Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwanted Uploads....What to do..?

Options
  • 08-11-2015 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭

Over the last week or so, I have noticed a huge increase in upload traffic on my computer. I have Windows Vista. "McAfee" tells me that my computer.. "is safe". I have a good idea of my normal traffic usage, and this is getting on for twice the normal amount.

Does anyone have any advice/tips on how to find out what is being uploaded, how to stop the unwanted uploads, and how to delete what has been uploaded ?

Many thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Rigsby wrote: »
    Over the last week or so, I have noticed a huge increase in upload traffic on my computer. I have Windows Vista. "McAfee" tells me that my computer.. "is safe". I have a good idea of my normal traffic usage, and this is getting on for twice the normal amount.

Does anyone have any advice/tips on how to find out what is being uploaded, how to stop the unwanted uploads, and how to delete what has been uploaded ?

Many thanks. :)
    Has your downloads increased too? Do you have dropbox/google drive or similar that might be updating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

You need to get off Vista ASAP. Its a flawed version of Windows with many security issues. Try and move to Windows 7 or 8 and then upgrade to 10 for free.

I haven't seen anyone running Vista for years. Does it even get updates anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RossD12

Download & run MalwareBytes for free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. :)

@FrostyJim : No. It's just the uploads that have increased. Dont Have Drop Box. Not sure about Google Drive.

@Simdan : Thanks. I will take your advice.

@RossD12: Ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Rigsby wrote: »

@FrostyJim : No. It's just the uploads that have increased. Dont Have Drop Box. Not sure about Google Drive.

Not sure about with vista but microsoft have been foisting their onedrive cloud product on people too. It seems to want to save your new documents to the cloud automatically until settings are ammended.

But yeah, as a rule of thumb if you are connected to the internet then get rid of vista.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

simdan wrote: »
    You need to get off Vista ASAP. Its a flawed version of Windows with many security issues. Try and move to Windows 7 or 8 and then upgrade to 10 for free.

I haven't seen anyone running Vista for years. Does it even get updates anymore?

Vista is still supported, not much different to 7 when patched up these days. The early driver issues are mostly gone

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Thanks again for the replies. :) I will certainly take all the advice offered. Having said that, I am curious because I have being using "Vista" for years without any problems. So why has this problem just surfaced now ? Is it perhaps because up to now, I have simply been lucky ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

yoyo wrote:
    Vista is still supported, not much different to 7 when patched up these days. The early driver issues are mostly gone
    yoyo wrote:
    Nick

Yeah, I understand. But updating to a current OS is recommended for a better and safer experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Post a screenshot or two of installed programs menu, that may help us narrow it down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

TCPView can show real time sources of traffic:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/tcpview

It may not be that newbie friendly however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Hi there,

You could have utorrent and qbitorrent r applications running in background,go to run type in msconfig and turn off whatever applications are cause the problem

* be very carefull running msconfig if you dont know what your doing google it*

As rest have said vista os dreadfull upgrade to windows 7 its most sercure and easy to use.hope i helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

simdan wrote: »

FFS, some of the advise given out on this forum is just awful, Vista, once kept up to date is just as secure as any other supported OS. The fact that you even have to ask if it still gets updates verifies you don't know what you are talking about.

99% of these issue as actually down to the user installing a program themselves.

OP, download and run MalwareBytes as others have said and report what it says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I guess there is nothing like nethogs for windows to monitor per-process network traffic?

http://nethogs.sourceforge.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

davo2001 wrote: »
    FFS, some of the advise given out on this forum is just awful, Vista, once kept up to date is just as secure as any other supported OS. The fact that you even have to ask if it still gets updates verifies you don't know what you are talking about.

+1

Vista is supported by Microsoft until well into 2017 (and will get any required security updates until then). I'm all for using the latest and the greatest OS myself, but there is nothing wrong with Vista with SP2 and fully patched.

To say it is not secure is a load of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think you can get windows 10,free at the moment .
    IF You don,t mind all your web browsing data being sent to microsoft .
    It looks like an os designed by the nsa or fbi.
    IF i had an old pc i,d leave vista on it anyway.
    I do,nt see much advantage to windows 10 on an old pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

riclad wrote: »
    I think you can get windows 10,free at the moment .
    IF You don,t mind all your web browsing data being sent to microsoft .
    It looks like an os designed by the nsa or fbi.
    IF i had an old pc i,d leave vista on it anyway.
    I do,nt see much advantage to windows 10 on an old pc.

Terrible advise and based on totally unfounded tittle-tat.

Windows 10 is only free if you update from a genuine win 7/8/8.1 install.
    MS does not collect ALL your browsing data, it collects meta data.
    Win 10 was developed by Microsoft (thought everyone knows that!)
    Vista is far less secure than Win10
    My experience on 'old' pc's is different from yours, totally fine...

If you are going to make claims, please back up with proof :cool:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Lets get back on topic lads. No more Windows 7 vs 10 vs Vista. I appreciate I am guilty going off topic earlier in the thread but lets get back on topic now! :)

Nick

Advertisement