Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad question/help

• 08-11-2015 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭

Couple of things, I have a load of photos on my laptop I want to transfer to iPad, what's the quickest way?

I thought I'd connect it and drag and drop but it's not letting me. "Cannot copy item" then "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected. .

Then I thought I'd try through iTunes, problem is the iPad is a year old and was never set up on iTunes before so it now wants to set up as new or restore from old, I want neither.

Any ideas on the photos first of all and then on how to sync with iTunes without losing everything on it now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

podge018 wrote: »
    Couple of things, I have a load of photos on my laptop I want to transfer to iPad, what's the quickest way?

I thought I'd connect it and drag and drop but it's not letting me.

Then I though I'd try through iTunes, problem is the iPad is a year old and was never set up on iTunes before so it now wants to set up as new or restore from old, I want neither.

Any ideas on the photos first of all and then on how to sync with iTunes without losing everything on it now.

Drag and drop file sharing doesn't really work like you'd think on iOS, afaik.

I use the Google photos app on my iPhone to back all my photos you to my Google account. Then they're available on all my devices through Google. That's one possible solution for you to consider. It's less ring fenced than Apple photo sharing/back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

I thought I'd connect it and drag and drop but it's not letting me. "Cannot copy item" then "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected. .

Then I thought I'd try through iTunes, problem is the iPad is a year old and was never set up on iTunes before so it now wants to set up as new or restore from old, I want neither.

First things first. On your iPad go to settings>>iCloud>backup and click back up now. That way if anything happens while you are loading photos you can restore the iPad and nothing will be lost.

The easiest way to do this is through iTunes. when you connect your iOS device select new device. it doesn't do anything to the device it just recognises the device as an additional one on that Pc. Then just go to the device tab and select what photos you want to load. BACK UP YOU iOS DEVICE BEFORE YOU START. just in case the gremlins come out to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭podge018

Just go to the device tab and select what photos I want to load?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

Just go to the device tab and select what photos I want to load?

Yea if you click on your iOS device, look down the right hand side it should give you the ability to select photo libraries. If you have iCloud photo library enabled you can load the photos through iCloud.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭podge018

it's an absolute rigmarole, you have to select a folder to sync from. As far as I can work out you'd have to set up one specific folder to put all the various pics you want into to sync from each time. You can't simply use the various photo folders on your laptop.

Decided to go with the google photos app as recommended by Wayne above. A lot easier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement