m9 came with box seals broke .

Opened the box and knew right off the bat the phone was second hand .
    I started up the phone and low a behold it was in Chinese Wtf ?

The box was filthy and there's two dirty scratches on the back of the phone I am fuming here .

Been on the phone to them and they said there will be a full investigation .

Funny thing yesterday I got a call saying they only had gunmetal left I wanted gold and silver so I said OK I'll get my money back .

Then I got a call back again saying oh ermm we made a mistake we have one gold and silver left .

Now I'm starting to put the pieces together they tried to fob me off with a second hand phone .

I paid good money in good faith for that phone and this is how I was treated .

They said they are sorry & will send postage to collect phone and refund my money .

Just took another look at the one I got. It appears to be new.

I am expecting another delivery of phones from Vodafone (hopefully today). When I get them, I can give the 2 phones out that I got from Fonez and update then. (Can't be dealing with the "if he got his, where is mine" brigade)

Well if I was you I'd look closely at the m9 as you said the seals were broke and that's never a good sign ..

well I can tell you after that I will never buy from them again very shady thing to try pull .tottaly blackening their name .

It gets better they gave me Free tempered screen protector as a good will gesture you couldn't make it up the package it came in was empty !!! If I don't laugh I'll cry .

It gets better they gave me Free tempered screen protector as a good will gesture you couldn't make it up the package it came in was empty !!! If I don't laugh I'll cry .

I laughed @ that :rolleyes:

Lol you couldn't make it up if I could post the pictures on here I would .

as a matter of interest what colour m9 did you buy ?

Lol you couldn't make it up if I could post the pictures on here I would .

as a matter of interest what colour m9 did you buy ?

I didn't specify colour
    It grey

OK so update on my m9 there was a major mix up and I was sent a used phone but I have to say they sorted it in a flash .so to be fair to fonez.ie they were more than helpful and would definitely buy from them again 😀 .

• Advertisement

I did spot on their website them selling used phones alright

I've had no complaints from the 2 lads anyway

Advertisement