Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orientate a building drawing to site drawing

Options
  • 08-11-2015 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hi all I have an issue in work, I don't know how to orientate a building drawing on cad to the site in order to pull coordinates off it.

Any and all help would be so appreciated because I'm lost at the minute.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

If you have a site survey, layout plan or a digital Ordnance Survey Map, you'll need to work within the coordinates system of that particular AutoCad drawing.

Just insert the building into that drawing at the required location.

You can then select the coordinates of the corners in a number of ways.

You could place a point at each corner and then go to Tools / Enquiry / ID Point at each one, or when you select an individual point the X, Y and Z coordinates come up under these headings in the properties box if you have it open. Alternatively draw a polyline around the building and use Tools / Enquiry / List which will give you the same result, but listing all of the points on the polyline in a list.

If you need the coordinates for setting out, there's a more involved process you'll need to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ftlnn

On the assumption they are 2 separate drawings.
    Nothing too difficult with this, but since you have not done it before it might seem daunting.
    Important that the units are the same in both drawings.
    Survey likely 1=1m and building 1=1mm.
    If this is the case you will need to scale the building down on insertion to the survey.
    You can:
    open both drawings,
    copyclip the extents of the building you require (off the buiilding drawing),
    paste this as a block into the survey drawing and if required scale down the pasted building to make units the same (0.001, if what i expect above is the case).
    Align the building to the desired location and either use any of the suggestions by supertech or use dim, ordinate option.

If you need to post the drawings i could complete the steps for you but you will need to establish where the building lies on the survey.

Advertisement