Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing in the US

Options
  • 08-11-2015 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm a registered general and paediatric nurse and am thinking of moving to the US. I have researched the registration process and am fairly familiar with how it works. I cannot find any recent information about employment prospects, chances of a hospital petitioning on behalf of a nurse, peoples experiences etc. Everything I can find seems to be from a few years ago. I did contact an immigration/employment agency who told me to contact them again when I have a date for the NCLEX but didn't give me any info re feasibility of moving and getting work.

So any Irish nurses here that moved to America or anyone know any that did? I would be interested to hear how it went, best states to apply for registration in, timelines etc.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me any information, it's greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

***** Moving from Living Abroad to USA forum for more answers *****

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If US hospitals were desperate for Irish nurses, wouldn't they be advertising in the Sunday Independent? As you will see in other threads here about employment in the US, it's a big deal for an employer to organise a work visa to bring someone from abroad into a job the US as they have to show that there is a shortage of those skills in the US or that the person has a unique set of skills which are not available in the US which is how they would have organised a visa for the boxing coach Billy Walsh who departed recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Unfortunately nursing is not high demand so most hospitals wouldn't bother going through the sponsorship process. My wife said to me that most foreign nurses at her hospital are in on green card lottery or through their husbands/wives. She also said that for every opening there are 20 to 30 CA registered nurses applying.

Advertisement