Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing the Numbers game: Sub 5;10;17;36;60;80

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Good to keep that kind of consistency in a busy week, fair play J

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Monday 15th: Rest
    No chance to get out.

Tuesday 16th August: 7 mile easy @ 8:38 avg pace

5:30 am start for this and was fairly sleepy heading out so kept the pace nice and handy. Needed the loo so cut this short by a mile to get back to the car. Legs had woke up by the end of this and body felt good.

Darkside core routine with 15 reps in the evening.

Wednesday 17th August: 2 easy, 16x400@95 w75sec rec, 2 easy

Had plenty of company for this with usual running buddy and his two young lads. I ran down to the pitch track and met the lads there and finished of a two mile warm-up and done plenty of stretching.

All the 400's were between 93 and 95 with about 12 at 94.

I was really pleased with this as the pace was very consistent. Only really started hitting the legs over the last 3/4 and still felt like I could have done a good few more. Apart from a bit of tiredness in the legs at the end I was flying and the body felt good.Sit-ups, leg raises and planks in evening

Thursday 18th August: 8 mile easy @ 8:28 pace

5:30 am start for this. Legs were tired after the previous evenings exertions so the pace was nice and easy. Legs felt better towards the end of this.Darkside routine with 15 reps in the evening.

Friday 19th August: 5.75 very easy @ 8:41 pace

Bonus run as met one of the lads from the club and decided to join him and another clubmate for a run. The lads showed me a new route which was fairly hilly but very quiet. We kept the pace handy and enjoyed the chat. Legs had more life than previous day.

Core work in the evening

Saturday 20th August: 1 easy; 3x10min @ 6:25 with 3min rec, 2easy

Got out mid morning in the lashing rain to do this. Was getting so soaked I decided to start into the quick stuff after 1 mile warm-up. 1st 10mins started up a hill which made it tough to hit the pace. Missed the target pace by a fair bit but putting that down to conditions. 1.53 mile @ 6:35 avg pace

Felt much better and more tuned into the pace for the second one and was flying along. Last 2 minutes were tough to hold on but toughed it out. 1.57mile @ 6:24 avg pace

Last one I knew i was starting with a nice downhill section and hit the first mile in 6:22 but ended up finishing it ten minutes up a long hill so legs were screaming and the pace dropped but not too annoyed about it. 1.54 mile @ 6:31 avg pace

A tough workout especially given the conditions and very happy to get it done. I'm having a real love hate relationship with these sessions as they are really daunting when I see them on the schedule, they are tough as hell when I'm doing them but I get a real buzz when they are done. They are definitely making me stronger too.
    Another bit of core work in the evening.

Total: 8.7 miles

Sunday 21st August: 14.8 mile LSR @ 7:58 avg pace

Splits:

8:29;8:07;8:14;8:24;8:02;8:12;7:56;8:01;7:56;7:42;7:53;7:40;7:45;7:40;6:05

Set the alarm for 6:30 as was heading to Dublin early and needed to get this done. Got on the road for 7 and thankfully it wasn't raining but the runners were still soaked from yesterday. The legs felt a bit tired over the first 4 miles but after than they came to life and I was flying along - felt good and strong. So much so I added a few miles on and the pace picked up a fair bit. One of those runs where I felt I could run all day.

Good weeks running nicely finished off:

Total weekly mileage: 54.25

Monday 22nd Aug: 2.4 mile recovery @ 8:42

Usual Monday handy recovery run down at the pitch track with the young lad cycling with me for company.

Core work in the evening

Tuesday 23rd Aug: 8 mile easy @ 9:01 avg pace

I didn't get out until 9pm for this but had company with 2 clubmates. Was happy to let them dictate the pace and keep it real nice and handy.

Core work again.

Wednesday 24th Aug: 2 easy; 8x800@ 3:10-3:15; 400mtr rec; 2 easy

Had company in the form of usual running buddy for this which made this so much easier. We were a bit quick at the start of the first two but soon got into a nice rhythm and these flew by. The last couple were a bit quicker as we had company on the track and were speeding up to pass her by a few times. Had that nice feeling that I could have done a few more reasonably comfortably.

A nice wee confidence booster of a sessionand finished the evening with more core work.

Splits for 800's:
    3:05:3:06;3:09;3:10;3:10;3:08;3:06;3:04

Total: 10 miles

Thursday 25th Aug: 6.8 miles @ 8:25 avg pace

Went out in the evening and arranged to meet a few from the club on the way around. Got 2.5 miles on my own done before I met the lads. We done a few loops around Cavan town and were back at the cars after 6.8 miles. Decided to call it a night at that as didn't fancy heading off on my own for another loop in the lashing rain.

Got core work done too.

Friday 26th Aug: Rest

Saturday 27th Aug: 8 miles with 6 @ 6:50

Headed out mid morning for this after spending a few hours at the pitch at foortball training. Was wary of this as hadn't eaten since breakfast and it was fairly hot out. Was also kicking myself for not bringing water with me either. Was pressed for time so shaved a mile of each end of the planned session. Was feeling even more wary of this after the warm-up mile but gritted the teeth and got stuck into the quick stuff. Was struggling on the first mile or so and was not confident of finishing this at all. I did toy with the idea of aborting the session and heading back for the car but decided it would be good mental training to tough it out so had a chat with myself and kept going and soon hit a nice rhythm and the miles ticked by. I was a bit bold with the pace but went with it and it was a nice feeling when the mile paces beeped so much ahead of target. Delighted with this one.

Splits for fast miles: 6:42;6:52;6:41;6:37;6:38;6:37

Sunday 28th Aug@ 13 mile LSR @ 8:57 avg pace

Mrs BinB was doing Dublin city Triathlon which meant it was late when I got out.
    I Joined usual running buddy on the forest trails for this, which meant pace was slow enough but plenty of hills and trails to give a decent workout. We got caught a little by surprise by how quickly it got dark and the last few miles were in blackness in the forest - thankfully we knew where we were going!! Also glad I had company too! Ended up back at the car at 13 miles so left it at that as was getting silly at that stage not being able to see where we were putting our feet or too far ahead. Still a decent workout.

Weekly total: 48.2 miles

Monday 29th Aug: 2.4 mile recovery @ 9:09 avg pace

Nice handy evening run down to the pitch followed by some core work.

Tuesday 30th Aug: 8 mile easy @ 8:46 avg pace

Late evening run with usual running buddy and kept the pace nice and handy and the miles flew by.

Wednesday 31st August: 8 mile easy @ 8:27 avg pace

Same route just without company at 5:30 am. Was tired heading out but woke up as the miles went by.

August Total: 224.15 miles: Biggest monthly mileage ever and a really good month's running along with a lot of core work. Hopefully all pays off in Athlone!

• Advertisement

Thursday 1st Sept: 1 easy; 3mile @ 6:40; 2 mile @6:30; 1 mile @ 6:20, 1.5 mile easy

Splits: 8:12, 6:32;6:35;6:36; 6:25;6:23; 6:14; 8:15; 4:02

It was a real struggle to fit this in as I knew I would be working in the evening. Attempt 1 was at 5:30 am but a crap nights sleep put paid to that idea. Attempt 2 was at lunchtime but was in the gear and was putting on the garmin and realised it was dead as a dodo so no point doing this without any paces. So drove home and got the charger and charged the garmin in the office for the afternoon. Attempt 3 was at 4pm but got called to a meeting so that was that.

Finally got out at 6pm and it was lashing rain and I was hungry and had to be back for 7:15 to let Mrs BinB out. Shaved a mile of the warm-up and got stuck into this. To save time I used the gaa pitch beside me. Was surprised to hit my stride early on and just focused on getting the job done. Was really consistent with the pace and happy out. Enjoyed the 3 minute recovery before getting stuck into the 2 miles. Similar to the first set, I hit my stride early and was very consistent doing this. The 2 min recovery flew by before getting into the last mile. This was similar to the previous 2 and didn't pose much problems. Legged it back home and made it in the door at 7:13 :cool:

Happy to get this done all things considered :pac:

Friday: Rest

Got a core workout done though!

Saturday: 8 mile easy @ 8:10 avg pace

Had to juggle days again. Got out between showers and enjoyed this run. nice and consistent and legs felt fresh.

Took a rest day from the corework!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck in Athlone J, you deserve a race your happy with, hope it goes to plan. Run well.

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck in Athlone J, you deserve a race your happy with, hope it goes to plan. Run well.

Cheers B. You've also shamed me into updating here too :o:o

Sunday 8th Sept; 2 mile easy, 3.6 mile @ 6:35; 1.35 mile @ 6:30; 5 min rest; 1.35 mile @ 6:28, 2 easy

Went off script for this and joined the new club Sunday morning session as wanted to support it and help get the numbers. Was caught in a few minds as to what to do so met usual running buddy for a few mile first and we decided to do a few HM paced miles while waiting for others. 3.6 mile on our own felt tough as it was on a fairly hilly route. We then decided to do the looped session with club at around HM pace. A good workout and gave me a bit more confidence about HM pace in Athlone.Core workout in the evening too.

Weekly total: 44.7 mile

Monday 5th Sept: 2.5 mile @ 9:21 avg pace

Very handy recovery run down to the pitch.

Tuesday 6th Sept: 2 mile easy; 6x800 @ 3:10 w 2:30 rec, 2 easy

Splits for 800s: 3:12;3:13;3:10;3:11;3:12;3:15

Got out very late after a long day at work and not long after dinner. Only headed out and done this as it suited running buddy. We deliberately decided to keep the pace on the handy side of the target. It was dark so didn't see splits and not too upset about not hitting target paces. Happy enough that this was a decent workout.

Wednesday 7th Sept: Rest

Thursday 8th Sept: 5 mile easy @ 8:51

Very handy run down to the pitch and a lot of very handy miles. Body feels good as have taken a break from the core work until after Athlone.

Will do a handy 20 mins run tomorrow and then am ready for Athlone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Are you going to bother?

Are you going to bother?

Sorry gone to the dogs keeping this updated. Short version is 1:34:45. Everything going great until mile 5. Was well ahead of target and feeling good when I started getting stomach cramps and knew I was in trouble. The rest of the house had succumbed to the same thing the day before so knew my race was gone. Limped home via a few visits to the ditch.

Took a few days to get over the bug and struggling to convince myself to get out this week. However played my first game of soccer in a long long time tonight and was buzzing after it. Haven't had that feeling about running in a while so am at a crossroads....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Sorry gone to the dogs keeping this updated. Short version is 1:34:45. Everything going great until mile 5. Was well ahead of target and feeling good when I started getting stomach cramps and knew I was in trouble. The rest of the house had succumbed to the same thing the day before so knew my race was gone. Limped home via a few visits to the ditch.

Took a few days to get over the bug and struggling to convince myself to get out this week. However played my first game of soccer in a long long time tonight and was buzzing after it. Haven't had that feeling about running in a while so am at a crossroads....

A week or two without running. Another week or two of running without the watch. Then an easy-ish target, maybe target a top 10 in a Parkrun. Then do a rain-check and see if some of the love is back?

Right time to get this back going again. Have been drifting along since Athlone. Have been getting out most days when I get the chance and have hopped in with running buddy on his sessions when it suited so have been getting the miles in. Finished September with 152.9 miles.

Also had a club race on the 25th Sept. It was the county winter league 5k with the club hosting it. Went into it nice and fresh and decided not to look at the watch. The course was nice and fast for first km with a generous downhill. I deliberately held back here and just concentrated on having people I knew I should be near within striking distance. The second km was into the wind with a long drag so held on for this knowing there was a big climb on the 3rd km. Decided to make a move on the hill as could see the group ahead of me were slowing and starting to drop a few. Bombed up the hill and picked off most of the group. Two guys had forged on from the group and when I caught them they were taking it in turns to push on trying to drop me. After a third time, I decided to push the pace even harder and was nicely surprised to see that they didn't respond. Got to 4km with open road ahead of me and nothing to chase so just concentrated on holding on. Finished in 18:19 which is decent for that course and was first scorer for the club.

That gave me a nice wee boost so plan is to keep doing club races and try to get out running when work schedule allows and will try and get two sessions done a week with running buddy but not going to stress about it.

1st October: County Masters Cross-Country (5k):

Arrived into this not sure what to expect. It was my first masters race and first in this venue. I wasn't sure that I would get to race until 20 minutes before it started as I had the two kids with me so me running would depend on getting someone to keep an eye on them while I ran.

Thankfully the women's race was to be run first, which gave me more time to find a minder!. I done a warm up with the lads from the club while that was on with both kids running with me! Not the best warm-up ever but did get a decent stretch in. We had plenty of numbers so there wasn't that much pressure on me to run as we were fairly strong.

Once the women's race finished we were called to the start and I held back until the last minute but got the nod to run as I had a few willing volunteers to mind the kids.

I hadn't really seen the course until I got to the start line. The course was very hilly but also very dry and a neat track had been mowed for us to run on. The organisers decided to run the jnuiors - under 19's (or maybe 18's) along with the masters race as both were 5k. The juniors were happy to lurk at the back for the start which I found odd. It was the most civilised start to a cross country race I've ever seen. The start had an immediate hill which pulled the legs so thought I was in for a tough run after doing it the first time knowing I had to do it 4 more times. It was about 500mtrs in before the race settled and the first thing that struck me was that the pace felt slow and nobody wanted to take the front running.

Hit the first lap in third place for masters and 4th overall with one of the juniors on the shoulder of the front runner. Decided not to push to the front as wasn't sure what tactics were at play ahead of me but did resolve to follow anyone who made a move. Pace picked up a small bit on second lap but nothing major and was still feeling comfortable. On the hill on the third lap the pace was quickened considerably and it took me a few seconds to react but after cursing my lack of attention I followed the lead two and was now second masters with the junior lad leading the race. The pace was definitely quickening here and we were all starting to puff hard.

There was a second hill and then a bit of a drag which had the only really mucky bit so was trying to get the breathing and form right for this. Could tell that leading master was finding it tough and the lead junior was now pulling away so decided to follow the junior. The race was definitely on now and a few behind me were also starting to make a move. I didn't dare look back to see what category they were.

By the start of the 4th lap I was in second overall and first master, less than 10metres behind junior lad. By the top of the hill I was on his shoulder and just focused on keeping there as he kept upping the pace. We were neck and neck starting into the last lap.

On the last ascent of the hill, he pushed the pace on again and my legs just couldn't react. In truth the legs were like jelly and I was a bit wobbly cornering. Had a stern talking to myself to keep the focus and use the downhill to recover before the next drag and the mucky bit. Risked a check to see how far back second master was before the mucky bit and could see that he was running strong and gaining on me, along with two juniors who were starting to make a move. This made me lose concentration and I took the worst possible path through the muck and nearly stumbled. I was really vexed with myself and pushed myself hard up the drag to regain lost ground. The legs were now screaming at me and I still had 400mtrs to go with two sharp corners.

I got the head down and just focused on the finish line and running as hard as I could. On the last corner I could feel somebody coming around the outside and tried to put the hammer down but there was nothing more left and he got past me. Thankfully it was one of the juniors and I tried to go with him but he was opening a big gap.

With 200 to go,I risked a quick glance and could see nobody coming close but tried to keep the pace up. Real worry was now that the legs could give out at any stage and nearly done a face plant coming into the finishing chute. Once I stopped to give my name the legs buckled completely and I couldn't even get my name out!! Thankfully someone from the club was able to do the honours for me :). There was plenty of dry retching for a long time after this which just confirmed that I left absolutely nothing on the course.

First masters cross country and first place finish not a bad result!! We also were first team so two gold medals was not a bad haul for a day that started not knowing if I would get to run or not.

So after nearly falling out of love with running, the buzz is back in a big way. It's a funny old game!!

Thats a great performance - Delighted for you, well deserved result - glad that you have the buzz back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Great stuff, well done and congrats - delighted to see things picking up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Good to see you back in it, there was me about to suggest you should train for a marathon as a shift in focus to get the mojo back......................you should train for a marathon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Brilliant performance and a very exciting race report. Well done, you must be delighted. Pesky juniors getting in the way of an overall win :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats BiB. Unlucky not to get the overall win! Thanks to BG for putting this in my head...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats. What a masters debut!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well done! Great comeback. Hope you remembered the kids after it!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^Thanks folks, mojo's definitely back. Thankfully too as means I don't have to worry about training for a marathon so :D:D

Monday 3rd Oct: 2.3miles @ 9:20 avg pace

Very handy recovery run as the legs were completely banjaxed after the xcountry.

Tuesday 4th Oct: 2 easy, 4x200 @ 40sec w/200jg, 2x400 @ 81sec w 400jg, 1x800 @ 2:44 w 800jg, 2x400, 4x200, 2 easy

Wasn't sure about chancing some speedwork but had a day of work so decided to go with this. Done a very easy 2 mile warm-up and plenty of stretching before getting into this. Weather conditions were perfect and soon got into this, hitting the paces without too much fuss. 800 was a bit of hanging on but after the 800 jog was ready for the 400s. Happy out with this as was consistently hitting the paces.

Splits were: 37;39;39;40; 79;81; 2:44; 80;81; 40;39;40;38

Total: 9 miles

Wednesday 5th Oct: 7 mile @ 8:14

Nice and handy run in the forest in beautiful sunshine. Legs felt a wee bit heavy but nothing worth worrying about.

Thursday, Friday, Saturday: Rest

Ended up with a headcold so decided to be sensible and take the few days to recover with half an eye on possibly running Run With Catherina on Sunday.

Sunday 9th October - Run With Catherina 10k: 38:16 (new PB :D)

Finally felt like the head cold was lifting Saturday evening so decided to race Sunday but couldn't make up my mind whether to do the 5k or 10k. Had to go in early to race hq as was getting cones and barriers out on the route and setting up another few things on the route. We got this done in jig time so made a spur of the moment decision to register for the 10k.

Had to do another drive of the 10k route so used this to plan a strategy around the hills!! Headed home for a quick bowl of porridge and then headed back to race hq to warm-up. Had loads of time to spare so was chatting to loads of people and there was a great atmosphere about. Enjoyed chatting to some people I had trained on a couch 2 5k course and were lining up for their first 5k. I had one embarrassing moment when I was chatting to Feidhlim Kelly and some other guy joined us and even though I knew his face very well, I had to ask him his name as I couldn't recall it. Turns out it was Sean Hehir :o:o. Had a great chat with Sean - a true gentleman who had a great run and went on to win the race.

Anyway after all the pleasantries we were led up to the start line and I was feeling good. While waiting around earlier I was reading back on my log here to check my last few 10k's to see what worked/ what didn't when I read a post Firedance had made about mantra's so decided to try it out for this race to see would it keep the demon's out.

Race started out without too much fuss. Route had a generous downhill first 2km before gradually climbing for 2kms, a few sharp hills over the next 2km and a nasty hill after a long drag just after the 7k mark and then it was downhill to the finish.

We had a huge crowd cheering us at the start and I definitely let the pace pick up over the first 400mtrs as the cheers were ringing out. Was in about 13th place after 500mtrs and feeling good. First km beeped at 3:24 which was about 25 seconds ahead of target. It was a nice downhill but still a fair bit on the fast side. Normally this would throw me but I just kept focus on how good I felt and the fact that I was nicely placed in a group of 5. 2nd km flew by with the course leveling out and again here I just focused on staying with the group which was now down to 4 of us and I was the 3rd of 4. Was surprised when watch beeped at 3:43 but again kept the focus and thought of it as time in the bank with the hills to come.

Next 2 km and we were gradually climbing all the time and spent the time trying to keep in a good spot and not get cut away from the group which was now getting strung out. 3:58;3:59

Two of the lads in the group pushed on after the 4km mark and even though it hurt a bit I decided to go with them and hang on. I managed to hang on and it was just the three of us now forging on. I knew there was a hill coming up so decided to up the pace (all the while repeating my "I love hills" mantra). Managed to drop both of them by the time we reached the top of the hill and kept pushing. 3:46

Normally this would be where the going would get tough for me in races and I was in a lonely windy part of the course with no one to work off or chase down. But today I pushed away all those negative thoughts and focused on staying calm and running well. 6th km beeped at 3:48 and was happy with that. I expected to leak time on the next km with the drag and steep hill but just focused on getting up the hill. The legs were in bits when I got to the top of the hill and I was just happy to keep moving. Didn't lose too much time because of it but it was tough going even while repeating "I love hills" over and over!!. 3:54;3:55

Last 2km were flat with a nice generous downhill finish (it rivaled the jingle bells finish) but the legs were in bits so just focused on taking it home. Once I hit a straight I could see the lead female about 100mtrs ahead of me. I did make a bit of an effort to close the gap but she was running very strong. Put the boot down on the last 400mtrs and was thrilled to see 38:16 on the clock as I crossed the line. 3:52;3:47
    I knew I had run well but was genuinely shocked to get a PB on a course like that (first PB in 14 months :eek:). Chatting to Sean Hehir afterwards, he reckoned Dunshaughlin is a minute quicker than the course today and who am I to argue with him!!

Even manged to squeeze into the top ten so not a bad day's running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Back in Black, back with a bang!

Great going J

TbL

Fantastic stuff J, great to see. Some super running the past few weeks, long may it continue for you.

Super stuff - delighted again for you - seen the result earlier (our MSB Cavan superstar was 1st female........no, not that Cavan superstar, the other one....).
    Congrats, well deserved after a tough year.

Super stuff - delighted again for you - seen the result earlier (our MSB Cavan superstar was 1st female........no, not that Cavan superstar, the other one....).
    Congrats, well deserved after a tough year.

Cheers. Yeah what is about MSB claiming all the great Cavan female athletes!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Well done, a pb in drumlin country sounds hard earned! Glad to see things are well back on track of late.

Monday 10th October: 2.4 miles recovery @ 9:22 avg pace

A very handy recovery run around the football pitch after work. The legs were very heavy after the hills so pace was very slow.

Tuesday 11th October: 7 miles @ 8:37 avg pace

5:30 am start for this and was a bit surprised to see a grass frost and was tempted to find the gloves but knew I could waste 10 minutes faffing around trying to find them so headed out without. Sure enough the hands felt like they would fall over after a mile. Still an enjoyable run and the first indication of what's ahead with these early morning runs over the next few months. Winter mile and summer smiles and all that guff!! :P

Wednesday: Rest

Was working late again so decided to can the idea of a speed session at 9:30 pm and figured the legs would appreciate a rest day.

Thursday: 1.5 easy 4x(200@40,200rest, 200@40, 400rest, 800 @ 2:42 w 800 rest) 1.5 easy

I had to wait until after work to get out for this and got changed the minute I got home in case I changed my mind!Done a 1.5mile warm-up followed by some stretching before getting stuck in.

Legs took a bit of convincing to get going but once I finished the first set it was all good. The 200s were fairly comfortable but the last 2 800s were feeling tough.

Was happy enough with this all things considered. Splits were: 39,40, 2:43
    40,40, 2:41
    39,40, 2:45
    40,40, 2:43

Total: 9.5 miles

In other news, have signed up for next target race, which is Seeley Cup 10k in Belfast on 26th November.

Great race, you'll go well J.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Great race, you'll go well J.

Hopefully B. Had planned to do it last year but it was booked out. Are you doing it this year? What's the course like?

Advertisement