Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irelands fittest family

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,706 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Leaving Ruth last at the wall cost them.

Didnt expect that.

Delighted for Davy and the O'Mahony's!

Those 3 boys are beasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

Oh jesus the injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Ruth is very good looking to be fair to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭ax530

Great final ! Would love to have seen Allan family do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Anniepowaaa

Absolute brain dead not firing the girl over first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Delighted for the O Mahoneys, three great lads who literally dragged their Mam the whole way through it .
    Allen family, brilliant, they just lost it on the wall .

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Loyal Lady

The mother here has just suggested we enter next year lol

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The tactics at the wall were the nail in the Allens' coffin.

But that shot of the son and Ruth rushing to hold Ticey up after the log sprint is still my favourite bit of any series of this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

In fairness, that lady (didn't catch her first name Mrs O Mahony) is not getting the credit she deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Loyal Lady wrote: »
    The mother here has just suggested we enter next year lol

Lol start training in the morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Loyal Lady

Lol start training in the morning

Better start by putting down the sharing bag of taytos that I’m NOT sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Is donacha to blame for not telling them the propper order for the wall?
    I'd have thought every single stage would be gone through in detail with each role outlined with specific instructions and orders given. That wall decision literally cost them.

The winners were class tho. Does anyone know tho composition of previous winning teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Is donacha to blame for not telling them the propper order for the wall?
    I'd have thought every single stage would be gone through in detail with each role outlined with specific instructions and orders given. That wall decision literally cost them.

The winners were class tho. Does anyone know tho composition of previous winning teams?

Looked like the plan went out the window and panic set in when they saw the lads coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Only a farmer would think to stack the bales

I disagree. I would have done the same and I ain't a farmer.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

As a Wexford person delighted for the family. However the Allens were great as well. As for Ruth she's beautiful, intelligent and tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

I've been up for Allen's since I saw Ticey do that sitting wall thing at the start, he was unbelievable.

They were so strong why did the make silly decision of leaving Ruth as smallest last on wall a mad decision and they had been so strong all along.

An awful shame but always going to be tough against those three lads on other team, pure power horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

I unashamedly admit how much I love this show !

Whatever about the coaches / the families put their whole lives into it, and it’s tough as **** !

I’d love to see a sort of spin off. Like , GAA team v a soccer team or rugby team?

It’s a great format!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Shame the allens lost that, had the winning of it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

doughef wrote: »

Whatever about the coaches / the families put their whole lives into it, and it’s tough as **** !

I’d love to see a sort of spin off. Like , GAA team v a soccer team or rugby team?

It’s a great format!

yeah was just thinking last week that a spin off show with 4 GAA players from the same county on each team would be fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It’s a great format!
    That's kind of how they pitched the first few series - it was the GAA-mad X family against the Crossfit addicts Y family, and the cross-country running Z family etc etc (and the cross country runners always , always won!)

They seem to just run it on county rivalry nowadays, which is much more boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,093 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Piehead wrote: »
    Where is the location of the final?
    All of this year's show has been filmed on Kilruddery Estate in Wicklow, home of the Hell and Back runs, on the side of the Sugar Loaf.

It’s a great format!

I'm amazed they haven't sold the format to other countries. That's where the big money in TV happens, when you have a format like Big Brother or Dragon's Den that can travel anywhere. This would make great family TV in any country.

Fair play to Davey and RTE for making this happen - great family entertainment and great role models.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

All of this year's show has been filmed on Kilruddery Estate in Wicklow, home of the Hell and Back runs, on the side of the Sugar Loaf.

I'm amazed they haven't sold the format to other countries. That's where the big money in TV happens, when you have a format like Big Brother or Dragon's Den that can travel anywhere. This would make great family TV in any country.

Fair play to Davey and RTE for making this happen - great family entertainment and great role models.

They have sold format to other countries. There already has or is series coming very soon in Sweden, Germany and few others

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

It’s a great format!

Look out for Go Gasta on TG4 later this year. Parish against Parish in a similar format although not as polished.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Format has sold to numerous territories, Just not the ones we'd see.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

This season built to a great end. Great entertainment.

Well done to the Mahonys. The 3 lads really looked after the mother, she was a feisty competitor. I think their team make up gives the best chance of winning. I thought the Allen’s were going to win it, but they weren’t thinking at the wall and that cost them. I’m shocked that Ticey is only 50. I was reluctant to write of the Mileys, I expected to see them power through them eliminator and win the whole thing but they cam up just short.

I think on the coaching front Derval is the best. She is calm and sensible and executes her plan for each family very well. Based on the first episode I expected the Kulcyzinski’s to win but the parents really struggled in the semi finals.

Could to see that it has been sold internationally, I can see it being very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,093 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

TheBlock wrote: »
    Format has sold to numerous territories, Just not the ones we'd see.

Delighted for Davey to hear it;

https://www.clareecho.ie/tv-show-created-by-clare-men-to-be-aired-in-sweden/
    Co-creators of Ireland’s Fittest Family, James Sexton and Davy Fitzgerald have already benefited from international equivalents of the show being produced in Chile, Croatia, Germany, Hungary and Slovenia.

They now have another country added to the list following confirmation that Swedish broadcaster, SVT would premiere eight sixty minute episodes of the show in the third quarter of 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

In fairness, that lady (didn't catch her first name Mrs O Mahony) is not getting the credit she deserves.

Absolutely, 53, only running 3 months.

Even being dragged she had to keep fighting and moving her legs.

It's unfair comparing Mam's in their 50s with younger competitors and also with fathers. Ticey had the advantage of being male and 3 years younger as the opposing parent in the final. 3 years is a lot at that age, believe me!

Joanne O'Mahony competed brilliantly against the odds, throughout. And I loved her fiestyness!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

If anyone's intirested, there's a great breakdown of how the famalies and coaches fared throughout the history of the show on the IFF wikipedia page.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland%27s_Fittest_Family

I have to admit, i really like this new format. It's much better than going over a course in the Dublin docklands and then running around Croke Park.

Apparently, they've sold the format all over the place.
    https://www.clareecho.ie/tv-show-created-by-clare-men-to-be-aired-in-sweden/
    Edit: beaten to it

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Great Final Show. We'll done Rte and the production company involved. Not often I would say that.

Thought the Allens were a shoe in to win it. Just the slip up at the wall cost them big time.

Great team spirit shown by all competitors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

appledrop wrote: »
    I've been up for Allen's since I saw Ticey do that sitting wall thing at the start, he was unbelievable.

They were so strong why did the make silly decision of leaving Ruth as smallest last on wall a mad decision and they had been so strong all along.

An awful shame but always going to be tough against those three lads on other team, pure power horses.

When under serious pressure and oxygen debt it's very easy make a wrong decision. I wouldn't blame the family for Ruth being left last. It's hard as they'll blame themselves. And Ruth is the best female I've ever seen on the show.

Advertisement