Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in dubai

Options
  • 08-11-2015 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

I know there are many threads on this topic so feel free to merge. I'm wondering about teaching in Dubai. Me and my boyfriend are thinking of it but it seems to be a more female dominated profession, are there guys there? Would we be accommodated together if we applied? If one of us got it and the other didn't would the other be able to get a regular job over there from home? Anyone there now can you tell me what the cut off age is?

My friend lives over there and teaches, she loves it, but I think the way it works is you may not necessarily get Dubai, it could be one of the surrounding areas when you apply for a teaching position. And I could be wrong, but I think I remember my friend saying that men and women cannot live together over there unless they are married, so research it fully before committing to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

You won't be accommodated together unless you are married and I actually don't know of any schools that would accommodate a married couple, they would probably give you an accommodation allowance, bare in mind this is usually below market rate. I think there are more female than male teachers but there are plenty of male teachers. Are you qualified teachers? What do you mean by a regular job? You need to be highly qualified to be considered for most roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Some schools do take on people with just degrees, but they are not great payers and not usually in Dubai itself. A friend of mine with a degree worked in Sharjah (next emirate) for Choueifat. It was not a great experience, Sharjah is a lot stricter than Dubai, shoulders covered no alcohol, no public beaches that you can use to swim etc... Her salary was 8000aed her accommodation was included but it was not great and she had to share with a stranger. If you do get something I would suggest you only accept it if its in Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Al Ain. Al Ain is pretty quiet but is supposed to be quiet nice. 8000 will not go that far unless you are frugal and if you spend your weekends coming into Dubai to have a night out it will go quickly. Just to clarify a qualified teacher with exp would get approx 17000aed+ not trying to put you off just letting you know.

• Advertisement

It might be worth considering it for two years, some teaching jobs give a decent handshake for two years. My friend that worked in Choueifat got 10k/euros after two years, she hadn't saved much so it was worth holding out for it. Not all schools do it, I'm sure someone else will know more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

OP, in case you hadn't seen it, we have a specific Teaching Abroad forum.

Advertisement