Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing the Numbers game: Sub 5;10;17;36;60;80

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Tuesday 2nd January: 10 mile easy @ 8:46 avg pace

Had intended to just do a few miles recovery today but got a call from my usual running buddy for a run. As I hadn't run with him in over a month decided to answer the call. He had planned a longish run so decided to tag along if the pace was handy enough. We headed to the local forest and hit the trails. It was the perfect morning for it and we met loads of people out walking. Started out with hat and gloves as it was -4 degrees starting but soon warmed up and discarded the gloves and hat.

The legs started feeling tired from mile 7 on but nothing to worry about.

Thoroughly enjoyed this run and great to get some bonus miles in.

Also got a decent core workout done so another solid days work.

Will rest the body for the evening watching the darts :)

Tuesday 3rd Jan: 5 mile recovery @ 9:06

Headed out straight after dinner for a gentle recovery run. Have often done a recovery run straight after dinner and generally have no issues apart from a bit of sluggishness (having the constitution of a horse helps!).

However, discovered this evening that running soon after eating fish doesn't work for me - valuable lesson learned!!

On the positive side, it did force me to slow down which was no harm.

Also got a good core workout done!

Wednesday 4th Jan: 4x 1200 @ 4:21 target with 3 min jog recovery.

Was off work today so got out in the afternoon with the young lad down to the track at the local pitch. He brought runners, football boots, a football and the bike so was fairly confident he could entertain himself while I done this.

In the end he ran the slow bits and cycled the fast bits with me so he got a good workout too :D. Distraction and chat was a welcome relief and it meant this flew by and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Started with a 1.5 mile warm up followed by some stretching and then into it. Was happy with this as apart from doing the first 200mtrs too fast, the pace was consistent and I wasn't struggling at any stage. The 3 mins recoveries were nice and generous too.

Splits were as follows:
    4:16
    4:19
    4:20

Another 1.5 mile cool down, more stretching and a kick about with the young lad and back home. Also snuck in a core workout so another good day's work.

Total: 7 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Wednesday 3rd Jan: 5 mile recovery @ 9:06

Headed out straight after dinner for a gentle recovery run. Have often done a recovery run straight after dinner and generally have no issues apart from a bit of sluggishness (having the constitution of a horse helps!).

However, discovered this evening that running soon after eating fish doesn't work for me - valuable lesson learned!!

On the positive side, it did force me to slow down which was no harm.

Also got a good core workout done!

Thursday 4th Jan: 4x 1200 @ 4:21 target with 3 min jog recovery.

Was off work today so got out in the afternoon with the young lad down to the track at the local pitch. He brought runners, football boots, a football and the bike so was fairly confident he could entertain himself while I done this.

In the end he ran the slow bits and cycled the fast bits with me so he got a good workout too :D. Distraction and chat was a welcome relief and it meant this flew by and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Started with a 1.5 mile warm up followed by some stretching and then into it. Was happy with this as apart from doing the first 200mtrs too fast, the pace was consistent and I wasn't struggling at any stage. The 3 mins recoveries were nice and generous too.

Splits were as follows:
    4:19
    4:20

Another 1.5 mile cool down, more stretching and a kick about with the young lad and back home. Also snuck in a core workout so another good day's work.

Total: 7 miles

Can see into the future now........

tang1 wrote: »
    Can see into the future now........

Fixed now :D

Thursday 5th Jan: 4x1mile @ 6:20 pace w 1 min rests

I had an opportunity to get out this afternoon so grabbed it with both hands for this. Headed down to local pitch track again and started out with a 2 mile very easy warm-up, a few quick stretches and then got stuck in.

I knew from the first 400mtrs that this would be a real grit the teeth and get through it session. I was happy with the first one but relieved to be finished it. Then I checked the watch and seen I was 9 seconds too quick!! The 1 min standing recovery was over in a blink of an eye!!

Got through the second one but was really finding it tough on the last 400mtrs.

Had barely got my breath back when it was time to go again and it was really a struggle to get through this rep.

Decided to give myself a 2 min rest before the last one as was no way ready to go after a minute. Got through the 4th rep although I did think that I might lose my lunch a few times on this. Was delighted to finish and was on the hands and knees after this.

The toughest session I've done in a long time but glad to get through it (even if I am slightly annoyed that I needed the extra recovery before the last rep).

Splits were:
    6:11
    6:15
    6:18
    6:15

Done another 2 mile cool down to finish this out (very very slow shuffle :o)

Total: 8 miles

Decided to skip the core workout this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Some tasty splits there J.

Have you still got that poxy mohican? :)

TbL

Some tasty splits there J.

Have you still got that poxy mohican? :)

TbL

Thanks C.

The Mohican only made it to the next day!! It's been a cold winter for me without the hair. Don't know how tang does it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Nice workout that.

I presume it was a LT/tempo due to the short recoveries?
    If it was a LT session was it done too hard - and so became a v02max workout (but with very short recoveries)?

(just asking these questions as I want to encourage debate again in the logs :) )

Nice workout that.

I presume it was a LT/tempo due to the short recoveries?
    If it was a LT session was it done too hard - and so became a v02max workout (but with very short recoveries)?

(just asking these questions as I want to encourage debate again in the logs :) )

Good question.

Its more of a cruise interval session so somewhere between a LT session and VO2 max session. Had to take out the book and dust it off but its meant to be between 83 to 88 percent of VO2 max.

Of course taking an extra minute between the last 2 reps probably negated the intention of the workout but I needed every second of it.

I'm all for debate and it is something that has been lost from logs this last while.

Friday 6th Jan: 5 mile recovery @ 8:50

Headed out yesterday evening for this. Another very mild evening and perfect conditions for a run. Was listening to a podcast which made this fly by and helped keep the pace at recovery rate. Got another decent core workout done before the run.

Saturday 7th Jan:
    AM - 3 mile easy @ 9:50 ish pace

Work duties took me to one of the local Operation Transformation walks so brought the family with me. The young lad missed the bit about it being and walk and hared off the minute it started!! As he didn't know the roads and it wouldn't have been safe to let him off on his own, i had no option but to chase after him. Unfortunately I wasn't dressed for running. Had a fleece on and a coat over it. He managed to maintain a decent pace for the entire thing so I got a decent 3 mile run in chasing him. I also sweated half my body weight given the layers I was wearing.

PM - 6.7 mile easy @ 8:20 avg pace with 8x20sec strides

Had one of those days where everything that needed doing got done early and the kids were wrecked and happy to play together without killing each other so used the opportunity to get out for a run!

Headed to the local forest which is my favourite place to run in the world. I had no plan or target so just headed off on a couple of loops of the trails. Legs had a fair bit of tiredness in them but expected that. Still no problem picking up the pace for the strides.

Managed to squeeze in a decent 20 minutes core this evening.

Total miles for day: 9.7

• Advertisement

Sunday 8th January: 12 mile LSR @ 8:19 avg pace

Set the alarm for 7am, got up at 7:30 am :rolleyes:, got the porridge into me and headed out the door. It was still dark and very foggy starting out and it took a while to get going but once I woke up, the miles started clicking by. Because of the fog I stuck to a makey up route around the mean streets of Cavan which got a bit monotonous but it was a case of needs must this morning - didn't want to risk running the roads with visibility so poor. The pace picked up a wee bit towards the end and I was feeling fresh enough when I finished.

Nice to get this done early and give me the rest of the day, including enjoying Cavan beating Tyrone for the first time in 17 years so not a bad day!!

Splits:
    8:32
    8:28
    8:24
    8:23
    8:30
    8:26
    8:19
    8:26
    8:11
    8:10
    8:10
    7:53

Weekly Total: 56.7 miles (highest ever).
    5 core workouts
    Weight 11st 6 (down 2lbs since 1st Jan)

Jan mileage (to date): 67 miles

Fook me between yourself & snailsong with ye're mass locks of hair and skinny narrow holes no wonder I'm starting to feel TbLesque!!!

Fook me between yourself & snailsong with ye're mass locks of hair and skinny narrow holes no wonder I'm starting to feel TbLesque!!!

Ah here the hair is still a sensitive subject - plus it's growing back the wrong colour!! :(:(

As for my skinny narrow hole - I'm not even going there but am sure TbL will be along soon!! :pac:

Ah here the hair is still a sensitive subject - plus it's growing back the wrong colour!! :(:(

As for my skinny narrow hole - I'm not even going there but am sure TbL will be along soon!! :pac:

At least it's growing back!!!

Monday 9th January: 4.1 mile rec @ 9:16 avg pace

Threw on the gear the minute I got home to get this done. Pace was very handy and body felt the better of it.

Got a 20 minute core workout done afterwards.

Tuesday 10th January: 8 mile easy @ 8:42 avg pace

Had intended to get out first thing but a really bad nights sleep put paid to any chance of that. It meant it was late evening before I got out for this. Ridiculously mild for January again this evening. I kept the pace nice and easy for this as I was feeling fairly tired after a busy day and the poor nights sleep.

Also snuck in a 20 minute core workout.

Wednesday 11th January: 5x1k @ 3:37 with 400 recovery

I had a meeting in Dublin in the afternoon so had to squeeze this in at first light down at the track. It was very windy and even during the warm-up I knew this would be tough as there was a headwind blowing against me with some fairly nasty gusts thrown in for good measure.

Done a 1.5 mile warm-up as time was tight.

The effort levels required for the first rep told me that this would a real toughie. The first 200mtrs split was 48 and the second 200 where the wind wasn't against me was 41 for less effort.

It was tougher as the session went on as the wind picked up so I forgot about the watch and focused on the effort levels. I think I got it mostly right in terms of effort without flogging myself too much.

Splits were:

3:48
    3:44
    3:45
    3:50
    3:49

Finished up with a 1.5 mile cool down for 7 mile total for the day.

Late home from the big smoke so no core work.

Thursday 12th January: 8 mile with 3@6:20 and 4x200 w/200 recoveries

Was way too tired to get out early for this so only option was to get out at lunchtime. Only problem was that it was pelting snow when I was going on. Quite a few work colleagues questioned my sanity when they seen me heading out in the running gear but at least the snow wasn't sticking.

Was rewarded after half a mile with lovely sunshine and a perfect spring day. The two mile easy to start out went very quick. Hit the pace early on and first mile was ok but effort levels were high on the second mile and I was finding it really tough and did consider throwing in the towel. Was really playing mental games with myself to keep going on the third mile and especially so when I realised that the route I picked meant the last 3/4 mile were uphill. I was never as happy to hear a mile beep on the garmin for the end of this bit. Splits were 6:26;6:26;6:37.

I wasn't within an asses roar of hitting the target paces but am reasonably happy for toughing it out.

Done the prescribed 200s with 200 recovery next and hit the target paces comfortably.

A bloody tough session that I hope will stand to me.

Got a decent core workout done this evening after building a snowman with the kids :)

Are you following the Daniels 5k-10k plan? If it isn't its a damn sight close to it.
    I was reading the book last night - thinking myself of following it from phase 2.

I was also reading elsewhere about doing the 200's after a tempo or similar hard workout - its meant to exercise the fast twitch fibers when tired.

Are you following the Daniels 5k-10k plan? If it isn't its a damn sight close to it.
    I was reading the book last night - thinking myself of following it from phase 2.

I was also reading elsewhere about doing the 200's after a tempo or similar hard workout - its meant to exercise the fast twitch fibers when tired.

Yep that's the one alright. I'm on phase 3 of it. The two sessions back to back are tough but will stand to me. Am enjoying the variation too.

Friday 13th January: 3 mile @ 8:13 avg pace

Nearly the end to my running streak!! Frozen footpaths and a mad day at work meant that I couldn't get out before it started to freeze hard again. I knew the footpaths were a no go zone but was determined to run.

Had a moment of inspiration and decided to use the treadmill at the leisure centre while the young lad had his swimming lesson. Got 3 mind numbingly boring miles done while he was swimming. Pretty pleased with my creativity and good use of time :)

Saturday 14th January: 7 mile @ 8:32 avg pace

Had planned on an easy 8 mile run with a few strides thrown in but got a call from running buddy (who I haven't run with for ages) who wanted to do a bit of hill running with quick bits. Decided to go with it as the time suited me and we headed for Mullaghmeen forest.

I'm not sure I would have agreed so readily if I had to know the route he had planned. He wanted to do a recce of the IMRA course which was full of hills. I didn't grumble (much!!) and got stuck in. The idea was to do a warm-up and then 3 x 10 min tempo effort sections. There was some real hills that pulled the legs of me and it got tough on one bit in particular on the second tempo bit. We were reduced to snails pace up the biggest hill on the IMRA course as it was a quagmire and even at walking pace I nearly lost a runner and nearly slid down the hill!!! It was worth it for the views from the top though.

Overall a decent workout and throughly enjoyed it - expected the legs to be heavy tomorrow!!

Squeezed in some more core work this evening too!

Splits:
    9:44
    7:02
    8:14
    7:31
    11:01 (walking pace up slippery hill)
    7:02
    8:45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Boring, yet creative treadmill miles. Full of contradictions! ;)

Nice hill session.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Boring, yet creative treadmill miles. Full of contradictions! ;)

Nice hill session.

Thanks. Yes, it was a necessary evil :D

Sunday 15th January: 13 miles LSR @ 9:01 avg pace

A trip to IKEA was on the agenda today so it meant that I had to get out early to get a long run in. Set the alarm for 6 am and got the porridge into me before calling for running buddy to hit the forest trails.

First time this winter that we headed out with head torches in the forest. We were running for about an hour before we could turn off the torches but it was a lovely mild morning. The legs were tired from yesterday's hills and the going was fairly bogging and tough in places on this.

Started fading a wee bit over the last few miles but delighted to get a 13 mile run done.

Was fairly wrecked after this and managed to sleep most of the way to Dublin (it's ok Mrs BinB took driving duties :)). Thankfully got in and out of IKEA fairly quickly too!

Weekly total: 50.1 miles (just about hit the 50 target :o) January total to date: 117.1 miles

4 core workout
    Weight: 11st 6lbs (no change from last week :()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Tang J doesn't have an arse he has a hole in his neck :)

TbL

Tang J doesn't have an arse he has a hole in his neck :)

TbL

Still managed more miles than both ye clowns this week (and I'm only training for a 5k :D:D)

Still managed more miles than both ye clowns this week (and I'm only training for a 5k :D:D)

What is it they say about junk miles.........

What is it they say about junk miles.........

No such thing.....;)

Monday 16th Jan: 4 mile recovery @ 9:10 avg pace

Headed out as soon as I got home from work from the house through the village. I enjoyed this as it was a chance to zone out after a busy day at work.

Done 20 mins core work too.

Tuesday 17th Jan: 8 miles easy @ 8:42 avg pace w 8 x 15sec strides

Set the alarm for 5:20 am to get out for this. I was rewarded with a beautiful morning for a run. Kept the pace nice and easy and the miles ticked by. Threw in a 8 x 15 seconds strides in over the last mile.

Another 20 minutes core workout this evening.

Wednesday 18th January: 2 easy, 6x800 w/400 rec, 2 easy

Headed down to gaa pitch track at first light for this. Done a 2 mile untimed easy warm-up followed by a few stretches before getting stuck into this.

By the time the warm-up was done, I had already ditched the gloves and rolled up the sleeves!

The target for these was 2:54.

The first had the usual way too fast first 200 before I managed to calm the pace down to something approaching target pace.

2nd and 3rd were good and felt I was in good shape and from was good. Not too much trouble with 4th either but by the 5th rep was starting to feel like I was getting a proper workout! Happy with the 6th and delighted to get this done and how I felt doing it. The paces were very consistent too.

Splits were:
    2:53
    2:54
    2:53
    2:55

Finished with a 2 mile cool down and another few stretches (very few as got interrupted by a long phone call from work so finished up stretching)

Got another decent 20min core workout in this evening.

Thursday 19th January: 2 easy, 5x 1mile @ 6:20 w 1 min rests, 1 easy

Was wary of this one when I seen it on the plan as it looked like a real toughie. Had a window of opportunity to get this done at lunchtime so threw on the gear and headed to the track for this. I usually find these easier on the track but it also suited as I had a meeting after lunch so it worked better.

Done an easy 2 mile followed by a few stretches.

On the first one, a quick check at 200mtrs told me I was too quick, did slow it down but not by much! 6:13

Second and third felt good and strong and wasn't overtaxing me too much. But way too fast!! 6:05 & 6:03

Right Hamstring felt a wee bit tight after the third rep which helped slow me down on fourth one. 6:10

Final rep and I finally got the pacing right 6:18

Done another 1 mile cool down - the plan said something about strides but in the interests of preserving the hamstring I skipped these.

Happy with this even if it was too quick - it was a tough but manageable one.

• Advertisement

Progressing nicely! I'd say you'll have a good year this year.

Advertisement