Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playing the Numbers game: Sub 5;10;17;36;60;80

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

How'd you go today?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Belleek Woods 10km

Belfast last weekend was meant to be my 10k sub 38 attempt but that wasn't to be so decided that this one might do the trick, instead. Course looked favourable with a nice fast finish through Belleek Woods. This time yesterday I was still unsure as to whether I would make the start line, given the weather conditions, but got all the preparations done and set the alarm early to check traffic reports and make sure the race was still going ahead.

Woke an hour before the alarm went off and knowing there was no chance of getting back to sleep, I got up and checked the conditions of the roads and there was confirmation that the race was going ahead. After reading here about the poor communication issues with Clonakilty, it was nice to see the constant updates on facebook from the race organisers. Had the breakfast and got a nice wee boost when I saw the weather forecast for Ballina - perfect running conditions. Decided to hit the road to allow extra time in case of traffic delays due to floods.

Journey was smooth and uneventful and I was down in plenty of time so drove the course as far as where it entered the woods and was happy I had a good idea of what I was facing. Parked up and done a few laps of the new track in Ballina and also done a quick recce of the last 2km of the route which confirmed that it was a nice fast finish.

Was still a bit early for registration but headed there anyway and got registered and had a good chat with the organisers - I think they were well shocked that someone drove from Cavan to do the race. Got my number and was on my way. Got loads of time to do stretching and was feeling more prepared and ready to go that I had for any race before. That was until I noticed that everyone else had an ankle chip (except me that is!). Even that went smoothly as one of the ladies doing registration was walking about with a chip looking for me so was sorted straight away.

Race start went smoothly and I lined up on the front row. Seemed to be a few quick Sligo AC lads doing the race but hard to judge the depth of the field and there wasn't too many club vests in evidence. I was aware that I could be out on my own for a lot of this and thought I was prepared mentally for this. While waiting for the start was chatting to another runner but he said he would be happy just to get around. My plan was simple - run 3:48 the whole way around and see what else was there on the final 2km or so on the downhill.

Race went off and resisted the temptation to tear off and by about 400mtrs in could count 9 people ahead of me. Caught up with the guy who was happy to get around just before the 1k mark (3:43) and ran beside him for a while before I figured he had started too quick and was struggling so moved on and focused on the next runner, who was the leading lady. Knew this would be a tough km from the race profile and my recce of the route so just focused on closing the gap with the leading lady and was just on her shoulder when the 2km beeped for 4:03. Some quick maths told me I was 8 seconds down but wasn't worried as I knew this was the tough part of the course.

Passed the leading lady with ease about 2.5km in. I really didn't want to pass her as I knew it was open road with a huge gap to next runner but she seemed to be going backwards so I passed her and slowed down hoping she might try and latch on but that didn't work either so just headed on. Turned onto the main road shortly after and into a bit of a wind. 3rd km beeped at 3:51 and again was ok with that as knew it could easily be made up on the last few km. The next km or so was horrible as I could see the next runner about 400mtrs ahead and he was widening the gap and was looking strong. I was running slightly uphill and into a bit of a wind so was happy to see the turn off from the main road just before the 5km mark. I was, however, getting concerned that the effort into the wind had taken a lot out of me. I was starting to feel the hurt and was puffing hard. (3:53;3:56). Done some quick maths at the halfway mark which told me I was 24 seconds down on my sub 38 target but that was no big deal as the nice part of the course was still to come and I was still on for a PB even if sub 38 wasn't there.

It would be easy to make excuses about what happened next but that would be a complete cop out and I had 2 hours in the car on the way home to examine what went wrong. I went around in circles so it's best just to be completely honest. I bottled it big time - no excused, no injuries - it started to hurt a wee bit and I just threw in the towel. Simple as that, I passed the water table and when I went around the corner I just started walking. I couldn't give a crap that I had driven half way across the country for a race or that I was in 7th place and was actually doing ok. It started to hurt a bit and I just gave up - allowed self doubt to flood in and started feeling sorry for myself.

Thankfully I heard another runner coming at some point and decided to latch onto them once they were about 10 metres ahead of me. Managed to latch onto them until the last km but was not in a good head place and it was just sheer frustration that kept me going to the 9k mark. (4:18;3:49;3:54;4:04)

As we hit the 9k mark the guy ahead sped up a bit and I'd love to give a happy ending and say that I gritted my teeth and reeled him in or that I gave him a great battle and he just pipped me to the finish line with a powerful kick but I stayed with him until about 300mtrs to go and when he kicked for home, I started to feel sorry for myself again and just let him have it. He finished well ahead of me and I was just relieved to cross the line - disgusted to see 39:35 but as has often been said about this sport - you get out what you put in. I got what I deserved from this race!

I done a quick jog back to the car and changed the gear - couldn't even face going back to the hall. I drove 100miles just to lie down the minute the going got tough so decided to leg it home and put up the Christmas tree with the kids. Was in Longford before I turned on the radio in the car as I was having too good a time wallowing!!

Anyhow, it's done now and there are no excuses. The weather was perfect, my training had been good and the body was fresh and raring to go. The race was really well organised and could not be faulted in any way. Yes, it was tough running out on my own but it still doesn't excuse the complete capitulation.

I was weighing up my options (including taking up chess :D) and I am determined to put this right - I have a sub 38 10km in me and I will keep doing them until I hit that target and beyond until I get it right.

Will let the dust settle and come up with a target race(s) with coach in the next few days.

Onwards and upwards!

Weekly total: 26 miles

tang1 wrote: »
    How'd you go today?

****e!!

Not like you thats all i'll say, learn from it and move on. It was a good workout if nothing else, shame it was such a long drive to do it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

****e!!

Haha, You made no bones about that! sounds like your taking it on the chin and moving on which is the best thing you can do, there's always another chance in running and more time to get it right next time out.

Haha, You made no bones about that! sounds like your taking it on the chin and moving on which is the best thing you can do, there's always another chance in running and more time to get it right next time out.

Took a few hours to get to that point I can tell you!! But you're right there is always the next time out in running and they all can't be good days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

It would be easy to make excuses about what happened next but that would be a complete cop out and I had 2 hours in the car on the way home to examine what went wrong. I went around in circles so it's best just to be completely honest. I bottled it big time - no excused, no injuries - it started to hurt a wee bit and I just threw in the towel. Simple as that, I passed the water table and when I went around the corner I just started walking. I couldn't give a crap that I had driven half way across the country for a race or that I was in 7th place and was actually doing ok. It started to hurt a bit and I just gave up - allowed self doubt to flood in and started feeling sorry for myself.

Onwards and upwards!

Weekly total: 26 miles

this is something I can completely empathise with, it took me a long time to figure out that the voice in my head was just plain wrong, for me, I have to make sure to be positive from the start as once the negative 'you can't, it hurts' comes in, I'm done too. You won't let that happen again. Good on you for the honest report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

It started to hurt a bit and I just gave up - allowed self doubt to flood in and started feeling sorry for myself.

That right there is why so many of us run within ourselves time and time again but I suppose its also why PBs are that bit sweeter when they come around.

Tough going yesterday J but at least you know yourself what you have to do now, onwards and upwards is right

Monday 7th Dec: Rest day but managed to get to circuits class.

Tuesday 8th Dec: 5.5 miles easy @ 9:12 avg pace

Got out in the evening with two of the lads from the club. One of the lads had been off for a few weeks so kept the pace nice and handy. I was happy to keep the pace handy as the legs felt tired and it was a fairly hilly route.

Wednesday 9th Dec: 7 miles with 3 easy,2 steady and 2 @ 7:20

Was joined by my usual running buddy for this. It was after 9 when we got out but at least the rain had stopped by that stage but it was still fairly windy.

The first two miles were very handy and we then picked up the pace a wee bit so it wouldn't be too much of a shock when we started the steady miles. We hit the steady miles and got up to a steady effort fairly easy, helped by the fact that the wind was at our backs and it was downhill. The next mile was mainly uphill so pace went down a wee bit but effort level was similar.

The first of the faster miles was about 75% uphill with a long drag and into the wind. I was feeling like I was working hard on this even if pace doesn't show it. Once we turned the corner we were out of the wind and the pace picked up significantly but the effort was fairly similar to the previous mile. Enjoyed this - it was a nice workout and legs felt like they were getting life back into them. Wind and up and down nature of the route meant pace was all over the place but think I mainly got the effort levels right.

Splits: 9:07;8:54;8:19;7:32;7:54;7:48;7:02

• Advertisement

Thursday 10th Dec: 6.3 miles @ 8:55 avg pace

Headed out in the evening with my usual running buddy. It really was the perfect evening for running - cold but dry and dead calm. The run was over before I knew it with the company and the miles flew by. Legs felt nice and fresh.

Friday 11th Dec: 2.8 miles @ 8:43 avg pace

Had the day of work and spent it in Dundrum carrying shopping bags! Got back at a half decent hour so squeezed this in. Just threw on the gear once I got home and ran from the house - kept the pace nice and handy. Hopefully the legs are ok for a tempo run tomorrow.

Saturday 12th Dec: 8 miles with 4 @ tempo (6:45-6:55)

Original plan was to get up early this morning, have breakfast and then out the door as had loads of jobs planned for me today. The plan changed the minute I looked out the window to a surprise winter wonderland with plenty of snow lying on the ground.

It was still snowing when I finished the breakfast so decided to hold off on the run until the conditions improved. The temperatures never got above 2 degrees all day and with the wind chill it felt even colder.

Eventually got out after lunch but the footpaths were still a mess with slush that was starting to freeze so no alternative to do 32 laps of the pitch. Got a puncture on the way down to the pitch which I had to get fixed as the car has no spare tyre. Ended up needing two new tyres so that took an hour - got some fair strange looks sitting in my running gear in the garage :D.

Was going to take this as an excuse not to run but knew it would annoy me so went back to the pitch to see one corner completely flooded and the only way around the flood was to slow down and go as wide around it as possible - figured this after running through a shallow bit on the first lap and the icy cold water was coming in over the top of my runner. I knew this would make the quicker miles tricky but it was the only way I could get this done and by now pure stubborness had kicked in.

Done two miles warm up (8:14;8:15) before doing a few stretches and getting rid of a few layers.

Made the decision not to look at the watch as the slowing down for the corner was going to disrupt the pace. Managed to resist the temptation to check the watch and the pace was consistent and after 5 or 6 laps i had found the best way to take the corner and it was disrupting my stride less. My knee felt a wee bit sore over the last half mile so decided to reverse the direction for the cool down and knee was fine.

Splits for tempo bit were (6:40;6:41;6:40;6:43) so happy out with that and the consistent pace.

Done a 2 mile cool down run (8:04;8:07) before headed home to a nice warm shower and to dry the runners beside the fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Jazus, that's dedication or a touch of madness J, well done on getting that completed!

TbL

Jazus, that's dedication or a touch of madness J, well done on getting that completed!

TbL

A wee bit of the former and a bucket load of the latter!!

Sunday 13th Dec: 10.4 miles LSR @ 9:29 avg pace

Simply put this was the most miserable run I can ever recall.

It was only 1 degree when I was heading out and I dressed for the cold but not the wet. Had some running tights that I rarely use but it was so cold I decided to use them - I also wore a long sleeve top that's nice and cosy but have never used it in the wet.

Had arranged to do this with my usual running buddy and straight away we were struggling for a route. Our usual forest was inaccessible due to flooding and the footpaths/ roads were still frozen. We decided to try a different forest a bit further away that is on higher ground. It's quite hilly and a loop is just shy of 3 miles so was going to be 4 laps to do the planned 12 miles.

Half a mile in I was soaked to the bone and was regretting the running tights as they were really annoying me. Once they got wet they felt like a ton weight. My top, I also discovered, was not waterproof and I was soaked to the skin. Shortly into the run I went through a deep puddle and my feet were saturated too.

It turned into a fairly miserable run after that and the hills were zapping my energy levels - we also started talking about food - breakfast rolls in particular and hot coffee. That really didn't help either!! So when the chance came to head back to the car just after 10 miles I leaped on it.

Glad I got back to the car as I was shaking with the cold at this stage. Was never a relieved to get in the door after a run and with some difficulty I peeled off my tights (I never thought that I would have occasion to type that sentence :D:D) and headed for the shower. I spent a good 20 minutes under the hot water before I had feeling back in most parts.

Mrs BinB had a steaming bowl of stew ready for me and I started to feel normal after that.

Total weekly mileage: 40 miles

Monday 14th Dec: Rest
    Rest day but got my usual Monday evening circuits class in.

Tuesday 15th Dec: 2 mile easy, 2 x 15mins @ 6:45 w/2min rec, 2 mile easy

Plan had me down for an easy run and had planned to get it done very early but a crap nights sleep ruled that out. Lunchtime was a no go and in the evening I had a work function that involved missing out on my dinner but having some mulled wine and mince pies instead (as you do!).

Got out near 9pm and had pretty much given up on the idea of running but put in a call to running buddy to see what he was doing. As it turned out he was doing a session that was very close to my plan for Saturday so decided to jump in with him.

Done a nice and easy 2mile @ 8:35 before getting stuck into the 15mins @ 6:45. Decided to follow running buddy's lead as my garmin was acting up. He was keeping a consistent pace so was happy letting him lead. Asked him at what I guessed was 10 mins in what was left and nearly cried when he said 8:20 left. Was tough to finish the 15 minutes but glad to get it done and pace was good @ 6:42.

2 minutes rest was over way too quick and the second 15 minutes got tough early on. The stomach was started to rebel a wee bit too so it was a case of hanging on and was pleasantly supplied when I was told we had 3 minutes left. Finished nice and strong and happy enough with an average of 6:46 for the second 15 minutes.

Done another 2 miles cool down for a total of 7.7 miles.

Was delighted to get this done so late in the day and with all external factors considered.

Wednesday 16th Dec - 6.3 miles @ 9:14
    Another late run after another poor nights sleep and a crazy day between work and a few hours in A&E with my young lad (split his head open at school!!). Another missed dinnertime meant a late dinner and then pretty much out the door for this. Unsurprisingly the body was tired giving the last few crazy days so happy to keep the pace nice and handy.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 16th Dec - 6.3 miles @ 9:14
    Another late run after another poor nights sleep and a crazy day between work and a few hours in A&E with my young lad (split his head open at school!!). Another missed dinnertime meant a late dinner and then pretty much out the door for this. Unsurprisingly the body was tired giving the last few crazy days so happy to keep the pace nice and handy.

:eek: crikey, hope he's ok! that looked like a tough session on Tuesday, nice work.

Firedance wrote: »
    :eek: crikey, hope he's ok! that looked like a tough session on Tuesday, nice work.

He was grand thanks - a few paper stitches and he was sorted. He has a great adventure to talk about at school tomorrow!

Yes Tuesday was a toughie - I wouldn't recommend a session after mulled wine (just in case you were thinking of it :D)

He was grand thanks - a few paper stitches and he was sorted. He has a great adventure to talk about at school tomorrow!

Yes Tuesday was a toughie - I wouldn't recommend a session after mulled wine (just in case you were thinking of it :D)

oh good :)

who me?? I don't know what you mean :cool: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Just catching up here... i feel like such a wimp after reading about all those runs in snow, ice, etc. Fair play.

Glad the young lad is ok, trips to A&E are always scary!

Bit of catch up required!

Thursday 17th: Rest - Mental day at work and School play meant there was no opportunity to get any sort of a run in.

Friday 18th: 6 mile easy @ 8:39 avg pace
    A trip to Dublin with work followed by the work Christmas party meant the only way I could get this done was to get up at 5:30 so had the gear ready and got out the second the alarm went off - in other words before I could talk myself out of it!

Was fairly tired so kept the pace real handy.

Saturday 19th: Rest
    Got home from the Christmas party after 4am so yesterday was a complete write off running wise. Spent the day moving as little as possible!!

Sunday 20th: 11 mile @ 8:19
    Another early morning trip to Dublin - this time to see The Snowman with the family meant it was after dark when I got out for this. That means I have to stick to the footpaths around town and a lot of out and back streets until I run out of footpath so the interest and motivation was low for this. Still managed to get 11 miles in - the garmin died after 6 mile so taking the average pace at 6 miles for the rest of the run as I don't think it varied that much!

Weekly Total: 31 miles with 3 rest days :eek:
    Not the greatest week but not going to stress too much about it given the week that was in it. Partying is mainly over so will get the head down for the next few weeks and stick to the plan.

• Advertisement

Monday: 3 miles easy including GOAL mile (5:24)

Very last minute decision to do this as all I had planned for Monday was a 20 min recovery run. Headed over to our rival clubs track for this yesterday evening not really knowing what to expect. Myself and a few of the lads from the club have been talking a fair bit about doing a mile race so it seemed like a good opportunity to set a time to beat next year as none of us had ever raced a mile.

In the end it was just myself and my usual running buddy from the club that headed over. There wasn't many at the track when we got there at 6:45 (event was down to start at 7) and we got a fairly bemused reception when they heard we had traveled 20 mile to do the run. We were then asked, after giving our donations, whether we were going to walk or jog it.:eek::D

I was going to take this as a sign to quit our madness and head off for a recovery run home but decided to do a few laps of the track as we were there anyway. By this stage there was about 50-60 people on the track doing the mile - most walking but a few jogging - there was also a game of football going on in one corner!

Soon after we started doing a few laps, one of the organisers asked us if we would hang around as there were a few of the clubs seniors & masters coming down to race the mile! We couldn't go now as it felt like there was a wee challenge being laid down. :cool:

We kept warm doing a few more laps while the other lads done their warm up. I was hoping that we would wait until the other groups had done their mile and the track cleared a bit before we raced but the majority wanted to go there and then. By this stage there was nearly 100 people on track and most in lanes 1 & 2 so it would be an interesting race. The track is 300metres - which would become important later on :o!

There was six of us in all lined up and I spotted a lad that I've been getting closer and closer to on the track over the last few 3,000mtrs I've done so decided I was going to go with him and try to hang on. I never saw him again until the end of the race - he finished about 9/10 seconds back from me.

We lined up in lanes 3 and 4 and were sent off. After 100mtrs I realised I was way out on my own and when the first 300mtrs was done in 52seconds (mostly in lane 3 too) I realised I had shot off way too quick. I was eventually passed after about 400mtrs - I was in lane 4 weaving through traffic and he somehow found a gap in lane 1 and was off before I could react - I tried to follow but was in a world of suffering.

Spent the next few laps just grinding it out and weaving in and out - thankfully about 70% of people now realised there was a race on and had vacated lane 1. There were still a few kids running in lane 1 and it was difficult to judge my own pace as they were speeding up in short bursts and a few times I did increase speed just to drop. It was also impossible to know where the rest of the field were behind me.

Was no longer checking the watch (mainly as it took such an effort to see it in the floodlights) and realised somewhere between laps 3 and 4 that I had lost count of the laps. Thought I had 400mtrs left when I crossed the start line the next time and was deciding to work through the pain and ramp the speed up as the lead guy was starting to increase his lead on me to about 60mtrs. It was only when he stopped 100mtrs on that I realised that I had done a mile and it was over! Stopped the watch at 5:24 and 1.09 miles! and was in a complete heap but happy enough to finish second.

In many ways it was a bizzare experience given the traffic, losing count of the laps and not having splits feedback - simple maths does tell me the first 300mtrs was way too hot though. Still it was a useful experience and I got a feel for the pain of a 1 mile race. Can't wait to do it properly again sometime soon!!

Tuesday 22nd Dec: Rest - Mrs BinB was working late so no opportunity to get out.

Wednesday 23rd Dec: 7 mile w 3easy, 2 steady & 2@7:20 pace:
    Headed out this evening with my usual running buddy and storm Eva was just starting to pick up. We drove into town to do this and it was hard to keep the car in a straight line at times so we weren't sure what to expect with this. Added in the fact that the legs were still feeling the effects of Monday's exertions and was tempted to turn this into an easy run. However, knowing that tomorrow's running would be done at 7am, we decided to just get on with it!

The legs were starting to feel better after the 3 easy miles so started into the steady miles. The first steady mile was mainly downhill and with the wind on our backs so was a bit quicker than it felt effort wise. (7:33). The second was into the wind but had a generous downhill but again effort felt about right (7:39).

The first of the 7:20 paced miles was into the teeth of the wind and included a long uphill drag so was working hard here but the effort felt about right. Final mile was into the wind as wee but we picked up the pace over the last 500mtrs or so and enjoyed it!. (7:28;7:15)

Legs felt surprisingly good after this and was very happy with the run. The wind and hills made the pace erratic but happy with the effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Just catching up on the log, how do you feel you are progressing, targetting speed or endurance?
    Had similar PB's (master's) myself a few years ago and have gone, 4:57/9:51/16:52/36:00/59:45/1:20:29, so 2 more to hit!
    For me focusing on endurance / tempo work really helped across the ranges and has also enabled me to stay injury free.

What's your 1st target race for 2016?

Best of luck with the training

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Just catching up on the log, how do you feel you are progressing, targetting speed or endurance?
    Had similar PB's (master's) myself a few years ago and have gone, 4:57/9:51/16:52/36:00/59:45/1:20:29, so 2 more to hit!
    For me focusing on endurance / tempo work really helped across the ranges and has also enabled me to stay injury free.

What's your 1st target race for 2016?

Best of luck with the training

Thanks BB and good questions. I'd like to think I'd get near those times in the next 18 months - Wish I had your speed or talent for the sport!

I'm very happy with how I'm progressing. While it may not be fully reflected in my race results, 2015 has been a good running year for me. Endurance was something that was a big weakness in my training but since Myles has come on board my endurance has improved significantly.

At the minute I'm just base building - So a fair bit of tempo and steady work in the plan. That's another huge benefit of having someone that knows what they are doing drawing up a plan and "touches wood" I've had no significant injuries in 2015 (I'm not counting spraining my ankle playing football with my brother as a significant injury :D).

I haven't nailed down race plans just yet but in my head the plan is to focus on 1 mile to 3k for the first 3 months of the year. So I guess the focus will be on speed. I also plan on getting better and more disciplined at S&C work for 2016. County T&F Masters is usually in early March and I would like to be in the medals and very close to 10:00 for that. Would like to do some 3ks in the build up to that - ALSAA series might tie in nicely along with County Spring League.

Itching for a proper crack at a mile too and again ALSAA in February might be a good one to hit.

After that the plan would be to hit 5k to 10k up to mid year and then second half of year target the half marathon.

Thursday 24th Dec: 6.3 miles @ 9:14 avg pace:

Knowing today was going to be mental and I had a list of jobs to do, I arranged to meet running buddy at 7am and was under strict instructions to be home as soon as possible. That bit already took a hit when I had to turn back and take a detour (after executing a 15 point turn on a narrow boreen that was badly flooded).

The rain had stopped by the time we parked up in town for this but the wind was still ridiculous. We kept the pace nice and handy and done a wee loop taking in the hospital. Effort was nice and handy but over the last 2 miles, in particular, it was difficult to maintain forward momentum with the strength of the wind. Still, it was nice to get out early and get this done. Will take a rest day tomorrow before getting out early Stephens Day.

So Happy Christmas to all and see ye on the other side!! :pac:

Friday 25th Dec: Rest Spent the day eating and drinking! :D

Saturday 26th Dec: Rest - see above

Sunday 27th Dec: 10 mile easy @ 8:31 avg pace
    Was travelling down to Kerry early so knew my only opportunity to get a run done would to be get up early and get out. Thankfully the weather was nice and mild so no issue getting out. However, given that a lot of roads were flooded and it was still dark, I had to stick to the footpaths around town. Not the most exciting of routes and a lot of doubling back but was happy to get this done. Pace was nice and comfortable and legs were fresh as daisies (not surprising given the amount of rest days lately :pac:)

Weekly Total: 26.3 mile

Monday 28th Dec: Rest
    I had intended to get out but was literally left holding the baby(s) as was informed that I was minding 4 kids for the evening (all under 6) so running was not an option.

Tuesday 29th Dec: 7. 2 miles @ 8:35 pace
    Another early start as we were leaving Kerry early to outrun the approaching storm. Done this around the empty streets of Listowel starting at 7 am. I picked a route I hadn't run before which kept it interesting and was happy just ticking the miles off at a handy pace.

Wednesday 30th Dec: 10 mile with 3x 2 miles @ 6:45-6:55 pace with 3 min recovery.

Waited until Storm Frank had passed until I headed out for this in the mid afternoon. It was still fairly miserable but I knew there was a lot of flooding on my usual around town routes so wanted to at least start of in daylight.

Wasn't feeling the love for this when I headed out and wore my new running jacket for the first time (I generally avoid running jackets like the plague as it usually feels like I'm running in a sauna after a few mile, but I've had one too many soakings this winter). Decided that the best route would be the hard shoulder of the N3 as it is well drained and has a wide hard shoulder. Of course I didn't factor in the fact that the surface was saturated so even though there was no water lying on the road, every time a car or truck passed I got a lot of spray. Needless to say, I was soaked form the waist down after a mile. First two warm-up miles were done in 8:07 & 7:52.

The first fast bit felt tough to start with and it took a lot of effort for the pace to go under the 7 min mark but decided not too force it too much and waste too much energy. This seemed to do the trick and the last wee bit was a nice downhill taking me off the main road. Splits were 6:55;6:50.

The second set felt a lot more comfortable and seen 6:35 on the watch after a half a mile so took care to pull back a wee bit. Had to step around a few floods during this section but was away from traffic now which was a nice relief. 6:41;6:47

Took every second of the 3 minute recovery as was starting to feel the effort but psychologically I was feeling good having hit the paces for the first two and knew I had broken the back of this. I consciously moderated the pace starting out on this one as I knew I would be in a world of pain if I went out too quick. Still the last mile was a real effort and was working hard. 6:53;6:50

Done the two cool down miles in 8:21 and 8:04 before getting into the car for home and a nice warm shower.

Overall was delighted with this as had been trying to find excuses not to do it and it looked like a toughie on paper so it was a nice wee confidence booster to get it done.

Thursday 31st Dec: 6 mile easy @ 8:20 avg pace

Final run of 2015 was a rare lunchtime run. Got my timing wrong and ended up getting soaked to the bone for my troubles. Legs felt a bit creaky and I was generally tired after a few pints last night. Legs loosened up a wee bit the further on I went.

Month|2013|2014|2015
    January|57|177.2|181.18
    February|78|87|166.4
    March|87.45|148.25|135.5
    April|125.7|120.5|172.95
    May|117|94.45|167.25
    June|105|144.5|130.43
    July|125.5|182.5|174.06
    August|125.5|182.6|200
    September|112.5|140.5|62.8
    October|160.5|142|78.15
    November|148|88.5|166.25
    December|144.5|145.88|146.5
    Total|1386.65|1653.88|1781.47

So another year done and dusted. I had hoped to hit the 2,000 mile mark and probably would have if I hadn't missed so much during September and October.

Highlights of the year were:
    5k PB of 17:48, breaking 1:30 for the half in Bohermeen and winning masters category gold for 3,000mtrs at county track and field and helping club to win county road championship (while getting lost in my race :o).

Lowlights were not making significant inroads into my 10k time and missing the cross-country season for the club.

Happy New Year! :)
    Loving forward to 2016 and loads of PBs all around.

Friday 1st Jan: Rest

Typical New Year's Day - done a half an hours worth of stretching and foam rolling which was well overdue. There was nothing specific bothering me but I was generally feeling tight and a bit creaky. Need to do more of this in 2016. I also started doing a 30 day S&C challenge to give me a bit of focus to do more S&C. It mainly consists of squats, push-ups, sit-ups, crunches, cobras and planks increasing in toughness over the 30 days.

Also stepped on the scales which confirm that I have a few pound to lose after the Christmas!

Saturday 2nd Jan: 6 mile easy @ 8:30 avg pace

Headed out at 7 am as was going to Dublin for a bit of open wallet surgery (aka Shopping with the family :pac:). I knew it wasn't raining but still wore the warm gear and was boiling after half a mile. It was about 8 degrees and dead calm -could even hear the birds singing and it felt more like spring than 2nd January. I kept the pace nice and handy and enjoyed the run. Legs were thanking me for the foam rolling and felt fresh.

Done another 20 minutes stretching and foam rolling, followed by Day 2 of the S&C challenge.

• Advertisement

Sunday 3rd Jan: 10 mile including County Senior XCountry Championships: (45:15)

This was never part of the plan until very very late in the day. Having missed all of the cross country season I was more than happy to leave the racing to the fast lads, but a couple of defections meant that I got the call to run. I was hoping, when I woke up this morning to the rain hammering on my bedroom window, that this might be called off and was checking my phone every few minutes for a text to confirm this. None arrived so I got my ass in gear and headed out the door. I had never run the course before (usual one was under a foot of water) but was told it was very hilly but dry!.

It was indeed very hilly and a warm-up lap of the course (lap was 1.6k) also told me it was very wet and was cutting up in places. I done a few strides on a part of the course and nearly landed on my face so didn't try that again.:o Thankfully, the defections didn't materialise and we had a strong first four so this took the pressure off me.

The women's senior race was the first of the day and I could see that some of the corners were treacherous and the course was very slippy in places. What I didn't like either was running across the slippy slopes which were an ankle injury waiting to happen. Once I knew our top four were running I decided that I would focus on trying to be 5th home for the team (8 of us in team altogether).

There was about 25-30 runners in all with 4 clubs having full teams and I could see straight away that there was serious quality runners lined up with 2 former all Ireland champions, an Ironman winner and a further 4/5 sub 16 5kers.

I ran a conservative first lap in a bunch of about 5 of us, which included 2 other teammates. I was nice and relaxed and just finding my way about the course. After a couple of slippy right angle corners I decided that I wanted to get out of traffic and said this to a teammate running beside me. I left the group and expected at least the teammate to follow me but nobody really made much of an effort so from the 2nd lap I was out of my own trying to reel in the next guy and hold of two guys behind me.

By the end of lap 3 my legs felt dead from the mud and I was beginning to think I migh not be able to keep the legs working for the full race. This threw me a bit as it was a new feeling in a 10k race - I've hurt in 10k races before but have never felt like I mighn't actually make the full distance.

The hills and the muck were really zapping the legs and there was no place to even think about recovering. Thankfully I wasn't the only one suffering and even though I consciously eased off after nearly sliding off the course on a few occasions, I was holding the lads behind me off and not letting the lad ahead of me open the gap any wider.

I rallied for the last few laps and was making real inroads on the guy in front of me and when I heard the leader coming up behind me to lap me I hatched a plan to follow him and sneak up on the guy ahead of me but the ground was just too treacherous to get any kind of momentum going and unfortunately just ran out of clear ground to catch him.

I'm not sure of my final position but I was our 5th man home and I finished a lot closer to lads who would be well ahead of me normally so fairly pleased with that. I was 4 minutes slower than the same race last year (different course) which I think is a fairly accurate reflection of how tough the course and conditions were. We also finished in the silver medals place and the club won the overall cross country trophy so not a bad day out.

Weekly total: 39.2 miles

Nice going J, no doubt that will stand to you in the months ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Deadly report and well done! Sounds very similar to my experience, especially the zapping power of mud on the legs! Can't imagine doing that for 10k....sheesh!

All the chat I had today with fellow masters invariably came back to niggle avoidance and stretching. I don't think you're a master yet but stretching is definitely key, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Certainly didn't look like there was much dry land in Cavan yesterday, that sounds like a tough course and day out. Good on you for not giving in.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Deadly report and well done! Sounds very similar to my experience, especially the zapping power of mud on the legs! Can't imagine doing that for 10k....sheesh!

All the chat I had today with fellow masters invariably came back to niggle avoidance and stretching. I don't think you're a master yet but stretching is definitely key, isn't it?

Am definitely in the masters category!! Yeah this was my completely unprepared for season opener for xcountry so the leg zapping was quite a shock to the system.

Agree about the stretching - think a long overdue sports massage might be on the cards for me this week. Might keep me one step ahead of the niggles.

Well done again on your fantastic performance today.

annapr wrote: »
    Certainly didn't look like there was much dry land in Cavan yesterday, that sounds like a tough course and day out. Good on you for not giving in.

Ha we have doubled the amount of lakes in the last few weeks (as if we didn't have enough to start with). Even public transport has been badly hit - one poor woman had to run home from Dublin Christmas Eve it was so bad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done J - sounds like a real slog out there, fair play to you and well done on the silverware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice one, well done.

well done! team medal too :) super stuff

• Advertisement

Monday 5th Jan: Rest

Was moving gingerly all day and with plenty of sound effects!! Managed to get Day 4 of S&C challenge done so happy enough with that.

Tuesday 6th Jan: 6 mile easy @ 8:38 avg pace

A nice and early 5:30 am start rewarded with another perfect morning for running, slight breeze, 6 degrees and dry with birds singing! Body felt a bit creaky starting off but things started loosening up as the miles went by. Only residual soreness is around the shins/ankles from running across the slopes at the Cross country while trying to stay upright.

Wednesday 6th Jan: Rest

I had a progression run in the plan and had hoped to do it early but footpaths were very icy so thought better of doing that. Then planned to do it with 2 of the lads from the club after circuits class but the heavens opened and it was fairly wild and windy so when the 2 other lads bailed out, I decided to do likewise :o:o. Still got circuits done so all was not lost and Friday was down as a rest day so will just swop it to Wednesday.

Thursday 7th Jan: 7 mile progression run

Plan had me down for 3 easy, 2 @ steady, 2 @7:20.

Went out this evening with my usual running buddy. It was freezing hard and footpaths were a bit slippy in places but dead calm and didn't feel too cold. I enjoyed this and felt I hit the effort levels pretty much bang on. 2nd last mile had a long 400mtr drag that made it look slower than it was. Body felt ok as well - a wee bit of residual tiredness in the legs from the cross country but nothing major.

Actual paces were - 9:13;8:57;8:14;7:38;7:45;7:29;7:07 - not bang on the money pace wise but not exactly TbLesque in terms of missing the pace completely either tongue.png

Also managed to complete day 6 of 30 day S&C challenge too so not a bad day's work :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Also managed to complete day 6 of 30 day S&C challenge too so not a bad day's work :).

where you get this?? (I can recall asking a similar question last year :rolleyes:)

where you get this?? (I can recall asking a similar question last year :rolleyes:)

It's an app for windows phone I use - it's the free version so loads of ads but other than that I like it.

Link here: (hopefully it works) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.davor.thirtydayfit

Friday 8th Jan: 6 mile easy @ 9:16 pace

A crazy day and taking the young lad to swimming meant that it was late getting out for this and the icy footpaths. Headed out with my usual running buddy and we had to keep the pace down as the paths were very slippy in places. It was bitter cold so was glad of the hat and gloves. Miles flew by with the chat and company.

Saturday 9th January: 2 easy, 4 @ 6:45 to 6:55, 2 easy

I managed to get out early in the afternoon for this and it was still bitter cold but dry and calm. Was a bit tired heading into this after a broken nights sleep. Because of this I was a bit nervous about whether I could hit the right paces.

The first two miles were all about getting properly into the frame of mind to do this and was happy that the pace was decent and felt ok. I did struggle to hit the target pace and the watch was showing 7:02 after quarter of a mile but knowing that this was the toughest bit of the route and the wind was picking up a bit and was into my face, I didn't force the issue. So I wasn't too bothered when I saw the first mile was 6:57. Done a turn back for home after the next mile and it felt a lot easier then with the wind at my back and it was net downhill.

I was struggling for energy a wee bit on the last easy mile but putting that down to the lack of sleep and the pace was a wee bit hotter than it should have been for easy miles. Overall happy out with this run. It would have been easy to avoid doing it but am glad I got it done.

Splits were: 8:00;7:50;6:57;6:49;6:47;6:44;7:53;7:52

• Advertisement

Sunday 10th Jan: 10 mile LSR @ 9:28 avg pace :eek: with 4x30sec strides:

Looking back doing a fairly tough 30 minute core workout straight before this mighn't have been my brightest idea ever.

I headed out straight afterwards with my usual running buddy who seems to take perverse pleasure in finding the hilliest routes possible for LSR's. Today he excelled himself and picked a particularly lumpy one in a forest park. The going was also very tough on some of the trails, where it was quite boggy and we always seemed to be going up a hill.

Still in all, I enjoyed the run and although it was bitter cold, the weather was good. We met loads of people out running and walking the trails. I was surprised that the legs didn't protest more during the strides but they seemed to relish the change in pace. Still glad to get this done and back to a warm shower!

Weekly total: 37.1 miles

Monday 11th January: 2.9 mile @ 8:53 avg

Plan had me down for 20 minutes recovery so headed out straight after work with "Hunky Dory" on the iPod. Just ran from home until the streetlights ended and doubled back to the other end of town until I ran out of streetlights again. Enjoyed this and just kept the pace nice and handy. Followed up with a fair bit of stretching and Day 9 of the S&C challenge.

Have now, after consultation with coach, decided on Armagh 3k as next goal race on the 18th February.

Monday 11th January: 2.9 mile @ 8:53 avg

Plan had me down for 20 minutes recovery so headed out straight after work with "Hunky Dory" on the iPod. Just ran from home until the streetlights ended and doubled back to the other end of town until I ran out of streetlights again. Enjoyed this and just kept the pace nice and handy. Followed up with a fair bit of stretching and Day 9 of the S&C challenge.

Have now, after consultation with coach, decided on Armagh 3k as next goal race on the 18th February.

That the same night the 5k is ran up there, they get some field for that every year.

tang1 wrote: »
    That the same night the 5k is ran up there, they get some field for that every year.

It is indeed. Unfortunately I don't have the qualifying time for the 5k ;) but bonus will be to see that race. 3k also gets a high quality field so hopefully might drag me around.

Tuesday 12th Jan: 7 mile easy at 9:17 avg pace

A really handy paced run with my usual running buddy along the usual route through town. Footpaths were slippy and it was fairly raw so the pace was nice and pedestrian. Had no time to do core work.

Wednesday 13th Jan: 2 mile easy, 6x 800 w/2:30 rec, 2 mile easy

Headed out late this evening, down to the local gaa pitch track, with my usual running buddy and my head torch! It was bitterly cold but I felt better after a nice and gentle warm up of 2 miles.I didn't have the garmin with me so it was untimed. We made an executive decision to try not to hammer the reps and aim for consistent effort which we definitely achieved. The pace was really consistent throughout and the effort felt good. Really felt that I could have done 3/4 more at that pace. Having company also helped and it made this fly by. It started sleeting neat the end so we were happy to finish this off.

Splits were: 3:07;3:06;3:02;3:06;3:06;3:08

• Advertisement
Advertisement