Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irelands fittest family

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

KT shoving the mike in the young fellas face asking him to say something after picking the wrong rope was a bit silly.

WTF did she expect him to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

I enjoy IFF but jaysus Kathryn Thomas ruins it with that screaming and the faux enthusiasm. Could RTE not have given the gig to someone (anyone) else?! Stick a newcomer in there to give them a chance in Mairead's place.

Agreed with other posters on the vertigo challenge. I'd have no issue with doing the fitness trials and courses (badly and slowly) but ask me to walk out on that gangplank above Irish life building, no way, not happening. I was feeling queasy watching it. They should have done a time trial or something. Or even a good aul fashioned tug of war :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

mojesius wrote: »
    I enjoy IFF but jaysus Kathryn Thomas ruins it with that screaming and the faux enthusiasm. Could RTE not have given the gig to someone (anyone) else?! Stick a newcomer in there to give them a chance in Mairead's place.

Being awful is her special talent.

I used to like Katherine Thomas but lately she seems to think that all she has to do is howl and shriek and make silly faces. She made a "oh oh" face after the young guy balked, - to raise a cheap laugh for her own cleverness. It was a bit smart of her. Mairead would never make little of the contestants in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

I like Kathryn Thomas, she always comes across as enthusiastic and actually enjoying what she does. That isn’t something I’d say about everyone in Montrose.

I enjoyed the first challenge on bull island, the top 4 really separated themselves from the pack. I thought the vertigo challenge was a very unfair to eliminate families and had absolutely nothing to with fitness. I felt really sorry for the poor young lad who decided he couldn’t do it, his family weren’t impressed. Kinda funny that there are cousins taking part I wonder do they get many applications?

I don’t know how Donnacha O’Callaghan played international rugby, he was a bundle of nerves watching the families, very entertaining. I still they could add a bit to the prize pot, I think €15k is a bit stingy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I think Donnacha might of had a few too many bangs to the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

KT shoving the mike in the young fellas face asking him to say something after picking the wrong rope was a bit silly.

WTF did she expect him to say.
    I fcuked up big time

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

mojesius wrote: »

Agreed with other posters on the vertigo challenge. I'd have no issue with doing the fitness trials and courses (badly and slowly) but ask me to walk out on that gangplank above Irish life building, no way, not happening. I was feeling queasy watching it. They should have done a time trial or something. Or even a good aul fashioned tug of war :D

I would have no problem doing the vertigo challenge but agree it was an unfair way to find which family's should go to the next round.

I agree they should have got someone new. Time for Kathryn Thomas to retire from RTE I think.
    inthehat wrote: »
    I used to like Katherine Thomas but lately she seems to think that all she has to do is howl and shriek and make silly faces. She made a "oh oh" face after the young guy balked, - to raise a cheap laugh for her own cleverness. It was a bit smart of her. Mairead would never make little of the contestants in that way.

I used to like her when she was doing the travel show but don't like her anymore. I think she is very stuck up now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Good episode tonight - looks like this was the location
    http://www.abandonedireland.com/Portlaw_1.html

We were confused as to why one group got the fire engine pull and others got the tyres? And it looks like the same next week.

I think some of you may have been a bit harsh on Kathryn. I was looking out specially to see if she was shouting, but it didn't come across that way to me.

It is great family viewing - positive role models and great engagement. I'm surprised they haven't sold the format to the UK or elsewhere, as it should transfer easily to other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

We were confused as to why one group got the fire engine pull and others got the tyres? And it looks like the same next week.

I think some of you may have been a bit harsh on Kathryn. I was looking out specially to see if she was shouting, but it didn't come across that way to me.

It is great family viewing - positive role models and great engagement. I'm surprised they haven't sold the format to the UK or elsewhere, as it should transfer easily to other countries.
    I don’t mind Kathryn-like her positivity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Agreed. Tis great family viewing. The kids love it.
    Don't really care about the presenter either way.

Agreed. She was much better tonight, like the old Katherine that we knew and loved!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

inthehat wrote: »
    Agreed. She was much better tonight, like the old Katherine that we knew and loved!

She’s a unique talent, she hasn’t got much but it’s unique that rte keep employing her

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I think its a great programme - very rare I watch anything on RTE!
    But I do think that the vertical challenge should have been a timed race for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Polish dad was strong as a bull but there was no way he was getting up the ramp.

The competition doesn't seem to suit really big guys with a lot of muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Just can`t listen to this program, its half interesting if you turn the sound down but Kathryn Thomas, the shrieking and shouting is too much

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Just can`t listen to this program, its half interesting if you turn the sound down but Kathryn Thomas, the shrieking and shouting is too much

She's not even in it that much......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I wondered the same myself but presume the reason they had two separate events was to avoid us literally having to watch six different teams in a row pulling a fire engine- and then another six of them pulling it again next week. Having two different events means a bit of variety over the hour, it might not be the fairest on the teams but they are making TV to entertain us and I would guess two episodes of teams only pulling a fire engine would have a lot of people switching off through boredom.

In any case I thought last nights episode was decent, helped massively by Kathryn not being in it all that much compared to the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

The Polish dad was strong as a bull but there was no way he was getting up the ramp.

Yep, he was never getting up that ramp. Davy then forcing him on up it even after they'd lost was fairly cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

honeybear wrote: »
    I don’t mind Kathryn-like her positivity

I call her shouting Thomas as in doubting Thomas.

I'll get my coat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

True that, remember the Daverns,they were lumps of lads but always the bridesmaid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Yep, he was never getting up that ramp. Davy then forcing him on up it even after they'd lost was fairly cruel.
    They were out so I would have told him to shove it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Me too, dunno why they have to scream at people, sod off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

anyone know where is this being filmed? looks like a hotel or something that was built 10 years ago but never finished

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

anyone know where is this being filmed? looks like a hotel or something that was built 10 years ago but never finished

From earlier in the thread, this place has been put forward as the place the episode on Sunday last was filmed:

They tend to have different locations for different episodes depending on the challenges set.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Anna geary makes it more about herself than the contestants

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

True that, remember the Daverns,they were lumps of lads but always the bridesmaid

The Davorens tried for a few years and always fell short due to lack of aerobic fitness. It sounds cruel but they were show ponies with no cutting. Not one of them was an all round athlete and strong like Tom Devine O'Brien of the 2015 winners. Big muscles does not equate to overall fitness and desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm open to correction on this, but the cross-country runner families seem to do disproportionately well in this.

Makes me look at running (which I hate with a passion, but had me at my fittest when I did a bit of it, very badly, a while back) in a whole different light!

The "pure strength" families never seem to do well although a lot of the tasks would seem to suit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

Fair play Lallys. Well thought out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Fair play Lallys. Well thought out.

Mon the dubz lol

Advertisement