Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this safe?

Options
  • 08-11-2015 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

I discovered that the earth wire in mains cable that feeds my immersion heater is stripped and runs along brown and blue insulated wires. First time i see this so i'm wondering if it's safe.
    Old house where many people have done a lot of small jobs and wondering how up to code such wiring is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭rob w

Miamiheat wrote: »
    I discovered that the earth wire in mains cable that feeds my immersion heater is stripped and runs along brown and blue insulated wires. First time i see this so i'm wondering if it's safe.
    Old house where many people have done a lot of small jobs and wondering how up to code such wiring is.

Perfectly normal and safe to be feeding the immersion switch.

The cable from the switch to the immersion heater itself should be heat resistant flexible cable though!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

rob w wrote: »
    Perfectly normal and safe to be feeding the immersion switch.

The cable from the switch to the immersion heater itself should be heat resistant flexible cable though!

YES the cable linking the switch to the heater is a flexible insulated cable with 4 insulated wires inside.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Miamiheat wrote: »

It's perfectly safe that's called twin and earth and it is used for all domestic electrical circuits sockets,lights,cooker,shower ,mains cable

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

As said above it's twin and earth.

The earth isn't stripped it has no sheath on it(insulation)

You see the yellow/green strip on it is sleeving which is added by installer.

If you open a socket in most cases this is the most common cable used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

The earth isn't stripped it has no sheath on it(insulation)
    There is a sheath covering the entire cable - the cpc is uninsulated but not non-sheathed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement