Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing the Numbers game: Sub 5;10;17;36;60;80

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Very positive run there J - well done, keep the training going and you'll no doubt PB this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Mad isnt it, was shorter than I remembered. Had it built up in my mind so much i was expecting my ears to pop by the time i got to the top. The second drag was the real killer for me.

yep - the 1st 'hill' wasn't too bad - the 2nd drag is what caught me too - plenty of tired legs on that stretch.

Nice running BinB - you had that 'content' look on your face at the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Sunday 19th June: 10 mile LSR @ 8:41 avg pace

6 am start for this and as expected the legs were absolutely mullered. A real struggle to get going and the constant drizzle wasn't helping my mood. Resisted the temptation to stop a few times and got through this. Legs felt tired but think they were better after the run than when I started.

Monday 20th June: Rest
    Working late so never got a chance to get out.

Tuesday 21st June: 2 easy, 20x200 @ 42s w/90sec recovery, 2 easy

Headed out with usual running buddy for this and was glad to have the company as it saved me counting down reps. Got into the groove early on after a first few quick ones and concentrated on keeping it consistent and the form good. Fairly comfortable session and was happy out with it. Body felt good and relaxed. done plenty of stretching afterwards.

Apart from first 2-3 all were either 41 or 42 seconds

Wednesday 22nd June: 7 mile easy @ 8:38 avg pace

Just about managed to squeeze this in after work and get the match in! Its was humid and sticky so the pace was fairly handy. Was fairly tired after this after a crazy day at work.

Thursday 23rd June 1.9mile recovery @ 9:31 avg pace

Very handy recovery run to get the legs moving

Friday 24th June: Kilcock 5k 18:28

Disappointing run. I had decided to follow the same tactics as Dunshaughlin and relax into the race and hopefully pick it up. First 2km were good although the legs did feel a bit heavy but was happy with how I was going and was moving through groups. I didn't really loose position on the next 2kms but pace slowed a fair bit and wasn't a lot I could do about it. Picked it up a bit on last km but was a big struggle and couldn't respond as people started passing me with 800 to go, one of which was Tang who glided past me effortlessly. That did spur me on to up the pace but there was no way I was catching him and was genuinely delighted for him getting his PB.

It was all a rush to get to the race which probably didn't help and I hadn't much sleep the night before and work has been mental lately so putting a lot of it down to pure tiredness.

Splits were:
    3:38;3:35;3:48;3:46;3:41

Saturday 25th: Rest

Went to Donegal/ Monaghan match and forgot about running, helped by the feed of pints after :pac:

Sunday 26th: Rest
    See Saturday!!!

Weekly Total: 22.9 miles

Monday 27th June: 8 mile @ 8:51

Headed out with usual running buddy and done a nice hilly loop from the house. Plenty of climbing to test the legs. Enjoyed this run but the legs were tired after it.

Tuesday 28th June: 6 mile easy @ 8:49

Another handy one and kept the pace really slow. Didn't leave the dinner settle too long so was good to keep the pace easy. Legs were tired from the previous nights hills.

Wednesday 29th: Rest

Thursday 30th June: Clonee 10k - 39:01

Very last minute decision to do this and it was really only to keep running buddy company I decided to do it. I figured as I was heading on holidays I would get plenty of rest over the next few days so might as well. Only decided last minute on tactics and decided to try and go out conservatively and see at half way what the legs felt like.

The first km felt good and relaxed but the by the end of it there was a big gap between the group I was running in and the next group so when the km beeped at 3:54, I decided to try and reel in the group ahead which included Overpronator. Only one out of the group followed me (Dunboyne lady) and we soon had open road to ourselves. Had a wee chat and told her my plan to catch the group ahead. She was calling out mile splits but other than that I was ignoring the pace. I was happy staying with her as she was getting plenty of shouts of support. I did get a few shout outs from Firedance so at least I had one supporter :D.

I checked the pace at half way and thought I might have been quicker. The legs weren't playing ball either and discovered that another Dunboyne lady was hiding behind us so at the water stop, The three of us stayed together for the remainder of the race and i was happy enough with that as we never really got close enough to catch the main group ahead. I picked up the pace in the last 500mtrs and was trying to encourage the Dunboyne lady that I had ran most of the race with to catch her buddy who was pulling away -they were second and third female. She did with only a few metres to go!!. Happy enough with this run on tired legs.

Heading off to France tomorrow so will have a few rest days but will keep the running up (mainly easy!) when were over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Enjoy the hols J, hope ye get good weather. Have an ice-cream for me!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

That was the most delightful, super amazing Emilia Dan :) Hope you enjoyed the course, I've yet to do this race :rolleyes: but numbers were a good bit up on last year which is a great sign for the future. I hope you got some pizza in the grasshopper afterwards too!!!!

Enjoy the hols :)

edit, jebus tang how did you beat me to a comment!!!

Firedance wrote: »
    That was the most delightful, super amazing Emilia Dan :) Hope you enjoyed the course, I've yet to do this race :rolleyes: but numbers were a good bit up on last year which is a great sign for the future. I hope you got some pizza in the grasshopper afterwards too!!!!

Enjoy the hols :)

edit, jebus tang how did you beat me to a comment!!!

Nice lady alright and good company. It's a great course and will definitely do it again (hopefully faster next year:) ). Missed the pizza unfortunately :( but a lovely feed followed by a trip to Macari's across the road!!

Holidays over but got plenty of running done and managed to lose two pounds despite plenty of bbq's and fine dining (not to mention the barrels of hoegaarden!!) so all good.

Monday 4th July: 6 mile easy @ 8:12 avg pace
    Nice easy run on the trails around Jean de Monts

Tuesday 5th July: 7 mile easy @ 8:13 avg pace
    See Monday

Wednesday 6th July: 5 mile steady @ 7:12 avg pace
    Done this in 22 degrees heat so happy with the pace and I'd say I lost a few pound in sweat on this.

Thursday 7th July: 6 mile easy @ 8:15 avg pace
    Early humid run on the trails.

Friday 8th July: 11 mile LSR@ 8:07 avg pace
    I had to squeeze this in today as we were moving inland Saturday. Got out nice and early and brought water with me as it was very hot out. Had to hide the water as the belt was cumbersome to say the least. Got tired towards the end of this and sweated buckets!

Saturday 9th July: Rest

Sunday 10th July: 6 mile easy @ 8:16 avg pace
    Bit of a makey up route as I went exploring. 29 degrees late afternoon run. Left it at 6 in the heat and made sure to rehydrate well.
    Weekly Total: 41 mile

Monday 11th July: 7.2 mile @ 8:35 avg pace
    26 degrees and humid early morning run. Another makey up route. Legs felt good and fresh but humidity made it tough.

Tuesday 12th July: 6.2 mile easy @ 8:18 avg pace
    Early evening run and a lot cooler that previous days which made this easy and pace was a bit quicker.

Wednesday 13th July: Rest

Thursday 14th July: 7 mile easy @ 8:11 avg pace
    Late evening run when it was a lot cooler. Legs felt nice and fresh

Friday:Rest
    Travelling to Ferry so no chance to run

Saturday 16th July: 6 mile easy @ 7:50
    Got out late and nearly didn't do this as was wrecked from travelling home and in a deep state of depression after going to the Cavan match! Zoned out and wasn't looking at pace so surprised with pace and splits when I checked them later on. Still legs felt fresh so happy with this.

Sunday 17th July: 12.35 mile LSR @ 8:24 avg pace
    Seemed like a good idea to meet running buddy at 7am for this. Was tired setting out but soon got going. Took a gel with me and took it after 7 mile. Still had a last 3 tired miles but happy to get this done and the miles in the legs.

Weekly Total: 38.75 miles

Now to spend the evening catching up on logs here!

Monday 18th July: Rest

An unscheduled rest day as I had to travel to a funeral removal in the evening and didn't get back until late.

Tuesday 19th July: 8 mile easy @ 8:31 avg pace

A 9pm run with two lads from the club on a very hilly route after the mad heat was gone. It was still warm and humid and made for a tough run. We paused at the top for the view of 8 counties which was stunning on such a clear night. Found the second set of hills tough on the legs and it was tough at times to keep going but got a second wind then. Enjoyed this even if it was tough.

Managed to do the darkside core routine as well.

Wednesday 20th July: 6.15 miles easy with 4 x200mtrs @ 8:20 avg pace

Left this until evening but was still warm. Legs were wrecked from previous nights run but they did loosen up towards the end. Done the planned 200mtrs just by speeding up for 40-45 seconds and then 2 mins recovery.

Thursday 21st July: 6 mile easy @ 8:30 avg pace

Early morning run as I wanted to get a sports massage later on. Was tired getting out but after a few miles I got going and felt good. Legs in better shape after this. Bit of core work too.

Friday 22nd July: Rest

Saturday 23rd July: 2.25 mile recovery @ 9:24 avg pace

Very gentle recovery run from the house this evening with an eye on Fingal 10k tomorrow morning. This was just to get the legs moving and thankfully they feel nice and fresh after the rest and sports massage.

Best of luck tomorrow J, didn't realise you were running with holidays and all. Run well.

• Advertisement

Well done this morning J.

tang1 wrote: »
    Well done this morning J.

I genuinely appreciate the sentiment B, but there is no hiding from this one or no crumbs of comfort. It was a shocking, cowardly run and the latest in a litany of races where I have taken the easy option or just thrown in the towel when the going gets tough. I'm in a cycle of it and need to get out of pronto.

I'll wallow in it for the rest of the evening and start again tomorrow with a new focus! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I certainly know that feeling J, suffering from it badly myself at the minute.

Maybe we should hook up again for another date and work it out of our systems :)

Hopefully it'll pick up for you soon but it sure is irritating!

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I know how you feel (from way behind in the pack). When you crack the code, please let us know.

I genuinely appreciate the sentiment B, but there is no hiding from this one or no crumbs of comfort. It was a shocking, cowardly run and the latest in a litany of races where I have taken the easy option or just thrown in the towel when the going gets tough. I'm in a cycle of it and need to get out of pronto.

I'll wallow in it for the rest of the evening and start again tomorrow with a new focus! :)

I think that's a shocker of a course - only ran it once, had a shocker and don't want to do it again.

Have you looked at your training - types of runs, when they are scheduled, number of tempos v intervals, etc etc.
    Maybe a change in this might bring about the desired changes.

Also - is there a level of expectation that you have that may not fit with where the current reality is?
    Personally, I suffered from this for a while and was so disappointed by my performances - it took a good kick in the h0le to get me out of it.

I certainly know that feeling J, suffering from it badly myself at the minute.

Maybe we should hook up again for another date and work it out of our systems :)

Hopefully it'll pick up for you soon but it sure is irritating!

TbL

Sounds good - what's that old saying about misery liking company? :D:D

I think that's a shocker of a course - only ran it once, had a shocker and don't want to do it again.

Have you looked at your training - types of runs, when they are scheduled, number of tempos v intervals, etc etc.
    Maybe a change in this might bring about the desired changes.

Also - is there a level of expectation that you have that may not fit with where the current reality is?
    Personally, I suffered from this for a while and was so disappointed by my performances - it took a good kick in the h0le to get me out of it.

Would love to blame the course but ran 38:28 there last year (my 10k PB) and I have pbed twice in Fingal so can't even blame that!!

Interesting one on the expectation and I think I have lowered my expectations recently and don't think I overreached yesterday and at 5km was at 19:15 so was doing good on the pacing considering the profile of the course. I just seem to be repeating a pattern of absolutely bonking in the middle part of races and its a year since I came within an asses roar of a PB so if it takes a kick in the hole to get me out of this rut - bring it on..... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Throw up a report anyway and let us all indulge in a bit of shadenfreude. ;)

Sorry it didn't go well.

Fingal 10k: 39:27 (PB 38:28 Fingal 2015)

I was feeling good and relaxed about this and felt I was in good shape to run a decent run. Went into it fairly relaxed and with no pressure on myself. The objective was to run close enough to where I got to in Dunshaughlin a few weeks ago. Knowing the course I planned to go out at roughly Dunshaughlin pace and assess the situation at half way.

I met OFAR at the startline and we worked our way up but were still a bit back so knew 1st km would be slow. Again I was quite relaxed about it and wasn't going to bust myself to get through the crowd. About 800mtrs in I had some open road to work with and pushed on slightly and was happy enough with 1st km at 4:00 bang on. Last year I ran the 2nd km in 3:3x and knew it was generously downhill so I kept the effort comfortable and sure enough the watch beeped at 3:40 - all good. Next 2kms felt ok and beeped at 3:48 and 3:48.

So was in good shape at the 4km mark and was happy where I was and had a good group to work off. It was starting to get tough here - it really came from nowhere and I let all the demons and negative thoughts flood in. 5th km was 4:01 to hit the 5km mark at 19:15 which was still ok and just about where I wanted to be.

But wheels came off soon after that and I offered minimal resistance (if any) to the idea of taking it a wee bit easier and wasn't willing to feel the hurt in any way. I completely caved in and ran the second half in 20:11 and couldn't even be arsed raising a burst for the line. Even seeing OFAR cruise by me couldn't even rise me to speed up or spur me on.

All in all a hugely disappointing run. I don't mind having a bad race - it happens! It was the way I ran out of juice and wasn't interested in digging in or toughing it out when it got tough that is really annoying me.

I really need to get out of this rut!

Splits: 4:00;3:40;3:48;3:48;4:01;3:58;3:58; 4:03;4:08;4:04

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

All in all a hugely disappointing run. I don't mind having a bad race - it happens! It was the way I ran out of juice and wasn't interested in digging in or toughing it out when it got tough that is really annoying me.

I really need to get out of this rut!

I'm nowhere near the runner you are but this I have tons of experience with!!! it really is mind over matter. You might think its a bonkers (or a bit girly..) but find a positive mantra pre race and repeat it to yourself from the startline to the finish line, the negative thoughts will still creep in but once you have the mantra going it will ward them off - you can borrow any of mine you like!!!!

• Advertisement

Monday 25th July: 2.3 mile @ 8:55

A nice and gentle recovery run down to the local pitch.

Tuesday 26th July: 6.2 mile easy @ 8:53

Usual hilly Tuesday night special with running buddy but unfortunately we had to cut it short as we were running out of light. Nice challenging hilly route.

Done a darkside core routine before.

Wednesday 27th July: 7.8 miles with 8 x 1min hills w/ 2 min recovery:

Headed straight out after arriving back from working in Dublin for the day so was tired going into it and a bit hungry. Had sent out a call looking for company on the way back from Dublin and club captain was up for this. I ran a few mile while waiting for him and we got stuck into the hills after he arrived. We done the first hill up a really steep hill in the town but it was a wee bit dangerous as was very busy with traffic and no footpaths in places. We moved to another gentler but longer hill for the rest of these. My garmin died on the warm up miles so no detail on this but it felt tough and we consistently hit within a metre of the same spot every time. The last three were tough but we were pushing each other along and the company made this much easier than it would have been on my own. We done about a mile together cool down before we headed our separate directions. Happy with this workout - a nice tough one.

Thursday 28th July: Rest

Friday 29th July: 8 mile easy @ 8:11 avg pace

Early morning run in new runners and sleepwalked through the first few miles and then the legs woke and were flying along. Enjoyed this run.

Saturday 30th July: 2 easy, 4 @ 6:40, 2 easy

Had only one chance to do this so got out after the young lads football match. I was a bit worried about this and knew it would be fairly tough but determined to get this done right. I felt ok on the warm up miles but it was fairly humid. It took me a while to hit the pace and the first mile had a long drag but was still a wee bit concerned at the pace of the first mile but dug in when it felt tough. The 4th mile at 6:40 was a reverse of the first mile so they balanced each other out. This was a tough run but was glad I toughed it out and got it done. Body felt tired afterwards.

Splits for fast miles were: 6:49;6:39;6:40;6:32

Sunday 31st July: 4 miles @ 8:05

Was away on an overnighter so no chance to do a LSR so just got a few quick miles done at the pitch while the young lad cycling along with me - multitasking at its finest!!

July Total: 148.45

Monday 1st August: 13 mile @ 7:45 avg pace

(8:11;7:56;8:09;7:56;7:48;7:43;7:40;7:43;7:35;7:38;7:28;7:37;7:20)

A funny run. I had downloaded a new podcast by a sports psychologists and was listening to this as I done this. Apart from the way OTT americanness (not sure if that is a word :)), its pretty good and made a lot of sense. Got 3 episodes in and some of it was really resonating with me and worked through a lot of things as I done this run. All the while I was paying no heed to the pace.

Normally doing a LSR on my own at the crack of dawn the pace would be at least 30 seconds slower and the last few miles would be just about finishing it out. Not today though and shows there may be something to this sports psychology lark so going to stick with the podcast for the next while. Legs were absolutely flying by the end of this and I was genuinely shocked at the pace when I checked the watch at the end. A bit naughty with the pace but I enjoyed this and it gave me a timely confidence boost too.

The major lessons from the podcast I have taken are about getting stuck in a cycle of negativity by focusing on what went wrong and in the next race it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy when things get tough. So I will be taking the lessons from the last few poor performances and addressing them and taking the positives from the last race and moving on.

So, I have now put the recent races behind me and it's on to the next goal which is Athlone HM in September.

Things I need to focus on with Athlone in mind are:
    • Building endurance
    • Building mental toughness
    • Doing more core work
    So August is all about getting the head down and getting the hard work done.

good to see this.

Whats the podcast?

Good stuff J - hopefully this is the start of a new chapter

good to see this.

Whats the podcast?

It's the Sports Motivation Podcast by I'm not you!!

www.imnotyou.com

Tuesday 2.2 miles @ 9:44 avg pace

Plan called for a 20 min recovery and young lad wanted to go for a cycle so killed two birds with one stone by taking him down to the GAA pitch track. Great to have him chatting away to me as I got the recovery miles done. Over before I knew it and body felt good after it.

DS core routine x 15 reps.

Wednesday 8 miles @ 8:41 avg pace

Got out this evening with usual running buddy to do our nice and hilly loop from my house. I wasn't feeling the love as it was monsoon season in Cavan and was trying to find excuses not to run as I looked out while waiting for running buddy to arrive. Thankfully rain stopped by the time we were ready to start.

I felt creaky starting out but once we got to the highest point after 3 mile, I had loosened up and the pace naturally sped up. Felt good and strong on this and avoided the worst of the rain.

Thursday 6x800 @ 3:05-3:10 w 2:30 recoveries

I headed out in the evening with my usual running buddy who fancied doing a session too.

Done a nice and easy 2 mile warm-up followed by some stretching before getting stuck in.

First one was a touch fast with the first lap doing the damage. Relaxed a wee bit too much on the third but picked it up again and finished strongly. Only really started to feel tired on the last rep but pace and form was still decent. Enjoyed this workout and it didn't over-stress the system.

Splits for the 800s were 3:04;3:09;3:11;3:08;3:08;3:08

Total: 8.25 miles

Friday: 4.2 mile recovery @ 10:36 avg pace

Young lad wanted to go cycling so killed two birds with one stone. We headed out on the forest paths and there was plenty of doubling back which fecked up the garmin signal so not sure of true pace but it was definitely recovery pace. Enjoyed this and body felt good. Done no harm anyway.

Saturday: 2 easy, 3x10mins @ 6:30 w 3min recovery, 2 easy

splits for 10 mins: 6:28;6:30;6:28 :):):)

I headed out not long after lunch and it was dry but windy out. I knew this would be a toughie but also knew it's exactly the type of run I need. The first 10min section was tough and nett uphill so was happy with the pace. The second was definitely tougher but the form was decent and I was consistent with my pacing.
    The last whole was a huge step up and from about 3 minutes in it was feeling tough. Had to dig deep mentally on this to keep going and not ease of the pace. Delighted to finish the ten minutes and be on pace. Really happy with the consistency of this and toughing it out. The hardest session I've had in a long time but really happy to get it done.

Total: 9.1 miles

Sunday: 13.15 miles LSR @ 8:08

I set the alarm for 6:30 am and headed out after the porridge on my own.
    It was fairly windy out but apart from during the early miles it didn't bother me too much until the last mile where I was running up a long drag on the bypass with the wind driving me back. Managed to keep the pace up and finished strong. Body felt fresh and legs were flying so happy out with this after a tough week.

Also managed to fit in a darkside core routine to finish off a good weeks work.

Total weekly mileage: 56.7 miles

Very solid week that J, great to see.

tang1 wrote: »
    Very solid week that J, great to see.

^^^^^^^Agreed!

• Advertisement

Last week was very busy with work with lots of early mornings and late nights with a few 12+hour days and had to work Saturday until very late too and then was out until 3 am. I knew the way the week would be so main objective was to get the runs done as best I could.

Monday 8th Aug: 2.4 mile recovery @8:52

Ran from the house down to GAA pitch nice and handy. Got the darkside core routine done too.

Tuesday 9th Aug: 8 mile easy @ 8:08 avg pace

5:30 am start for this and was pleasantly surprised how good it felt.

Wednesday 10th Aug: 2 mile easy, 10x 1min hills, 2 easy

Knowing I would be working until very late I set the alarm for 5:30, done a few miles easy to warm-up and then done this on the long hill near home. It's a evil hill as it get steeper the further up you go. I had forgotten the garmin so had to use the phone as a stopwatch. I managed to hit the same spot for the 10 reps so pleased with the consistency. There was a bit of gritting the teeth about the last 3 but got through it.

Was buzzing for the day after getting this done early.

Thursday 11th Aug: 6 mile easy @ 7:56

After only 4 hours sleep I started work at 6am so had to wait to get an opportunity to get a run in. Skipped lunch and got out for this. It was all a bit too rushed for my liking but the legs were flying.

Friday 12th Aug: Rest

Saturday 13th Aug: 8 mile with 6@7:00

5 am run as was working all day and going on the beer afterwards. Was very tired and pressed for time so shaved a mile of each end of the planned run. Was very happy with the quick miles after taking a while to get to the pace. Had to grit the teeth to get the last few done but delighted to get this done.

Splits: 8:05;7:06;6:48;6:51;6:39;7:01;6:54;8:04

Sunday 14th Aug: 14 mile @ 8:22 avg pace

Late run and was tired heading out but happy to get this done. Was surprised that after the first few miles I started to feel fresh and the legs were working well. Got a wee bit lost so ended up being a bit further than planned and last mile was tough to keep going but happy I did.

Weekly Total: 46.6 miles

Happy with the weeks work all things considered.

Advertisement