Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

playstation 3

• 07-11-2015 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

i have bought a old playstation 3 but it needs a hardrive and the software to run ,my friend said because it had the lid on it it can play the playstation 2 games as well i got it for a bargain so im looking for a guide to getting it up and running ,all help appreciated please;complete novice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

i have bought a old playstation 3 but it needs a hardrive and the software to run ,my friend said because it had the lid on it it can play the playstation 2 games as well i got it for a bargain so im looking for a guide to getting it up and running ,all help appreciated please;complete novice

Good guide here http://www.techradar.com/how-to/gaming/how-to-upgrade-your-ps3-hard-drive-1285911

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

its the older version you know what i mean the bulkier playstation the fat one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

its the older version you know what i mean the bulkier playstation the fat one

The Fat one is generally the 60GB one.

http://youtu.be/F93wfl_jNIM

Its the same hard drive anyways.

Instructions:
    PC Update - Firmware :
    https://www.playstation.com/en-ie/get-help/ps3-system-software/
    To transfer the update data to your PlayStation 3, save the file to a PS3 compatible storage device such as Memory Stick, Memory Stick Duo, USB drive or PSP.

Before starting, use your PC to create a folder named 'PS3' on the storage media or USB device. Within the folder, create a folder named 'UPDATE' (This folder name is case sensitive and must appear in all capital letters). Once the UPDATE folder has been created, download the PS3 system software update to this location.

Once the update data has been saved, disconnect the storage device and connect it to your PS3 via the slots under the slot cover or the USB connectors depending on the device you're using.

Once connected, navigate to Settings on the PS3 Home Menu, select [System Update] and then [Update via Storage Media]. Select the connected device and your PS3 will install the update data stored there.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

thank you

thank you

No problem, sounds like a good deal. I'd be suspect about the device having the YLOD and turning off as soon as you turn it on.
    Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I stuck a 1tb HDD in my slimline yesterday.
    Easy job but used the hidden menu to do the update from a USB stick.

I stuck a 1tb HDD in my slimline yesterday.
    Easy job but used the hidden menu to do the update from a USB stick.

For the people who dont know how to do that:
    http://www.semperthree.com/ps3recoverymenu.html
    Accessing the PS3 Recovery Menu (Safe Mode)

With the system in standby mode. Press and hold the power button down until the system turns on and then off again. Release the power button. Very important to hold the power button until the console shuts off and to release the power button before continuing to step 2.

After about 1 - 2 seconds press and hold the power button again, until you hear 2 consecutive beeps. Release the power button. During this step you will actually here three beeps. There will be one single beep then a short delay followed by the 2 consecutive beeps. Only release the the power button after the 2 consecutive beeps.

You will then be instructed to plug in a controller, via the usb cord, and press the PS button.

At this point the PS3 Recovery Menu will be shown on the screen.
    recoverymenu.png

Advertisement