Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Existing PC or Build a New One for Gaming

Options
  • 07-11-2015 7:58pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My PC is 5.5 years old and, while it played the previous generation games well, it's really struggling with the next-gen titles (e..g I've had to ramp GTA V down to make it playable). It's time to upgrade or get a new build if I want to enjoy Fallout 4, Dishonored 2, etc. Aim would be to get a PC set up that comfortably lasts the next 5 years and can perform well on the current games.

Current setup:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE S1156 Intel P55 A - UD3 (Specs)

CPU: Core i5 Quad 750 2.66 8MB

Memory: 2x2GB

GFX Card: AMD 6800 1GB

PSU: 650W

Do I simply focus on the graphics card and up the memory to get what I want? Or do I need to also focus on the processor - I thought that most of the graphics work these days is done on the card. Is there a need for the processor to be upgraded (because the Fallout 4 spec indicates there is).

I suspect I won't get away with just a graphics card and memory upgrade but happy to be told otherwise. Budget will depend on which option I'm taking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

A new one, first gen Core chips are well obsolete at this stage.

RAM can be carried, as can PSU if its good quality, case will still be fine if you want. GPU is ancient too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you have the budget, you will notice massive gains by getting a whole new system.

If you want to do as little as possible, or stagger the cost of an upgrade, that first gen i5 is a bottleneck but you would still see good improvement in games with a new card.

The good thing at least is that with a new card and 8GB of ram, they can be just carried over in any case to a new machine.

That board will overclock as well, if you take that i5-750 to about 3.2Ghz, which isn't a massive overclock, you would get another bit of life out of it.

Core upgrade is ideal but not totally essential just yet if funds don't allow.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I think I made a basic mistake when I saw my quadcore @ 2.66 and assumed that a current one, clocking in at 2.8 was only a marginal improvement. Seems there's a bit more to it.

I guess I'm going for a new build but maybe salvaging the DVD drive, HD, keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Advertisement