Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky vs Eir

Options
  • 07-11-2015 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys,

Just looking for some advice and opinion if anybody can offer some. Basically went to get evision from Eir to add to my unlimited 100mb efibre package so signed up for that as it was working out much cheaper than sky who actually increased the price of their tv package. So signed up for that and rang to cancel sky, who done the usual and tried to keep me with them. However they offered me a much better deal than eir including phone 100mb unlimited broadband and the same sky package that im on.

So what im wondering is how does sky broadband compare to Eir in regards to speeds, stability and using a Ps4. Also has anyone any thoughts on the Evision service?Does it eat into the broadband speed? Even though im on a 100mb plan with Eir atm im only getting download speeds of 12mb for the last few weeks and upload of 20mb which means im capped by the looks of it, which is a black mark against them already.She promised me 100mb on the phone which is why i signed up,but a 12mb connection with Evision would be disastrous. Are sky reliable when it comes to connection speeds? Im right beside the cabinet also so that shouldn't be a problem. Currently 12 days into grace period in which i can change my mind about signing up with Eir for a further 18months.

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭swoofer

You have asked a very tricky question and you should get your broadband with eir sorted before you move to sky. However, you need to say the package you are currently on with eir ie does it have a download limit and have you exceeded it. Also 12mb down means there is a fault, have you rebooted the router, if not do it now. how far are you from the cabinet? closer equals better. When you opt for evision eir will chop a certain amount off your speed. They usually state your speed should be at least 40mb and then they allocate about 15mb to evision to ensure its stable.

If you switch to sky they just use eir infrastructure, send you a locked down modem/router and if your lucky no problems but don't move until eir have you sorted. Those eir routers are .. not very good and do fail.

A tip. If you go to the eir website you can put in your line number and it will tell you the actual speed your line is capable of. Just pretend you are going to order a pacakage and it will lead you to the line checker.

report back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

12 down and 20 up means you have a fault on your line. That will affect all providers. Ring eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Avada wrote: »
    12 down and 20 up means you have a fault on your line. That will affect all providers. Ring eir.

Not necessarily, OP hasn't said if the test is wireless or not (suspect it is).

darthschracker connect a cable between your laptop and modem, speedtest again. Evision requires 18Mb min IIRC, and each standard def unit eats 4-5Mb while the HD units eat 8Mb. Max 3x tvs.

BTW unless you can see the cabinet from your front door, you probably won't get 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 darthschracker

Hi guys,

So yh im on a unlimited package with Eir, which was for 70mb download and when i got it installed 2 years ago I was getting about 65mb as im about 200-300m from the cabinet,but now only 12mb. Yes the test was with a cable im afraid so as you suggest there must be a fault, i will ring them 2moro about that. Ok well if i can get the fault reported and fixed 25 or so mb out of say the 90mb i get (if the fault is fixed) shouldnt really affect it. So the next step is to find out why the speeds are so low for download i suppose.

I will ring them 2moro and report on my findings :)

Cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 8 darthschracker

oh i did the line test on the Eir website who confirm i should be able to get the 100mb max speed

• Advertisement
Advertisement