Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic lights dame street parliament street

Options
  • 07-11-2015 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi all, I know I was at fault but I don't know it?! Was driving on dame street today going towards christchurch. As I was passing parliament street (on my right) the traffic lights went red. So I stopped. People went nuts!!!! What did I do wrong?!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

justback83 wrote: »
    Hi all, I know I was at fault but I don't know it?! Was driving on dame street today going towards christchurch. As I was passing parliament street (on my right) the traffic lights went red. So I stopped. People went nuts!!!! What did I do wrong?!!

You did nothing wrong if you stopped at s red light safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

People in cars went nuts or pedestrians went nuts?
    You may have overshot a pedestrian crossing perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

whiskeyman wrote: »
    People in cars went nuts or pedestrians went nuts?
    You may have overshot a pedestrian crossing perhaps?

No - people in cars went nuts. They were turning right from parliament street to dame street. At least I wasn't alone - the people in the car behind me seemed to be as dumbfounded as I was!

Strangely - there was no markings on the road for where to stop for the lights...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Just throwing afew ideas our there.

Did you stop in the middle of the junction by any chance? Or do you mean that you stopped at the pedestrian crossing on Lord Edward street going up hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

NiallBoo wrote: »

Did you stop in the middle of the junction by any chance? Or do you mean that you stopped at the pedestrian crossing on Lord Edward street going up hill?
    I'm guessing that's exactly what happened.

The stop line for that junction is back opposite Thomas Read's pub, in line with the little side-street on the left. You stopped in the middle of the junction, preventing (as you discovered) right-turning traffic from Parliament Street from completing their turn and going on their way.

The junction isn't the most clearly-laid out, but this happens a lot on large junctions.

If/when you'd realised what had happened, you should just have driven on with care.

• Advertisement

NiallBoo wrote: »

Yes - this is the spot! I had gone through a green light at the pedestrian crossing at the steps of city hall. I was in traffic and the lights went red in front of me...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The stop line for that junction is back opposite Thomas Read's pub

There is a second red light further up the road on the right (opposite Cork Hill)

There is a second red light further up the road on the right (opposite Cork Hill)

This is exactly where I got caught! Didn't know what the hell was going on!! What a ridiculously laid out junction, this must happen all the time!!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm guessing that's exactly what happened.

The stop line for that junction is back opposite Thomas Read's pub, in line with the little side-street on the left. You stopped in the middle of the junction, preventing (as you discovered) right-turning traffic from Parliament Street from completing their turn and going on their way.

The junction isn't the most clearly-laid out, but this happens a lot on large junctions.

If/when you'd realised what had happened, you should just have driven on with care.

I wouldn't call this a large junction! And the last time I went through a red light "with care" I got a $250 fine in oz!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

Yeah, I would guess you had already passed through the green light and then stopped, without realising it, at the red indicating to the traffic behind you... You ended up blocking the traffic turning onto the street who had a green light.

If you have a look on google maps - street view - you can see if you travel through the junction from the direction you mention there's a traffic light on the right hand side only, this is the matching light for the junction back at The Oak/City Hall steps. You had already passed this light at green so you should not have stopped again. As you said, there was no road markings for where to stop because it's not a traffic stop indicator at that point.

For example, at most big junctions or cross roads there is a traffic light right at the junction where you stop, and also across the junction on the opposite side. It's the same here.

So, again, if you look at street view, there's a Dublin Bus stopped at the traffic lights. This is the only point where you need to stop. Once you've passed this point you're through the lights and should keep going. If you move forward on street view, I'm guessing you stopped again at the same point as that small van is as there is a traffic light on the right hand side, but as I said, that's the matching indicator for the traffic behind you and it's not another traffic junction.

Maybe refresh your memory on traffic junction markings and you'll be grand in future. :) Safe driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Yes - this is the spot! I had gone through a green light at the pedestrian crossing at the steps of city hall. I was in traffic and the lights went red in front of me...!
    Cool, if you go have a look at that junction again you'll see that there are two stop lights.
    You stopped at the second one - you don't need to stop here, they're only there to signal the junction from further away (they're up higher so they're more visible) - presumably...I have my suspicions that they are there by mistake.
    This is indicated by the lack of a stop line at these lights. The stop line for this junction is about 50m back.

You were free to carry on and were indeed on the wrong as you were blocking traffic.

Whoops.

My bad...feel like an idiot now!!

No need.
    Look on the bright side - you learned something new today.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 17,721 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Yep - right there!

Yes - as above - that light is for the traffic at the stop line on Dame Street on the far side of Parliament Street.

The lack of a white stop line across the road at that point should have told you that you were not supposed to stop there!

Lesson learnt!

lxflyer wrote: »
    Yes - as above - that light is for the traffic at the stop line on Dame Street on the far side of Parliament Street.

The lack of a white stop line across the road at that point should have told you that you were not supposed to stop there!

Lesson learnt!

Lesson "learned"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Lesson "learned"!

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/learnt-vs-learned
    These are alternative forms of the past tense and past participle of the verb learn. Both are acceptable, but learned is often used in both British English and American English, while learnt is much more common in British English than in American English.

You've learnt two lessons now!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I can't be the only one thinking that is a terrible position for a traffic light...No wonder poor OP was confused. Im sure others to it everyday also if not used to that street.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,721 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Lesson "learned"!
    Sacksian wrote: »

Indeed - yes I do like to think that I know how to spell and use the English language at this stage.

OP - moral of story - always look at the road markings if you are in any doubt.

• Advertisement

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    I can't be the only one thinking that is a terrible position for a traffic light...No wonder poor OP was confused. Im sure others to it everyday also if not used to that street.

Yes and no....
    Yes, it obviously is confusing for people who aren't fully au fait with junction set ups...
    But No because it's pretty much the exact same set up as almost every other similar traffic light junction or crossroads in Ireland (I'm sure there are a few exceptions....)

whether you're familiar with the road or not shouldn't come into it, once you understand road markings.

Advertisement