Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playing the Numbers game: Sub 5;10;17;36;60;80

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Sunday 11th Dec: 10 mile with 9 @ MP

Was dreading this when I seen it on the plan. Wasn't helped by having to do it early this morning after a few beers the night before. Had no choice though to get out early so just went with it.

Legs were picking up the pace on the first mile so rather than pulling back gradually got up to MP after 0.5 mile and kept going. First few miles were grand but had a wee wobble after 3 miles when I considered pulling the plug but toughed it out. Started enjoying myself then but was definitely running out of gas for last 2 miles.

Still delighted with this as it was a real toughie and I stuck it out.
    Splits for MP bits
    6:41
    6:40
    6:52
    6:45
    6:48
    6:39
    6:54
    6:51
    6:53

Weekly total: 43.25 miles and 2 core sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Thats a quality run there J - well done for toughing it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Nice MP there! Very good session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

MP? Whats this now!!??

MP? Whats this now!!??

Ha Ha. It's ok I'm not secretly planning a marathon. :pac:

Monday 12th Dec: 3.5 miles @ 8:49 avg pace

A very creaky recovery run straight after work. Was a bit overdressed too and legs were mullered.

Tuesday 13th Dec: 8miles @ 8:37 avg pace

Headed out with one of the lads from the club and it was a perfect evening for running. Really enjoyed this and the run flew by. Legs were feeling a bit livelier.

Wednesday 14th Dec: 8 miles with 5 x (200,200,400)

Was heading out straight after work with the work crew so snuck this in at lunchtime. Started with a 1.5 mile warm-up run and a quick stretch. Started to feel tough on 4th set and I was getting fairly tired by then and the legs were feeling heavy. Still a good session to get done.

Recoveries where 200,400,200

Splits:
    38;39;79

Total: 8 miles

Thursday 15th Dec: Rest

Friday 16th Dec: 8 miles with 4x 1miles @ 6:20 target @ 4x200mtrs

I had intended to do this at lunchtime at the track to make it a wee bit easier on myself but everything conspired against me so ended up heading out at 7 o clock before I got dinner into me and was dreading it by the time I started.

As it was dark I was confined to my undulating route around town and knew this would make it more difficult to hit the paces. Done 2 mile warm -up and sure enough started the first fast mile on a steep uphill section. Knew I shouldn't focus on pace so tried to concentrate on effort. Was glad to hit the 1 min recovery after the first one but it was the quickest 1 min ever. 2nd and 3rd were more on a even surface and again the last started with 0.6 mile up a long drag which zapped the legs!! Done 1 mile very slow before the 4 x 200 over the last mile.

A tough session that I made harder than I should have so glad to get it done even if the paces were a bit off! :rolleyes:

Splits for quick miles: 6:28;6:23;6:15; 6:37

Saturday 17th Dec: 7 mile easy @ 8:22 avg pace

Was down in Kerry for this so it was nice to head out in the sunshine in the afternoon after landing and enjoyed the change of scenery. The legs felt heavy so didn't push the pace.

Sunday 18th Dec: 10.75 miles @ 8:36

Got out in Kerry at first light and was rewarded with a cracking morning. Perfect conditions for running and again enjoyed exploring new routes.

Weekly Total: 45.25 miles but no core work :mad:

Time for a bit of a catch up to bring 2016 to a close!

Monday 19th Dec: 3 mile recovery @ 9:07 avg pace

A gentle recovery run from the house down to the pitch, few laps and back home.

Tuesday 20th Dec: 9 mile @ 9:15 avg pace
    Nice few easy miles with a few lads from the club.

Rest of the week went to the dogs between work, social events and Christmas!

Monday 26th Dec: 5 mile @ 8:26 avg pace

Got out nice and early for this. A lovely mild morning for a run and nice to get it done early.

Tuesday 27th Dec: 8mile @ 8:14 avg pace

Out at the crack of dawn to get this done as we were travelling to Kerry first thing. Another perfect morning for running

Wednesday 28th Dec: 2 easy, 3x3 mins @ HMP w/ 2min rec, 4x2 mins @ HMP w/ 2 min rec, 2 easy

Still down in Kerry so done this around Listowel. Didn't put too much thought into my route which meant I seemed to be constantly hitting hills on the fast bits. Still managed to consistently hit the paces. A tough wee workout but enjoyed it.

Total 8 miles @ 8:07 avg pace

Thursday 29th Dec: Rest

Friday 30th Dec: 2 easy, 10x400 @ 81 w/ 400rec, 2 easy

Was expecting this to be a real toughie but it went surprisingly well. I knew after about 3 that I was in the zone and it flew by. Happy to more or less hit the pace everytime without too much difficulty.

Splits were: 78, 82,80,80,81,79,80,82, 80,79

Total: 9 mile

Saturday 31st Dec: 8 mile @ 8:27 avg pace

Headed out mid morning for this and another ridiculously mild morning. It was 12 degrees heading out so just wore a short sleeve top and no gloves or hat and was still feeling overdressed!!!

Enjoyed the run and went home and cut the grass afterwards!

December Total: 161.5 miles

Happy New Year to all and hope 2017 brings loads of PBs

Month|2013|2014|2015|2016
    January|57|177.2|181.18|180.8
    February|78|87|166.4 | 98.6
    March|87.45|148.25|135.5 |142.65
    April|125.7|120.5|172.95 | 159.05
    May|117|94.45|167.25 | 171.65
    June|105|144.5|130.43 | 171.91
    July|125.5|182.5|174.06 | 148.45
    August|125.5|182.6|200 | 224.15
    September|112.5|140.5|62.8 | 152.9
    October|160.5|142|78.15 | 120.2
    November|148|88.5|166.25 | 71.7
    December|144.5|145.88|146.5 |161.5
    Total|1386.65|1653.88|1781.47|1803.56

2016 wasn't a great year running wise and seeing the bald figures shows the lack of consistency and that I didn't really push on from 2015. Missing weeks at crucial times of the season didn't help and had a lot of poor races which knocked the confidence.

Looking at the positive, I did manage a small PB at 10k in October and won the Masters XCountry (also in October).

I'm happy to see the back of 2016 and looking forward to the New Years

• Advertisement

Sunday 1st January: 10 miles with 9 at MP.

Nothing like starting the New Year with an easy one! :D

After a generous amount of alcohol last night I was a wee bit wary of this one but knowing I had knocked the same one out a few weeks ago, decided to go for it this morning.

It was the coldest morning in quite a while when I was setting out and broke out the new running gloves I got in the winter sales. Somehow they have shrunk since I tried them on in the shops and they are an extremely tight fit. Still by the time I hit the turnaround point I didn't need them anymore so they did what was needed!

As for the run itself, I was comforted by the fact that the previous attempt at this was fresh in the head and I expected it to feel tough for the first third and it proved so. Again the middle bit just flew by and I was fairly comfortable. When the watch beeped for a 7:03 mile, I increased the pace without any difficulty even though I was keeping the target fairly fluid between 6:50 to 7:00.

Delighted with this and felt strong apart from the first few miles. Done 6 strides at the end in spite of the protests from the legs.

Splits for MP miles:
    6:50
    6:47
    6:49
    6:42
    6:57
    6:45
    7:03
    6:47
    6:53

Total: 10.3 miles

Also managed to squeeze in a core session so not a bad start to the year.

Running targets for January are:
    1. Hit 200 miles for the month
    2. Do a 10mile @ MP run at least once
    3. Get weight down to 11st (+/- 2lbs)
    4. Do at least one race
    5. Do core work 4 days a week
    6. Do at least one long run of 14 miles

Tuesday 2nd January: 10 mile easy @ 8:46 avg pace

Had intended to just do a few miles recovery today but got a call from my usual running buddy for a run. As I hadn't run with him in over a month decided to answer the call. He had planned a longish run so decided to tag along if the pace was handy enough. We headed to the local forest and hit the trails. It was the perfect morning for it and we met loads of people out walking. Started out with hat and gloves as it was -4 degrees starting but soon warmed up and discarded the gloves and hat.

The legs started feeling tired from mile 7 on but nothing to worry about.

Thoroughly enjoyed this run and great to get some bonus miles in.

Also got a decent core workout done so another solid days work.

Will rest the body for the evening watching the darts :)

Tuesday 3rd Jan: 5 mile recovery @ 9:06

Headed out straight after dinner for a gentle recovery run. Have often done a recovery run straight after dinner and generally have no issues apart from a bit of sluggishness (having the constitution of a horse helps!).

However, discovered this evening that running soon after eating fish doesn't work for me - valuable lesson learned!!

On the positive side, it did force me to slow down which was no harm.

Also got a good core workout done!

Wednesday 4th Jan: 4x 1200 @ 4:21 target with 3 min jog recovery.

Was off work today so got out in the afternoon with the young lad down to the track at the local pitch. He brought runners, football boots, a football and the bike so was fairly confident he could entertain himself while I done this.

In the end he ran the slow bits and cycled the fast bits with me so he got a good workout too :D. Distraction and chat was a welcome relief and it meant this flew by and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Started with a 1.5 mile warm up followed by some stretching and then into it. Was happy with this as apart from doing the first 200mtrs too fast, the pace was consistent and I wasn't struggling at any stage. The 3 mins recoveries were nice and generous too.

Splits were as follows:
    4:16
    4:19
    4:20

Another 1.5 mile cool down, more stretching and a kick about with the young lad and back home. Also snuck in a core workout so another good day's work.

Total: 7 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Wednesday 3rd Jan: 5 mile recovery @ 9:06

Headed out straight after dinner for a gentle recovery run. Have often done a recovery run straight after dinner and generally have no issues apart from a bit of sluggishness (having the constitution of a horse helps!).

However, discovered this evening that running soon after eating fish doesn't work for me - valuable lesson learned!!

On the positive side, it did force me to slow down which was no harm.

Also got a good core workout done!

Thursday 4th Jan: 4x 1200 @ 4:21 target with 3 min jog recovery.

Was off work today so got out in the afternoon with the young lad down to the track at the local pitch. He brought runners, football boots, a football and the bike so was fairly confident he could entertain himself while I done this.

In the end he ran the slow bits and cycled the fast bits with me so he got a good workout too :D. Distraction and chat was a welcome relief and it meant this flew by and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Started with a 1.5 mile warm up followed by some stretching and then into it. Was happy with this as apart from doing the first 200mtrs too fast, the pace was consistent and I wasn't struggling at any stage. The 3 mins recoveries were nice and generous too.

Splits were as follows:
    4:19
    4:20

Another 1.5 mile cool down, more stretching and a kick about with the young lad and back home. Also snuck in a core workout so another good day's work.

Total: 7 miles

Can see into the future now........

tang1 wrote: »
    Can see into the future now........

Fixed now :D

Thursday 5th Jan: 4x1mile @ 6:20 pace w 1 min rests

I had an opportunity to get out this afternoon so grabbed it with both hands for this. Headed down to local pitch track again and started out with a 2 mile very easy warm-up, a few quick stretches and then got stuck in.

I knew from the first 400mtrs that this would be a real grit the teeth and get through it session. I was happy with the first one but relieved to be finished it. Then I checked the watch and seen I was 9 seconds too quick!! The 1 min standing recovery was over in a blink of an eye!!

Got through the second one but was really finding it tough on the last 400mtrs.

Had barely got my breath back when it was time to go again and it was really a struggle to get through this rep.

Decided to give myself a 2 min rest before the last one as was no way ready to go after a minute. Got through the 4th rep although I did think that I might lose my lunch a few times on this. Was delighted to finish and was on the hands and knees after this.

The toughest session I've done in a long time but glad to get through it (even if I am slightly annoyed that I needed the extra recovery before the last rep).

Splits were:
    6:11
    6:15
    6:18
    6:15

Done another 2 mile cool down to finish this out (very very slow shuffle :o)

Decided to skip the core workout this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Some tasty splits there J.

Have you still got that poxy mohican? :)

TbL

Some tasty splits there J.

Have you still got that poxy mohican? :)

TbL

Thanks C.

The Mohican only made it to the next day!! It's been a cold winter for me without the hair. Don't know how tang does it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Nice workout that.

I presume it was a LT/tempo due to the short recoveries?
    If it was a LT session was it done too hard - and so became a v02max workout (but with very short recoveries)?

(just asking these questions as I want to encourage debate again in the logs :) )

Nice workout that.

I presume it was a LT/tempo due to the short recoveries?
    If it was a LT session was it done too hard - and so became a v02max workout (but with very short recoveries)?

(just asking these questions as I want to encourage debate again in the logs :) )

Good question.

Its more of a cruise interval session so somewhere between a LT session and VO2 max session. Had to take out the book and dust it off but its meant to be between 83 to 88 percent of VO2 max.

Of course taking an extra minute between the last 2 reps probably negated the intention of the workout but I needed every second of it.

I'm all for debate and it is something that has been lost from logs this last while.

Friday 6th Jan: 5 mile recovery @ 8:50

Headed out yesterday evening for this. Another very mild evening and perfect conditions for a run. Was listening to a podcast which made this fly by and helped keep the pace at recovery rate. Got another decent core workout done before the run.

Saturday 7th Jan:
    AM - 3 mile easy @ 9:50 ish pace

Work duties took me to one of the local Operation Transformation walks so brought the family with me. The young lad missed the bit about it being and walk and hared off the minute it started!! As he didn't know the roads and it wouldn't have been safe to let him off on his own, i had no option but to chase after him. Unfortunately I wasn't dressed for running. Had a fleece on and a coat over it. He managed to maintain a decent pace for the entire thing so I got a decent 3 mile run in chasing him. I also sweated half my body weight given the layers I was wearing.

PM - 6.7 mile easy @ 8:20 avg pace with 8x20sec strides

Had one of those days where everything that needed doing got done early and the kids were wrecked and happy to play together without killing each other so used the opportunity to get out for a run!

Headed to the local forest which is my favourite place to run in the world. I had no plan or target so just headed off on a couple of loops of the trails. Legs had a fair bit of tiredness in them but expected that. Still no problem picking up the pace for the strides.

Managed to squeeze in a decent 20 minutes core this evening.

Total miles for day: 9.7

• Advertisement

Sunday 8th January: 12 mile LSR @ 8:19 avg pace

Set the alarm for 7am, got up at 7:30 am :rolleyes:, got the porridge into me and headed out the door. It was still dark and very foggy starting out and it took a while to get going but once I woke up, the miles started clicking by. Because of the fog I stuck to a makey up route around the mean streets of Cavan which got a bit monotonous but it was a case of needs must this morning - didn't want to risk running the roads with visibility so poor. The pace picked up a wee bit towards the end and I was feeling fresh enough when I finished.

Nice to get this done early and give me the rest of the day, including enjoying Cavan beating Tyrone for the first time in 17 years so not a bad day!!

Splits:
    8:32
    8:28
    8:24
    8:23
    8:30
    8:26
    8:19
    8:26
    8:11
    8:10
    8:10
    7:53

Weekly Total: 56.7 miles (highest ever).
    5 core workouts
    Weight 11st 6 (down 2lbs since 1st Jan)

Jan mileage (to date): 67 miles

Fook me between yourself & snailsong with ye're mass locks of hair and skinny narrow holes no wonder I'm starting to feel TbLesque!!!

Fook me between yourself & snailsong with ye're mass locks of hair and skinny narrow holes no wonder I'm starting to feel TbLesque!!!

Ah here the hair is still a sensitive subject - plus it's growing back the wrong colour!! :(:(

As for my skinny narrow hole - I'm not even going there but am sure TbL will be along soon!! :pac:

Ah here the hair is still a sensitive subject - plus it's growing back the wrong colour!! :(:(

As for my skinny narrow hole - I'm not even going there but am sure TbL will be along soon!! :pac:

At least it's growing back!!!

Monday 9th January: 4.1 mile rec @ 9:16 avg pace

Threw on the gear the minute I got home to get this done. Pace was very handy and body felt the better of it.

Got a 20 minute core workout done afterwards.

Tuesday 10th January: 8 mile easy @ 8:42 avg pace

Had intended to get out first thing but a really bad nights sleep put paid to any chance of that. It meant it was late evening before I got out for this. Ridiculously mild for January again this evening. I kept the pace nice and easy for this as I was feeling fairly tired after a busy day and the poor nights sleep.

Also snuck in a 20 minute core workout.

Wednesday 11th January: 5x1k @ 3:37 with 400 recovery

I had a meeting in Dublin in the afternoon so had to squeeze this in at first light down at the track. It was very windy and even during the warm-up I knew this would be tough as there was a headwind blowing against me with some fairly nasty gusts thrown in for good measure.

Done a 1.5 mile warm-up as time was tight.

The effort levels required for the first rep told me that this would a real toughie. The first 200mtrs split was 48 and the second 200 where the wind wasn't against me was 41 for less effort.

It was tougher as the session went on as the wind picked up so I forgot about the watch and focused on the effort levels. I think I got it mostly right in terms of effort without flogging myself too much.

Splits were:

3:48
    3:44
    3:45
    3:50
    3:49

Finished up with a 1.5 mile cool down for 7 mile total for the day.

Late home from the big smoke so no core work.

Thursday 12th January: 8 mile with 3@6:20 and 4x200 w/200 recoveries

Was way too tired to get out early for this so only option was to get out at lunchtime. Only problem was that it was pelting snow when I was going on. Quite a few work colleagues questioned my sanity when they seen me heading out in the running gear but at least the snow wasn't sticking.

Was rewarded after half a mile with lovely sunshine and a perfect spring day. The two mile easy to start out went very quick. Hit the pace early on and first mile was ok but effort levels were high on the second mile and I was finding it really tough and did consider throwing in the towel. Was really playing mental games with myself to keep going on the third mile and especially so when I realised that the route I picked meant the last 3/4 mile were uphill. I was never as happy to hear a mile beep on the garmin for the end of this bit. Splits were 6:26;6:26;6:37.

I wasn't within an asses roar of hitting the target paces but am reasonably happy for toughing it out.

Done the prescribed 200s with 200 recovery next and hit the target paces comfortably.

A bloody tough session that I hope will stand to me.

Got a decent core workout done this evening after building a snowman with the kids :)

Are you following the Daniels 5k-10k plan? If it isn't its a damn sight close to it.
    I was reading the book last night - thinking myself of following it from phase 2.

I was also reading elsewhere about doing the 200's after a tempo or similar hard workout - its meant to exercise the fast twitch fibers when tired.

Are you following the Daniels 5k-10k plan? If it isn't its a damn sight close to it.
    I was reading the book last night - thinking myself of following it from phase 2.

I was also reading elsewhere about doing the 200's after a tempo or similar hard workout - its meant to exercise the fast twitch fibers when tired.

Yep that's the one alright. I'm on phase 3 of it. The two sessions back to back are tough but will stand to me. Am enjoying the variation too.

Friday 13th January: 3 mile @ 8:13 avg pace

Nearly the end to my running streak!! Frozen footpaths and a mad day at work meant that I couldn't get out before it started to freeze hard again. I knew the footpaths were a no go zone but was determined to run.

Had a moment of inspiration and decided to use the treadmill at the leisure centre while the young lad had his swimming lesson. Got 3 mind numbingly boring miles done while he was swimming. Pretty pleased with my creativity and good use of time :)

Saturday 14th January: 7 mile @ 8:32 avg pace

Had planned on an easy 8 mile run with a few strides thrown in but got a call from running buddy (who I haven't run with for ages) who wanted to do a bit of hill running with quick bits. Decided to go with it as the time suited me and we headed for Mullaghmeen forest.

I'm not sure I would have agreed so readily if I had to know the route he had planned. He wanted to do a recce of the IMRA course which was full of hills. I didn't grumble (much!!) and got stuck in. The idea was to do a warm-up and then 3 x 10 min tempo effort sections. There was some real hills that pulled the legs of me and it got tough on one bit in particular on the second tempo bit. We were reduced to snails pace up the biggest hill on the IMRA course as it was a quagmire and even at walking pace I nearly lost a runner and nearly slid down the hill!!! It was worth it for the views from the top though.

Overall a decent workout and throughly enjoyed it - expected the legs to be heavy tomorrow!!

Squeezed in some more core work this evening too!

Splits:
    9:44
    7:02
    8:14
    7:31
    11:01 (walking pace up slippery hill)
    7:02
    8:45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Boring, yet creative treadmill miles. Full of contradictions! ;)

Nice hill session.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Boring, yet creative treadmill miles. Full of contradictions! ;)

Nice hill session.

Thanks. Yes, it was a necessary evil :D

Sunday 15th January: 13 miles LSR @ 9:01 avg pace

A trip to IKEA was on the agenda today so it meant that I had to get out early to get a long run in. Set the alarm for 6 am and got the porridge into me before calling for running buddy to hit the forest trails.

First time this winter that we headed out with head torches in the forest. We were running for about an hour before we could turn off the torches but it was a lovely mild morning. The legs were tired from yesterday's hills and the going was fairly bogging and tough in places on this.

Started fading a wee bit over the last few miles but delighted to get a 13 mile run done.

Was fairly wrecked after this and managed to sleep most of the way to Dublin (it's ok Mrs BinB took driving duties :)). Thankfully got in and out of IKEA fairly quickly too!

Weekly total: 50.1 miles (just about hit the 50 target :o) January total to date: 117.1 miles

4 core workout
    Weight: 11st 6lbs (no change from last week :()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Tang J doesn't have an arse he has a hole in his neck :)

TbL

Tang J doesn't have an arse he has a hole in his neck :)

TbL

Still managed more miles than both ye clowns this week (and I'm only training for a 5k :D:D)

Still managed more miles than both ye clowns this week (and I'm only training for a 5k :D:D)

What is it they say about junk miles.........

What is it they say about junk miles.........

No such thing.....;)

Monday 16th Jan: 4 mile recovery @ 9:10 avg pace

Headed out as soon as I got home from work from the house through the village. I enjoyed this as it was a chance to zone out after a busy day at work.

Done 20 mins core work too.

Tuesday 17th Jan: 8 miles easy @ 8:42 avg pace w 8 x 15sec strides

Set the alarm for 5:20 am to get out for this. I was rewarded with a beautiful morning for a run. Kept the pace nice and easy and the miles ticked by. Threw in a 8 x 15 seconds strides in over the last mile.

Another 20 minutes core workout this evening.

Wednesday 18th January: 2 easy, 6x800 w/400 rec, 2 easy

Headed down to gaa pitch track at first light for this. Done a 2 mile untimed easy warm-up followed by a few stretches before getting stuck into this.

By the time the warm-up was done, I had already ditched the gloves and rolled up the sleeves!

The target for these was 2:54.

The first had the usual way too fast first 200 before I managed to calm the pace down to something approaching target pace.

2nd and 3rd were good and felt I was in good shape and from was good. Not too much trouble with 4th either but by the 5th rep was starting to feel like I was getting a proper workout! Happy with the 6th and delighted to get this done and how I felt doing it. The paces were very consistent too.

Splits were:
    2:53
    2:54
    2:53
    2:55

Finished with a 2 mile cool down and another few stretches (very few as got interrupted by a long phone call from work so finished up stretching)

Got another decent 20min core workout in this evening.

Thursday 19th January: 2 easy, 5x 1mile @ 6:20 w 1 min rests, 1 easy

Was wary of this one when I seen it on the plan as it looked like a real toughie. Had a window of opportunity to get this done at lunchtime so threw on the gear and headed to the track for this. I usually find these easier on the track but it also suited as I had a meeting after lunch so it worked better.

Done an easy 2 mile followed by a few stretches.

On the first one, a quick check at 200mtrs told me I was too quick, did slow it down but not by much! 6:13

Second and third felt good and strong and wasn't overtaxing me too much. But way too fast!! 6:05 & 6:03

Right Hamstring felt a wee bit tight after the third rep which helped slow me down on fourth one. 6:10

Final rep and I finally got the pacing right 6:18

Done another 1 mile cool down - the plan said something about strides but in the interests of preserving the hamstring I skipped these.

Happy with this even if it was too quick - it was a tough but manageable one.

• Advertisement

Progressing nicely! I'd say you'll have a good year this year.

Friday 20th January: 5 mile easy @ 8:17 avg pace

Brought the gear to work vowing to get out at lunchtime if the opportunity arose. Just about managed to get out. Done a nice 5 mile loop close to the office and kept the pace easy and the miles ticked by. Nice dry day for it with a bit of sunshine thrown in too.

Squeezed in a 20 min core workout too so all good.

Saturday 21st January: 8 mile easy w/8 x 15sec strides @ 8:20 avg pace

Strange one this as headed out in the early afternoon full of beans and was looking forward to listening to a podcast I'd been saving (Richie Sadlier interviewing Luke Fitzgerald). Normally I zone out after a mile or so doing this and run is over before I know it. However I stopped to answer the call after 4 mile and once I started again I felt zapped and the rest of run turned into a real trudge. Pace didn't drop and strides were comfortable but I just felt zapped. Decided to take it handy for the rest of the day and skip core. (still had to install lights in my princesses room!)

Sunday 22nd January: 11.2 miles w 10 at MP with 4x 15 sec strides

I had been looking forward to the challenge of this but was a wee bit wary of it after previous day's run. Got out early and it was perfect for running - bone dry and dead calm. It was normal January cold and definitely needed the gloves though. Done a 1 mile easy and then got stuck into the MP bit. Dialled into the right pace straight away (was aiming for 6:50 to 6:55) and kept it there. Felt nice and comfortable early on and the miles flew by. Was doing an out an back route so when I hit the 5 mile mark and feeling good I knew I had this one in the bag. Apart from a long drag on the 8th mile where the legs were feeling the effort, this was comfortable. Added on a wee bit to get the strides done.

Splits for MP were: (avg 6:53)
    6:50
    7:01
    6:43
    6:55

Absolutely delighted with the consistency of the splits and the relative comfort of this. I really feel runs like this will bring me on massively.

Weekly total: 52.3 miles January to date: 169.4 miles
    5 x core workouts
    Weight: 11st 3.5 (down 2.5lbs from last week :))

Fupping woman's weight!!!! Nice week that J, solid run today.

looking forward to listening to a podcast I'd been saving (Richie Sadlier interviewing Luke Fitzgerald).

really enjoyed that - need more of this on 2nd Captains.
    He has a great style about him.

really enjoyed that - need more of this on 2nd Captains.
    He has a great style about him.

Agreed - it would be great if it was a weekly slot. Listened to his interview with Stephen Elliott today and I enjoyed it too.

Agreed - it would be great if it was a weekly slot. Listened to his interview with Stephen Elliott today and I enjoyed it too.

oh yeah - great running btw :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Monday 23rd Jan: 4 mile rec @ 9:12 avg pace

Slow recovery miles were the order of the day. Headed out after my dinner from the house and kept to the footpaths around the village. Perfect evening for running.

Skipped the core to give the body a full recovery day.

Tuesday 24th Jan: 8 mile easy @ 8:29 avg pace w/ 9 x15sec strides

Had set the alarm for 5:20 knowing this was my only chance to run today as I was heading down country for a conference.

A really crap nights sleep meant it was a real struggle to get out the door but eventually sucked it up and got out. Pace was nice and handy and another perfect morning for running. Gloves were discarded by end of mile 3. Legs woke up and were feeling fresher than expected. Meant to do ten strides but ran out of road so overcame my OCD and left it at 9 strides.

Done a good 20 minute core workout when I got back from conference.

Wednesday 25th January:

AM: 1.5 easy, 4 x 1,200 @ 4:21 w/400rec, 1 easy

Another day spent on the road meant I had to be creative to get this done. A wee window of opportunity arose at lunchtime, between meetings, so I grabbed it. Kept the warm-up to 1.5 miles to save a wee bit of time and got stuck into the reps.

It was very gusty down at the track so knew that would be a factor with the times so the focus was on effort.

First one saw me start way too quick (as usual) but pace eventually settled down. Form was good and was feeling good on this. 4:20

Second was reasonably comfortable apart from a few strong gusts and it was difficult to keep the form good into the wind. I also had to go round a few obstacles which slowed me down! I was now sharing the track with someone running with a buggy so had to go the long way around them 4:22

Wind was ridiculous at times and again was struggling with it. Starting to find this tough now. Still had company 4:25

Happy this was the last and wind had picked up again. 4:26

Finished off with a 1 mile cool down and legged it back to work after a quick shower.

Total: 6.5 miles

PM: 4mile @ 8:42 avg pace

Was bringing the young lad to Athletics training so took the opportunity to get a nice and easy recovery run in. legs felt fresher than I would have expected.

Total for Day: 10.5 miles

Thursday 26th January: Rest

Well it had to end sometime and my running streak which started just after Christmas finally came to and end. I had a crazy day and wasn't home until after 9pm so canned the idea of going out just for the sake of it. Missed the core work too.

Friday 27th January: 8 mile easy @ 9:00 avg pace with 8x15sec strides

One missed day nearly became two as another few opportunities to run passed me by. Eventually got a window to get out but it meant I had to forgo my dinner. Started out slow enough and got slower the hungrier I felt as I went on :pac:. Did perk up a wee bit for the strides and nearly ate the kitchen table when I got home!

Saturday 28th January: 2 mile easy, 1 mile @6:20; 2 mile @ 6:20, 1 mile @ 6:20, 2 mile easy.

I got a call from usual running buddy (who I've barely run with lately) enquiring about my running plans. Told him the plan and he sounded interested so picked him up and headed to the forest trails. I knew going for the trails would make this tougher so decided to focus on effort and not obsess with hitting the pace.

We done a nice and easy warm up 2 mile @ 8:52 followed by some stretching.

The first one started well with a bit of a downhill but then we started climbing and had a few drags to contend with. Still the effort felt about right, even if the legs were complaining. Was very glad when the watch beeped for the first mile. 6:36 seemed about right for the effort level with the hills. Had a 2 min rest during which running buddy told me he would struggle to hold that pace for 2 mile and not to wait for him.

Too soon I was into the 2 mile section and within 100mtrs running buddy was far behind. This made it a wee bit tougher mentally to do this. This was on a similar loop to previous mile and again the legs were getting zapped by the hills and drags. Was shocked when the mile beeped as I genuinely thought I had gone a lot further and just missed the beep. Hit the start of the loop at about 1.4 miles and it was a real mental battle to keep going. Had plenty of thoughts about throwing in the towel but kept going. Was very happy with splits of 6:25 & 6:27 for this.

I was tempted to take longer than the prescribed 1 min rest but resisted. Started this at the bottom of the hill and the legs were screaming at me but I kept going. This mile seemed to take in the worst of the hills and was happy to catch running buddy with about 400mtrs to go and he finished it out with me - keeping me honest and was a nice distraction from the hurt in the legs. 6:36

Finished up with a nice and gentle 2 mile cool down run.

Even though I missed the target pace, given the terrain and conditions, I'm delighted with this and in particular toughening out the 2 miles.

Manged to get back on the core wagon with a decent workout this evening.

Best of luck to everyone doing Raheny tomorrow.

Sunday 29th Jan: 14 mile LSR @ 8:08 avg pace

Had to get out early for this but planning wasn't the best the previous night and was up way too late and didn't have the greatest nights sleep. Really had to drag myself out of bed which is unlike me. It was still dark and reading -2 on the car when I left the house and had to defrost the car before driving into town. Thankfully the roads were dry so didn't have to worry about slippy footpaths.

I struggling to get going and felt fairly sluggish for the first while. The legs were tired from yesterdays efforts too. I eventually woke up and got into a rhythm (thawing out helped :)). Miles clicked by after that and the pace picked up as the miles went by.

Happy with this as it was the longest run in a good while. I didn't drink enough water afterwards and felt the effects of that along with being very tired. Took it easy for the rest of the day with nothing more strenuous than making jigsaws with the kids.

Still wrecked this evening so listened to the body and skipped the core workout. Will have an early night tonight too.

Weekly Total: 52 miles - Jan to date 221.4

2 x core workouts :mad:

Weekly weigh in 11st 3lbs (down 1/2 lb)

Monday 30th January: 3.6 miles rec @ 9:12 avg pace

Was wrecked tired all day and worried I was coming down with something so took this very handy when I got out after work. Skipped the core to give the body a break.

Tuesday 31st Jan: 7 miles easy @ 8:52 w/ 10x15sec strides

A great nights kip and I was a new man. Got out after dinner tonight so was forced to keep the pace handy but no issues with this. Was pressed for time so went for 7 instead of usual 8. Threw in the 10 strides over the last mile or so and legs felt fresh enough.

Got a decent 20 minute core in so back on track on that score.

• Advertisement
Advertisement