Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am2± board

Options
  • 08-11-2015 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi guys,

My desktop pc has been sorely ignored of recent years, I don't play many games and have been happy enough going about my coding and daily use with my laptop which at home is hooked up to my monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Laptop has an i5 and 8gigs of ram.

I would like to assemble a budget desktop pc capable of some 1080p video editing and the ability to play fallout 4 (I know marketing hype eh?) at 1080p and 60fps with good settings.

The only thing's I would definitely keep from the build is the 600w psu and one of the hdd.

The desktop has an am2+ board and I am wondering if there is anything at all to be said for putting in a used phenom 2 x6 and cooler or similar over a new board and a recent mid level cpu?

Apologies for the disjointed post.

Edit- wrong forum, can a mod move to pc building & upgrading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

IMO AM2+ isn't worth keeping gaming wise, it's a pretty old chipset.

Have you a budget in mind for a new build?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

ScottStorm wrote: »
    The desktop has an am2+ board and I am wondering if there is anything at all to be said for putting in a used phenom 2 x6 and cooler or similar over a new board and a recent mid level cpu?

A mid-level i5 would be much better for gaming, that Phenom is barely equivalent (when overclocked) to first gen i5s.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

grindle wrote: »
    A mid-level i5 would be much better for gaming, that Phenom is barely equivalent (when overclocked) to first gen i5s.

Thought as much, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

IMO AM2+ isn't worth keeping gaming wise, it's a pretty old chipset.

Have you a budget in mind for a new build?

No real budget set aside as it's not a priority.

I guess, I'll start saving up and put a decent build together.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'd start at about €400 knowing the builds that are here, and add as much as you want on top of that

• Advertisement
Advertisement