Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torvalds unsecured Kernel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I'm not sure what the title of this thread actually means. Nor am I sure what point you're trying to make by posting a couple of URLs and nothing else :confused:

If you're trying to criticise Torvalds or the Linux kernel, get in line. There are plenty of people who are ready and willing to do that.

Certainly, the Linux kernel, like all pieces of software most certainly does contain bugs and vulnerabilities. Show me a piece of software that doesn't. Microsoft and Apple are not and have not been without their own vulnerabilities. Additionally, I would hazard a guess that the more popular routes to attack are application - not OS - vulnerabilities (not to say that they don't exist and are not being exploited).

The ransomware article said - in the first para, I think - that the ransomware needed root privileges to work. If, through lack of knowledge or care, a user allows an untrusted application to run with root privileges, then the first place I would point my finger would not be Linux.

Advertisement