Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open call for more Astronauts

Options
  • 07-11-2015 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Forget Uncle Sam, NASA wants you to consider a new career serving your country, your species and science as one of the next generation of astronauts. Note that the position may require some travel, but probably not more than about 250 million miles at most for each mission to Mars.

The space agency is putting out a general call to the public for potential future space explorers and will be accepting applications starting December 14 through mid-February with the expectation that the next astronaut candidates would be announced in 2017. When the window opens, applications will be accepted online via usajobs.gov.
    At the moment, NASA has its sights set on putting footprints on Mars in the 2030s, but to get there it hopes to send more astronauts to the International Space Station until at least 2024, as well as to cislunar space (otherwise known as lunar orbit) where the agency hopes to stash a relocated chunk of an asteroid for study by astronauts.

Aww, you have to be an American. I was gonna do it for the craic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

we still have not had an Irish Astronaut?
    why?
    Is it a function of your small underfunded air force , non participation of NATO?
    small population all of the above ? some other factor

A lot of blue on this map can be explained that the soviets had a political program of getting " cosmonauts from allies and satellites nations into space for propaganda and political purposes
    so there was Polish, Cuban, Syrian even an Afghan astronaut etc

but why so many westerner Europe countries have astronauts?
    863px-Astronaut_Nationalities.svg.png
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_space_travelers_by_nationality

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

I suspect it is probably because we have not signed up to be a full member of ESA. I thing we are just the "lowest sub" as it were ie we can tender for ESA contracts only.

dbran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I’m a NASA astronaut, and here’s what it takes to become a space voyager

http://qz.com/549218/im-a-nasa-astronaut-and-heres-what-it-takes-to-become-a-space-voyager/

Advertisement