Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteorite

Options
  • 08-11-2015 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Anybody see that amazing meteorite tonigh 20:10 Aprox south direction? Seen it from north of mullingar

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Drat, missed another one

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Pure Mule

Saw one yesterday. South as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Irish Weather is reporting it was seen right across tonight Ireland.

Someone called Michael O'Connell in Kildare managed to video it. It's here

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

Saw same one at around the same time around Virginia Cavan area it was very bright! It was coming from southerly direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Yep, saw it this evening, it was pretty spectacular, at first I thought it was a firework going off.

I was driving in the countryside when I saw it, it was very dark (no other cars) and the sky was completely clear. Looked to me like it was travelling roughly north to south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Yep, saw it this evening, it was pretty spectacular, at first I thought it was a firework going off.

I was driving in the countryside when I saw it, it was very dark (no other cars) and the sky was completely clear. Looked to me like it was travelling roughly north to south.

Saw it myself in Cork and thought it was a firework too, very bright and intense.

I actually saw 2 bursts that happened within 10 seconds of each other in the same direction, but a good distance apart from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Michael is part of a large network of astronomers with all-sky cameras set up to watch for these all the time.

He reckons it fell into the Irish Sea off the coast of Wales, in the direction of Cardiff.

Nice capture on the video :)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Mrs saw it over Tullamore as we were driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

it's only a meteorite if something is found on the ground--yeah nit pickitty I know but it's a meteor until it lands ;-)

some landed in my house for Christmas-check my adverts in next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

Doge wrote: »
    I actually saw 2 bursts that happened within 10 seconds of each other in the same direction, but a good distance apart from each other.

Sat or Sunday? The above best describes what I saw Saturday evening at approximately 8:20 to the south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

I'm in southern france and saw a bright one Friday night in northern direction. Pretty sure it came from the direction of the Taurids.

Seemed to have been seen by others across the region:
    http://fireballs.imo.net/imo_view/event/2015/3123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Spotted something real bright falling from the sky lookng north west ish of athlone about 20 mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭ps200306

One from last September ... a meteorite fell through the roof of a house in San Carlos, Maldonado, Uruguay. It broke a bed, a floor, and an LED TV. It's the first known example of a meteorite breaking an electronic device. I wonder how your home contents insurance would deal with that one :pac:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/mpml/conversations/topics/31392

https://www.facebook.com/Meteorite-of-San-Carlos-Uruguay-806171216159189/

Advertisement