If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40" or Under TV With Great Sound

Options
  • 08-11-2015 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to replace the bedroom TV which is a Sony 32V4500 as it's getting a bit long in the tooth and starting to do odd things....

So the four criteria I have are:
    1) 40" or under
    2) Have great sound as I don't want to buy a soundbar, soundbase etc. The current TV is running a PC speakers and sub setup but I'd like to remove that if possible.
    3) Current TV is only 720p so I'd like 1080p on this new one.
    4) Send a 5.1/7.1 HD bitstream (Dolby/TrueHD/Atmos, DTS/DTS-MSTR/DTS:X) to the TV and it can downmix that to 2 channels (my 32V4500 can't do that it)

It will be running off Zone 2 of my Marantz 7702 so has media players, sat boxes etc running to it. No need for any Smart features or anything like that. Obviously as it's a bedroom TV it should be cheap!

Appreciate any suggestions. 

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

SachaJ wrote: »
    I'm looking to replace the bedroom TV which is a Sony 32V4500 as it's getting a bit long in the tooth and starting to do odd things....

1) 40" or under
    2) Have great sound as I don't want to buy a soundbar, soundbase etc. The current TV is running a PC speakers and sub setup but I'd like to remove that if possible.
    4) Send a 5.1/7.1 HD bitstream (Dolby/TrueHD/Atmos, DTS/DTS-MSTR/DTS:X)  to the TV and it can downmix that to 2 channels (my 32V4500 can't do that it)

It will be running off Zone 2 of my Marantz 7702 so has media players, sat boxes etc running to it. No need for any Smart features or anything like that. Obviously as it's a bedroom TV it should be cheap!

HI Sachaj, many thanks for your enquiry

At the minute if you want a screen under 40" you would have to drop down to 32", there ren't really any in between

If you could go with the 40", there are a couple of models to look at

Hisense LTDN40D36- http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/hisense/40-inch/hise-ltdn40d36tuk at £239/€349 - a great budget 40" full 1080p HD tv

Sony KDL40W705 - http://euro.richersounds.ie/cssearch.aspx?searchterm=40w705 at £379/€529

Sound wise to be honest most modern TVs are on a par with each other, due to how slim they are.

There aren't any TVs which will downmix a 5.1/7.1 bitstream signal, you would need to set your amp output to PCM/stereo

Any other questions please let me know
     Cheers
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

1) 40" or under
    4) Send a 5.1/7.1 HD bitstream (Dolby/TrueHD/Atmos, DTS/DTS-MSTR/DTS:X)  to the TV and it can downmix that to 2 channels (my 32V4500 can't do that it)

HI Sachaj, many thanks for your enquiry

At the minute if you want a screen under 40" you would have to drop down to 32", there ren't really any in between

If you could go with the 40", there are a couple of models to look at

Hisense LTDN40D36- http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/hisense/40-inch/hise-ltdn40d36tuk at £239/€349 - a great budget 40" full 1080p HD tv

Sony KDL40W705 - http://euro.richersounds.ie/cssearch.aspx?searchterm=40w705 at £379/€529

Sound wise to be honest most modern TVs are on a par with each other, due to how slim they are.

There aren't any TVs which will downmix a 5.1/7.1 bitstream signal, you would need to set your amp output to PCM/stereo

Any other questions please let me know
     Cheers
    Brian
    Ah ok, it looks like I'll need something else then. The processor is just passing through the audio signal to Zone 2 so I'll need something to handle that

I'm wondering would a soundbase do the job for me audio-wise? Leave the TV as it is but get a soundbase with dual HDMI-in (single HDMI out) that can decode TrueHD, DTS-MSTR/DTS:X output it. 

I wouldn't need or could depend on ARC as I doubt the TV has it so the soundbase would need a remote to control audio which I can use a Logitech Harmony with.

Looking at soundbases the Sony XT1 might do the job. Do you guys stock it?

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

Looking at soundbases the Sony XT1 might do the job. Do you guys stock it?
    Unfortunately it looks like this is a finished model, and is only available from selected stores with remaining stock.
    The nearest equivalent would be the Cambridge TV2 - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200929-tv2.aspx at €279 but it won't decode DDigital 5.1 etc, out put would also need to be Stereo/LPCM
    You could look at the philips HTB4150 - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201538-htb4150b.aspx which has decoders for Dolby Digital and DTS at €224

Cheers
    Brian

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.