Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carna Co Galway

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Can you fire up a link to the story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Anti Anorak

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Can you fire up a link to the story?

irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/a-30-year-old-mystery-in-carna-holds-on-to-its-secrets-1.2420584

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Not terribly hard to come up with a theory by reading between the lines of that account.

Slightly more difficult to understand the apparent lack of Gardai response. Of course if she had been French....

Lack of Gardaí response is pretty normal in these places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Anti Anorak

If it was 1935 I could understand but 1985 wasn't that long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There must have been no mention of it at all in the news at the time, I never remember hearing anything at all about it.

Although it doesn't say it straight out in the article what happened it's kinda obvious what is being hinted at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

If it was 1935 I could understand but 1985 wasn't that long ago.

It's a bit like dog years compared to human years. In parts of Ireland it's still 1735 let alone 1935.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Story is well known in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭john.han

Less to do with "these places" and more to do with the presence of two off duty Gardai at the party at which she was last seen I'd suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Orange Pants

Rural Ireland was such a bleak place back then, The Ann Lovett tragedy would have been around then as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

lived in galway last 40 years and never heard this story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Carna is still a bit of wild place. The people that know what happened are probably still there.
    Gairda station got petrol bombed there to a few years back. All the locals know who did it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Orange Pants

somefeen wrote: »
    Carna is still a bit of wild place. The people that know what happened are probably still there.
    Gairda station got petrol bombed there to a few years back. All the locals know who did it

A Sargents uniform went missing from the same station a few weeks before it was burned down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 William Murphy Smith

This cover-up will feature on Prime Time tonight @ 9.30pm. This first time it has ever been covered on television

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Tis a grand wee country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

somefeen wrote: »
    Drugs packages regularly floating undetected from the magic sea to shore
    http://connachttribune.ie/no-arrests-after-70-thousand-euro-worth-of-cocaine-is-washed-up-on-ballyconneely-beach-090/
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ireland-used-as-drugs-gateway-to-britain-1581182.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Connies are extremely strange and superstitious people.

Of course our current garda commissioner is from the area too ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Crazy story, my first time hearing it! That her sibling was told it was a "domestic affair" and the husband never referred to her again sounds ominous, but that could well just be the author injecting in some drama. I hope they find out what happened to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭topcat72

Connies are extremely strange and superstitious people.

Amadán.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

etselbbuns wrote: »

The second story you linked to is
    (a) 22 years old
    (b) Refers to a drug seizure in Kilkenny
    (c) Was caused by a Garda Intelligence operation that went wrong

What either story you have linked has to do with the presumed murder of the woman in Carna is beyond me.

Crazy story, my first time hearing it! That her sibling was told it was a "domestic affair" and the husband never referred to her again sounds ominous, but that could well just be the author injecting in some drama. I hope they find out what happened to her.

The never referring to her again thing is strange. I mean...how would they know? It can hardly be asserted as a fact in the way that article suggests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

This Prime Time makes for desperately sad viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Something seriously fishy going on there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Very sad story

For those of us who can't see it, could someone give a run down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Ipso wrote: »
    For those of us who can't see it, could someone give a run down.

To follow on from the Irish Times' stories linked above, Prime Time interviewed the daughters and brother of the missing woman. One of the daughters spoke about the night her mother disappeared in 1985. There was a bit of a party in the house (really, just tea and sandwiches after the pub), and mother Barbara brought a female friend into the girls' room to 'show' her the new baby, a 9-month-old daughter. The older girls remember their mother cooing over the baby. Then, very early the following day, one of the daughters happened to get out of bed. She found her mother asleep on a settee and so she brought her a pillow and blanket, to make her more comfortable. That was the last time she saw her mother. It was desperately sad.
    The daughters noted that their father did a great job bringing them up, and would get upset at Christmastime and around the time of his wife's birthday.
    Primetime also noted that a man who lived nearby/in Connemara was later charged with a sex offence against a woman.
    One garda who was interviewed (who had no involvement in the original case) said there was little point judging the 1985 investigation by today's standards. The programme noted that the 1980s investigation was conducted in English, and raised the possibility that, given the lingua franca in the area was Gaeilge, something may have been lost in translation.
    I'd recommend looking it up on the Player, if you can.

To follow on from the Irish Times' stories linked above, Prime Time interviewed the daughters and brother of the missing woman. One of the daughters spoke about the night her mother disappeared in 1985. There was a bit of a party in the house (really, just tea and sandwiches after the pub), and mother Barbara brought a female friend into the girls' room to 'show' her the new baby, a 9-month-old daughter. The older girls remember their mother cooing over the baby. Then, very early the following day, one of the daughters happened to get out of bed. She found her mother asleep on a settee and so she brought her a pillow and blanket, to make her more comfortable. That was the last time she saw her mother. It was desperately sad.
    The daughters noted that their father did a great job bringing them up, and would get upset at Christmastime and around the time of his wife's birthday.
    Primetime also noted that a man who lived nearby/in Connemara was later charged with a sex offence against a woman.
    One garda who was interviewed (who had no involvement in the original case) said there was little point judging the 1985 investigation by today's standards. The programme noted that the 1980s investigation was conducted in English, and raised the possibility that, given the lingua franca in the area was Gaeilge, something may have been lost in translation.
    I'd recommend looking it up on the Player, if you can.

Thanks. I'll try to watch it. The bit I bolded seems odd.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Of course our current garda commissioner is from the area too ...

do you think he might be a suspect ?

mynamejeff wrote: »
    do you think she might be a suspect ?

I think the person the daughter wanted the gaurds to search their garden with the dogs is probably a bigger suspect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

lots of stories of people (adults & children) going missing in rural ireland over the years, with investigating gardai coming up against a brick wall as communities close in, in a clanish/tribalistic type of way

don't be tellin

fryup wrote: »
    lots of stories of people (adults & children) going missing in rural ireland over the years, with investigating gardai coming up against a brick wall as communities close in, in a clanish/tribalistic type of way

don't be tellin

Irish society had a dark underbelly, when people complain about the church and the impact it had on society sometimes I wonder about the effect society had on the church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

don't be tellin

Any examples?

It's like something out of The Field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Any examples?

mary boyle in donegal

Bernadette Connolly in sligo

mary boyle in donegal

Bernadette Connolly in sligo

Missing postman waterford....still not talked about!

(Also implications of the gaurds involved there)

Father Niall Molloy, although our betters seem to be involved in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Is it just me or were they kind of alluding to something/someone without saying it outright?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

The Baiba Saulite case.
    The Gardai have a big dirty secret to cover up in that one.
    They got a Prime Time expose pulled hours before it was due to air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Ipso wrote: »
    Father Niall Molloy, although our betters seem to be involved in that.

There was a prominent FF politician in the house the night Molloy was beaten to death. Let's dispose of this case as quikly and quietly as possible.

The second story you linked to is
    (a) 22 years old
    (b) Refers to a drug seizure in Kilkenny
    (c) Was caused by a Garda Intelligence operation that went wrong

What either story you have linked has to do with the presumed murder of the woman in Carna is beyond me.
    It refers to:
    And in July 2004 a similar cargo, worth IR£10m, was found on a quiet beach near Ballyconneely in Connemara...

It's to point out there is a certain lawlessness in more isolated parts.

It refers to:
    And in July 2004 a similar cargo, worth IR£10m, was found on a quiet beach near Ballyconneely in Connemara...

How much is IR£10m in euros?

branie2 wrote: »
    How much is IR£10m in euros?
    €13m
    Just washed up on a beach, just like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

It refers to:

Lads out in Connemara might be a bit wild at times, but it's a bit of a stretch to suggest they are international drug traffickers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

It refers to:

I doubt theres a drug trafficking gang natives of Connemara responsible for this!

What happens in these cases is that a cargo ship, say bound for Galway Docks, anchors to wait for the correct tides, permissions to dock.

The drugs are then dropped off the side of the ship (obviously attached to some inflatable to allow them to be identified and now with trackers) and collected by small boat by the contacts on land.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Juran

I grew up 20 miles from here, I remember the 80's pretty well but i never heard of this case until 2015 when the media reported the re-opening of the investigation. My friends said the same. It's very sad and my heart goes out to her kids.

Two things struck me:
    1. Why was she sleeping on the sofa on her own and not in bed ... i know they 'mentioned' on prime time that she was seen having an argument with her husband. The daughters did not say if it was common for mum to sleep on the couch.
    2. People who wear glasses never leave home without them - this was also mentioned by the Garda but not stressed by the relatives during the TV report.

Advertisement