Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion heater SINK BATH switch replacement

Options
  • 08-11-2015 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hello,

First of all I do not understand the SINK/BATH switch: What does it do exactly? If you have hot water in the tank it will go to sinks and bath right so what is the point in having 2 positions?

Second my old switch gave out, the replacement looks different. I have read a few thread and I think I know how to wire it but i'd like a confirmation.

PIC of new switch attached.

I have 3 wires coming from mains: brown blue and green/yellow
    I have 4 wires going to immersion: brown black blue and green/yellow

Based on what I have read I would wire as follows:

MAINS brown to L in
    MAINS blue to N in
    MAINS green/yellow to earth screw on either side

The for the immersion wires:

brown to L1 (seems to be the BATH bases on readings)
    Black to L2
    blue to N out
    Green/yellow to earth screw on either side

AND

a connection between COMMON and L out

would that sound right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

now trying to figure out how to upload a pic :)

For the first part of your question...

The heating element has two parts... one heats just the top of the tank.. the other heats all of it. Thus, when the top of the tank is heated there is enough water for sink use, when all the tank is heated, there is enough hot water for a bath..

Its not about routing the water, its about the quantity heated and electricity used.

here

For the first part of your question...

The heating element has two parts... one heats just the top of the tank.. the other heats all of it. Thus, when the top of the tank is heated there is enough water for sink use, when all the tank is heated, there is enough hot water for a bath..

Its not about routing the water, its about the quantity heated and electricity used.

Thanks for that. It generates a new question: does the tank have 2 water chambers inside it?

Miamiheat wrote: »
    Thanks for that. It generates a new question: does the tank have 2 water chambers inside it?

No, the heating elements are of different lengths and hot water stays on the top.

• Advertisement

Second my old switch gave out, the replacement looks different. I have read a few thread and I think I know how to wire it but i'd like a confirmation.

PIC of new switch attached.

I have 3 wires coming from mains: brown blue and green/yellow
    I have 4 wires going to immersion: brown black blue and green/yellow

Based on what I have read I would wire as follows:

MAINS brown to L in
    MAINS blue to N in
    MAINS green/yellow to earth screw on either side

The for the immersion wires:

brown to L1 (seems to be the BATH bases on readings)
    Black to L2
    blue to N out
    Green/yellow to earth screw on either side

AND

a connection between COMMON and L out

would that sound right?

Advertisement