Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random crashes and stalls when accessing hard drive.

Options
  • 08-11-2015 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭

My system has three hard drives,
    250gb Samsung SSD (boot drive)
    1tb Western digital black
    2tb western digital green.

When transferring files to or from the green hd the data transfer rate will fluctuate wildly and often drop to zero, after a while (generally 3-5 minutes) it will just resume again and all of the data will copy over, it doesn’t seem to matter if it is one single large file or multiple smaller files. During the time I am transferring to the drive the rest of the system will become unstable and random programs like Firefox or Photoshop will crash.

The problem only occurs when transferring files to and from the green drive regardless of the source, it could be either of the two other internal drives or an external drive or usb. Transferring files between the ssd and black drive, or external drives causes no problems.

I have run chkdsk and western digital own diagnostics and found no problems. I am thinking for safety sake I might just replace the drive, is there anything else I should look at before I do?

the rest of the system is,
    I5 2500K
    12GB DDR3
    R9 270X
    Corsair 850TX power supply

Many thanks, flyingsnail

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Sounds like a dying drive, take everything off it while its still working and then bin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Hi there

Download crystal disk and run it on green drive if it fails new hardrive needed hope i helped.

Advertisement