Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused about flying to US through Heathrow

Options
  • 07-11-2015 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the awkward title, don't start many threads lol. Any ways, I'm travelling to Las Vegas in December alone for a few days, departing from Dublin, then connecting through Heathrow then Dallas Fort-Worth until I land in Vegas, same route on the way back in reverse. I'm happy enough with the connection times but I've a few question hopefully someone can answer since I've never been to the States before, and have never travelled abroad alone.

1) I bought the flight and hotel package on Expedia, and the flight ticket is with American Airlines. However, the flight from Dublin to Heathrow is operated by British Airways, so do I check in at Dublin with AA or BA?

2) What's the process for baggage claim? I know for sure I have to claim in Dallas upon arrival there due to customs, but have I to collect as well in Heathrow and re-check? Also, what is the process for re-checking baggage after customs in the US? Do I just leave it onto a certain conveyor or do I have to go back to the desk?

3) If any leg of the journey is delayed, what's the story there? Will they put me on another flight (or flights if it's one of the earlier ones which would cause me to miss the next one) and will it cost anything extra? I'll have travel insurance though so not as worried about any charges.

If someone could help me out that'd be sound! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

1) BA (you always check in with the first airline on your itinerary)

2) If Dallas if your first stop in the USA, you'll need to collect/bring through customs/re-check from what I recall. The good news is re-check checks are just after customs. From Dublin, you bags will be checked through to Dallas - you need do nothing at Heathrow.

3) As you booked it all as one trip, if there are delays the airlines will accommodate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Thanks very much, I'm a big worrier when it comes to small details like this, so I can sleep easier tonight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Vegas is not a town for a big worrier!

The alcohol will help that quite a bit though! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

martyos121 wrote: »
    Sorry for the awkward title, don't start many threads lol. Any ways, I'm travelling to Las Vegas in December alone for a few days, departing from Dublin, then connecting through Heathrow then Dallas Fort-Worth until I land in Vegas, same route on the way back in reverse. I'm happy enough with the connection times but I've a few question hopefully someone can answer since I've never been to the States before, and have never travelled abroad alone.

1) I bought the flight and hotel package on Expedia, and the flight ticket is with American Airlines. However, the flight from Dublin to Heathrow is operated by British Airways, so do I check in at Dublin with AA or BA?

2) What's the process for baggage claim? I know for sure I have to claim in Dallas upon arrival there due to customs, but have I to collect as well in Heathrow and re-check? Also, what is the process for re-checking baggage after customs in the US? Do I just leave it onto a certain conveyor or do I have to go back to the desk?

3) If any leg of the journey is delayed, what's the story there? Will they put me on another flight (or flights if it's one of the earlier ones which would cause me to miss the next one) and will it cost anything extra? I'll have travel insurance though so not as worried about any charges.

If someone could help me out that'd be sound! :)

1) Check in at the BA desk. AA and BA are part of the Oneworld Alliance and they will check your bag and give you boarding passes for the entire trip, presuming the DFW to LAS leg is with American Airlines too.

2) Your bag will be checked through from Dublin to Dallas, then rechecked before you clear CBP. Then you have to go through security again yourself and onwards to your flight connection

3) Yep, they will put you on the next available flight(s), again presuming you are flying AA on the last leg as well. I think in the case of a third party booking, it's them you have to contact if there are any problems.

edit; what Buffybot said. Took me the guts of an hour to type that, supposed to be working! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

as above assuming it's all on the one ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Buffy summed it up well

When I fly to Ireland its always on Delta, the international leg of the trip is great because all drinks including alcohol are FREE!!! So check with BA, maybe they have a similar policy.

Post back after the trip and tell us all about your Vegas adventures

Buffy summed it up well

When I fly to Ireland its always on Delta, the international leg of the trip is great because all drinks including alcohol are FREE!!! So check with BA, maybe they have a similar policy.

Post back after the trip and tell us all about your Vegas adventures

Free you say....:)....btw the transatlantic legs are with AA, BA is just Dublin-Heathrow and Heathrow-Dublin. Hopefully they will have that policy also, I'll be sure to post here when I'm back. Thanks for the advice people! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

The alcohol will help that quite a bit though!
    Have you ever considered how you will evacuate an aircraft once you have drank yourself silly?

Advertisement