Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lipo Disposal.

Options
  • 07-11-2015 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi Just wondering how you guys dispose of EOL lipos? I read that a nail through them and drop em in salty water? I'm sure thats good but it just sounds a little dangerous to me. What is the correct procedure?

Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Edit - the salt water's not dangerous - putting the nail through it isn't a good plan and isn't necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

civdef wrote: »
    It's not dangerous.

Yes it is dangerous! Putting a nail through a lipo is very dangerous!

The battery must should be fully discharged by putting a light bulb on it until you have 0v.
    Then put it in a container filled with salt water.

If the lipo is damaged before you start, go straight to the salt water and do not discharge.

Leave in the water for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Sorry, actually missed the nail bit! Yep, that isn't a great plan.

The saltwater is the correct route.

I'll reword my first post, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Thanks guys, I suspected the nail thing would be bad alright. After a the few weeks in the salt water is there any special disposal requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Never mind the salt water - just discharge it completely and throw it in the bin. Done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yes no need for salt water. It discharges the battery too slow. Discharge with a bulb in a safe place, leave a few hours after bulb is completely out, and its discharged. I connect the power leads together then as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Never mind the salt water - just discharge it completely and throw it in the bin. Done.[/QUOTE
    Better for the environment not to throw batteries in the bin. Bring them to your local recycling centre, so that they can be exported for the materials in them to be re-used (think of it as a patriotic act:) ) Make sure your lipos are discharged first. Ordinary NiCads, NiMhs etc can be put in the battery recycling box at your nearest Lidl/Aldi etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I don't think recycling facilities have the technology to segregate lipo, but I may be wrong. Maybe someone on here can fill us in?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Thanks for the feedback guys. Just FYI, I found that standard 12V 2 pin push in bulbs fit perfectly into a deans type connector. Very handy for discharging 2-3 cell lipos.

Advertisement