Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a Landlord just 'Call Round'

Options
  • 07-11-2015 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Sorry, probably been asked here a million times before, but can they? Ours seems to turn up out of the blue, when I mentioned getting some notice, just to make sure we were there, they said that they'll just call, if we're there, we're there.

It just has us thinking, if we're not there, whats to stop him just letting himself in? Not that we've anything to hide, but who wants a stranger just walking round their house while we're in work, just because it's 'his property'??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

he needs to give adequate notice (minimum 24 hours) and agree an amicable time, unless it's an emergency situation.
    you have the right to refuse him being in the property when you're not around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Los Lobos wrote: »
    Sorry, probably been asked here a million times before, but can they? Ours seems to turn up out of the blue, when I mentioned getting some notice, just to make sure we were there, they said that they'll just call, if we're there, we're there.

It just has us thinking, if we're not there, whats to stop him just letting himself in? Not that we've anything to hide, but who wants a stranger just walking round their house while we're in work, just because it's 'his property'??

No is the answer.

A landlord must give notice before calling on you and carrying out inspections repairs etc. A landlord is not allowed let themselves in when you are not present. It is their property but it is your home!

http://www.prtb.ie/dispute-resolution/disputes/the-three-stages-of-a-tenancy/what-are-my-rights-as-a-tenant-
    The rented accommodation must be in good condition, e.g. structurally sound, availability of hot/cold water, adequate heating, appliances in working order, electricity and gas supply in good repair.
    The tenant must have privacy. Landlords can only enter the rented accommodation with your permission unless it is an emergency.
    Tenants must have a rent book, written contract or lease with the landlord.
    Tenants must be informed of increases to their rent. A rent increase can only occur once a year and according to the current market rate after 28 days’ written notice.
    Tenants must be able to contact their landlords at any reasonable time.
    Tenants must be reimbursed by the landlord for any repairs that are carried out on the accommodation. If the damage is beyond normal wear and tear then it is the tenant’s responsibility to pay for them.
    Tenants must be given proper notice before the termination of the tenancy agreement.
    Tenants can refer disputes to the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

I would only ever 'show up' at a tenant's place if there were an emergency. Otherwise the landlord needs to give notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Yes he can. You don't have to answer the door though.

You need to talk to your landlord about this.

For some landlords, owning property and renting it has a social impact. This is the way the whole thing used to be. If you are uncomfortable with this you need to talk about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have a friend whose landlord is in the process of selling the building her apartment is in.

Can she be 'required' to be there for viewings, if it means missing work and losing money? They give notice alright but don't seem to understand/grasp/accept she cannot change work rosters.

• Advertisement

Problem is though that more than likely if the LL is going to let himself in he will. If he is confronted by the tenants he will probably just make sure they are out when he does his "visits"
    spurious wrote: »
    I have a friend whose landlord is in the process of selling the building her apartment is in.

Can she be 'required' to be there for viewings, if it means missing work and losing money? They give notice alright but don't seem to understand/grasp/accept she cannot change work rosters.

A friend of mine is in a similar situation, the apartment he is in is being sold. He gave the estate agent a spare key and they just let themselves in to do viewings, they do not require my friend to be there (which suits him much better as there are regular viewings). They also reduced his rent for the inconvenience.

Problem is though that more than likely if the LL is going to let himself in he will. If he is confronted by the tenants he will probably just make sure they are out when he does his "visits"

A friend of mine is in a similar situation, the apartment he is in is being sold. He gave the estate agent a spare key and they just let themselves in to do viewings, they do not require my friend to be there (which suits him much better as there are regular viewings). They also reduced his rent for the inconvenience.
    Add your reply here.

Nothing the OP has written suggests that the landlord has entered the property without permission. It is just speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

She can refuse to allow any visits or viewings without proper prior notice and without her agreement, she can also refuse all viewings if it is not written into any lease.

Entering when she is not there and without her permission is illegal. they should be able to arrange viewings in the evenings!

As for the landlord calling to the property whenever he wants to that is also not on at all. Hanging around outside or calling to the door on a regular basis is not allowing the tenant peaceful enjoyment of the property!

Advertisement