Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on costs ?

Options
  • 08-11-2015 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

Dublin 9 based

I would appreciate a ball park idea of what people would think would be the cost for each of following items.

Work to "good standard" (appreciate that final specs / fit out can influence prices).

1. Existing Extension - demolish/remove flat roof extension (estimate size 15 ft x 13 ft)

2. New Extension - build new extension across back of house, sloped roof, velux windows in roof, floor/ceiling glass doors at end over looking garden. For the purpose of this assume size is 40 m2.

3. Wiring - rewire complete house including fuse board. ample supply of plugs, lights including dimmer lights where required

4. Heating - replace boiler and radiators and replace with new radiators (hall, sitting room, living room, extension, 3 bedrooms,) (Radiator in sitting window is curved to match bay window)

5. Windows - replace windows throughout house - sitting room, hall, bay bedroom window (sliding sash type window), bedroom (2 single sliding sash type windows), bedroom (window currently 3 foot width and replace with a wider window of 5-6 feet width and widen wall to fit), bathroom (window huge (was bedroom) and replace with smaller window no more than 5 feet wide and reduce hole in wall to fit)

6. Insulate house

7. Soundproof house with neighbours (2 walls downstairs and 2 walls upstairs - estimate each wall circa 13/14 feet long and normal height)

8. Bathroom - intend to replace bathroom suite and this cost will depend on fittings and tiles selected. Approx cost for tiling of bathroom ?

9. Roof - remove slates from roof, insulate and replace slates (and replace slates where broken in process)

10. Painting of house throughout including new extension mentioned above. House excluding extension circa 1400 sq ft.

11. Floors - polish, sand and varnish wooden floors

12. French doors - replace sliding patios doors in living room with french doors which will now open into the new extension

13, double doors between sitting room and living room currently open into living room. Replace (using same doors) with sliding door system which slides back into wall (so build out "box" into living room to have the doors in)

14. Intend to engage architect for plans, specs, tendering and project overview and certification

Thoughts, comments, recommendations, warnings all appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

What type of insulation? Cavity fill/internal/external. (External is the most expensive but you don't have the issue of thermal bridging that people worry about with internal insulation). If it's an old house there may not be a cavity to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

Roselm wrote: »
    What type of insulation? Cavity fill/internal/external. (External is the most expensive but you don't have the issue of thermal bridging that people worry about with internal insulation). If it's an old house there may not be a cavity to fill.

House is 1930s I would estimate
    Semi detached
    Internal insulation to front of house and probably external to back of house (as downstairs will be covered mostly by new extension)

RoryW wrote: »
    House is 1930s I would estimate
    Semi detached
    Internal insulation to front of house and probably external to back of house (as downstairs will be covered mostly by new extension)

If you are thinking about internal so as not to alter the finish at the front, this is not an issue as they re-create the original finish eg even with brick they just use what I think are slips of brick.
    Also as regards cost, if you're getting the internal and external done at the same time (which is something I enquired about for my own house) they said I might as well get all external as the price ends up about the same.
    This is because a large amount of the cost of external is the price of the scaffolding. So even if you only have half external, the scaffolding still needs to be ordered.

You might be looking at Eu7,000+ for insulation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

If you are thinking about internal so as not to alter the finish at the front, this is not an issue as they re-create the original finish eg even with brick they just use what I think are slips of brick.
    Also as regards cost, if you're getting the internal and external done at the same time (which is something I enquired about for my own house) they said I might as well get all external as the price ends up about the same.
    This is because a large amount of the cost of external is the price of the scaffolding. So even if you only have half external, the scaffolding still needs to be ordered.

yes thats what I was thing re the front but would doubt they could recreate the old red brick front hence the internal for the front. Also suspect may need planning permission if i adjusted the front
    You might be looking at Eu7,000+ for insulation

thanks

RoryW wrote: »
    yes thats what I was thing re the front but would doubt they could recreate the old red brick front hence the internal for the front. Also suspect may need planning permission if i adjusted the front

You're right about the brick in that they can apparently only clad in brick slips to 8feet so if your entire front wall is brick that wouldn't be an option. Found it on Energyquarter.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement