Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting backpack

Options
  • 07-11-2015 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi guys, I saw a thread on here recently about commuting backpack/bag, I can't seem to find it now, I'd appreciate if someone could link me to it or alternatively any recommendations for something waterproof and maybe reflective or hiviz?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Ger.O.Mahony

I have one of these, I find the brand to be good quality and have a few different bags by them. This backpack is only shower proof so I pack my work clothes in an additional plastic bag just in case. When looking for the link I noticed they now do a nicer waterproof one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I have a yellow Ortleib Velocity. It's waterproof, visible, comfortable and well made.
    It is also expensive (well it was to me anyway).
    http://www.wiggle.com/ortlieb-velocity-hi-vis/

I got one about €30 cheaper on Evans. I believe there is a 5 year warranty with it.
    Probably worth it if your pocket can stretch to it and plan on getting the use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Have you considered a pannier? I found no matter what backpack I wore it lead to a massive sweat patch

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MarvinTheMartian

I got one about €30 cheaper on Evans. I believe there is a 5 year warranty with it.
    Probably worth it if your pocket can stretch to it and plan on getting the use out of it.[/quote]

That looks like the kind of one I'm after I'll look into it
    Thanks

Have you considered a pannier? I found no matter what backpack I wore it lead to a massive sweat patch

I only have a 15k commute each way and I have changing facilities so I'm not too concerned re: sweat. But from a comfort point of view it would make a lot of sense alright.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 frosty90

I got a Cube Freeride 20l for commuting a few weeks ago. Cycle superstore had it for about €90 I think.

Its pricey enough but it has an attached waterproof cover and even without the cover on, its 'light' shower proof.

It has a decent set up on the back too, air vents on the ridges that rest on your back. I commute 13km each way and I don't get too sweaty!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I've been using these for years...
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-race-exp-air-rucksack/

The bag itself is raised off your back so very little effect in the way of sweat. It works well for me. Size-wise, it does me just fine. Not very big, but that is what I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Alanbt

I have a Chrome Mini Metro I don't need anymore.
    Would sell if you were interested. I found it great for commuting, waterproof

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-trans-alpine-25-rucksack/

This is a quality bag. Holds everything and has a florescent rain cover

Alanbt wrote: »

Hi, I was thinking more along the lines of a backpack, but that looks good what price/condition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Alanbt wrote: »

I found the chrome stuff pricey but great quality. I have had min for 10 years. Bar the odd oil mark it us as good a condition as the day I bought it.

Waterproof and in one slip definetly saved my skin as it took the skid. I have used it for work, holidays, fits nicely into the airline check things with a bit of shaking. Can take almost a full family shop and very comfy.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I found the chrome stuff pricey but great quality. I have had min for 10 years. Bar the odd oil mark it us as good a condition as the day I bought it.

Waterproof and in one slip definetly saved my skin as it took the skid. I have used it for work, holidays, fits nicely into the airline check things with a bit of shaking. Can take almost a full family shop and very comfy.

They are not cheap alright but the certainly last and are very versatile

neilpryde wrote: »
    Hi, I was thinking more along the lines of a backpack, but that looks good what price/condition.

It's in good condition. It's the all black version (not the night version) with the black buckle.

On phone so can't post pics in the thread but if you PM your email address I can email some photos

€60?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

+1 for Ortlieb. I got mine recently from a German web site quite cheap ( can't remember which one - sorry) but I can check my laptop history tomorrow

Thanks for all the responses. Appreciate it. I'll look into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

If you'd consider a pannier the Ortlieb city is exceptional and very good value. Loads of space and fully waterproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 wing3nut

I just use the trusty plastic bag in a backpack with a rain cover at the moment but I'm looking at getting a new waterproof backpack as well. Anyone ever come across or use the Overboard Pro-Vis backpacks (can't post a link)?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

There is a new range of backpack just into Ireland. 100% waterford and high vis.

They are only going to shops in Ireland this week.

See them here.
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10153813732357845&id=299267627844

Stockists will be on the facebook page this week also.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

I have a €5 one from Pennys, for my 28Km commute I purchased a high vis bag cover from Lidl/Aldi ( I think it was €7 ) and I keep a black bin liner in the bag put everything into the liner and away I go. The bag has lasted about 6ish years so far and probably good to go for another 6. Then the stiching falls apart I'll go for another €5 bag and if I get a year out if it happy days. At this stage I don't care
    it it gets stolen It even gets a wash about once a year aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Undercover

wing3nut wrote: »
    I just use the trusty plastic bag in a backpack with a rain cover at the moment but I'm looking at getting a new waterproof backpack as well. Anyone ever come across or use the Overboard Pro-Vis backpacks (can't post a link)?

Use an Overboard backpack myself, have had it the last 2 years or so. It's very comfortable & never leaks. Would fully recommend it! Fits a lot more in than you might think too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Undercover wrote: »
    Use an Overboard backpack myself, have had it the last 2 years or so. It's very comfortable & never leaks. Would fully recommend it! Fits a lot more in than you might think too.

Use Overboard back pack for years now, but on bike and running. Way more comfortable than I thought.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I use a yellow UnderArmour backpack for a similar commute as the OP - my wife got it in Elverys a year ago (Note: Elverys 15% discount codes). I'm very satisfied with the backpack and not bothered about the sweat (I generally try and push myself hard so will be sweating regardless)
    Have travel toiletries (small 100ml cans) that you get in Boots which reduce weight and have my clothes folded neatley in a plastic bag. I've started wearing jumpers in work so nowadays have no need to iron shirts but I used to iron them and they'd be fine on arrival at work. The clean dry towel is packed in with my clothes.
    My lock is heavy (U lock with thick cable) so I leave that locked to the rack in work so that saves me carrying it to and from the office.
    I have my jacket (Altura Night Vision picked up recently for €6 in a Halfords sale) folded and packed into a water bottle with the top cut off. This then sits in a drink holder on the bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Leaving it open as it has useful points but just to note, this was 4 years ago this thread was last posted in. Also My Chrome Bag is still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mcdonrob

This
    I have my jacket folded and packed into a water bottle with the top cut off. This then sits in a drink holder on the bike.
    is genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I got a 'cycling' backpack in Lidl early last year. If i recall correctly it was around twenty euros. I wasn't expecting much from it, but it's still going. There's reflective bits on it too.

Worth a punt if the budget is tight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Svelle

Two Wheel Gear stuff is nice, they have pannier backpacks

Advertisement